Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheel stud removal and size

roy

Country Flag
scotland
hi there,

i am looking to fit longer studs on my hubs so i can run some spacers i have got in from the US, i guess their toyota trucks come with longer studs over there.

i looks like the studs need to be about 10 - 15 mm longer.

can anyone confirm the stud length when they are removed from the hub ?

is there much invloved with removing the front and rear hubs so i can change the studs ?
i have not had a chance to inspect it myself.

cheers roy

roy said:
Is there much invloved with removing the front and rear hubs so i can change the studs ?
i have not had a chance to inspect it myself.

cheers roy

Roy,

The studs just knock out to the rear. I have removed a front one without having to remove the hub (in order to drill out a dust shield bolt through the stud hole :lol: ).

Rear hub:

Rearhalfshaftbearingsseals-1.jpg

Front hub:

90FrontHub.jpg

I have no idea why there are different studs for LH & RH hubs. They are not reverse-threaded on the RH :think:

I'm afraid I can't help with the standard stud length. The truck is all together and I need it tomorrow :lol: .

Bob.

As I happen to have my front off side hub off I can tell you the stud length for mine are 45mm... dunno if that's standard and how it related to the near side or the rear, but at least you have the one side

Really odd this (and we have covered it in detail before) but some Colorados come with different length studs front and back. When I tried spacers on Lil Blue I had no issues, but try the same spacers on another truck and the fronts wouldn't go on. There doesn't seem t be any rhyme nor reason. We wondered if imports with coolers on had thicker discs perhaps. Nope. Short wheelbases might be different to longs. Nope. We went through the part number thing too and never actually came up with an answer.

Best of luck.

I was trawling through fleabay and happened on these rather crappy wheel spacers.

Item number: 220962254151

LCSpacers.jpg

They do mention about cutting down the studs to make them fit.

Like Chris said, it would be interesting to find the criteria for the differing length wheel studs.

Gra.

Like Gra - said. These are crappy. Please do not buy these. They are shocking. I had some once. Very very poor idea which relies on not having all the wheel nut tight in order to get the spacer on!!!!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Like Gra - said. These are crappy. Please do not buy these. They are shocking. I had some once. Very very poor idea which relies on not having all the wheel nut tight in order to get the spacer on!!!!

Chris

I know i bought them off of you :lol:

and soon after bought some roughtrax ones and flogged the cheapies on the bay.

Joe

I had the same issue on big clean when I put the roughtrax on, I couldn't get the right size so I had to cut them down. If you go down this option be sure to cut them identically. Otherwise you'll have issues with balance !

Did you Joe? Blimey, don't remember that. I was wondering where they went. Probably all right on a road only vehicle, but I wouldn't want them on a big off roader.

Chris

Chris said:
Did you Joe? Blimey, don't remember that. I was wondering where they went. Probably all right on a road only vehicle, but I wouldn't want them on a big off roader.

Chris

Yeah i bought them off you at my first lincomb farm experience they did me justice when i first fitted the 120 series wheels and once i was happy that 30mm spacers looked ok i bought the roughtrax ones and shifted the others on through ebay. :D

sorry back on topic now.

Joe

Back