Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel bearing play - should I take action?

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
I've just had my 120 looked over by a local garage (they deal with big diesels, Hiluxs, etc. all the time). They looked over the driveline and suspension, other than some low(ish) brake pads all they picked up on was the OSF wheel bearing having a little play in it. They said it's nothing to worry about as it's minor.

So, do I just ignore it or is there something I can do to prevent it worsening?

I'm swapping the front discs soon so, while I'm there, should I clean, re-grease and nip it up? Or just leave it as recommended?

Easier to change than on the 90s (which can be a pain), they now come as a unit that bolts onto the steering knuckle. As far as I know (haven't changed mine yet) they are sealed roller bearings, so you can't really re grease or snug them up. If they're not noisy, they'll probably be ok for a while, but worth keeping an eye (or ear) on.

Easier to change than on the 90s (which can be a pain), they now come as a unit that bolts onto the steering knuckle. As far as I know (haven't changed mine yet) they are sealed roller bearings, so you can't really re grease or snug them up. If they're not noisy, they'll probably be ok for a while, but worth keeping an eye (or ear) on.

I've just done a little research and you're right. Sealed unit. Oh well, not a drama. I'll keep on trucking until they get rumbly.

Back