Where is the front diff level plug ?

markjones

Country Flag
england
Help !
this may sound like a daft question but where is the filler
level plug on the front diff ?
is it the nut on the front bowl ?
Also what oil would you recommend i use ?
Thanks
ps not sure if I put this question in the right place
i have a 4.2 vx amazon r reg :)

Yes, it's the dirty great big 24mm nut on the front of the diff.

Look in your handbook for the oil. From memory it's 80w 90. Same at the back axle

Yes, it's the dirty great big 24mm nut on the front of the diff.

Look in your handbook for the oil. From memory it's 80w 90. Same at the back axle

Mmmmmm thank you for that :)
i didn't think toyota would put a dirty great bbolt like
that for show lol
i only asked if that was the filler plug as I cannot get the
b@@@y thing undone lol llol but
thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)
i don't have a hand book so not sure what oil to put in :(
thanks again :)

Ahh well then don't drain it!

The plugs can be tricky little suckers. Don't bodge it. Your best option is a 24mm socket that has been turned down in a lathe. The plug head is very shallow and a std socket slips off due to the bevel inside. If you face off the socket it will fit flush. You can also try a ring spanner that lies flatter too. Failing all of that we do weld a nut onto to the plug and get it out that way. It doesn't need torquing up tight really and people do over tighten them.

The oil I mentioned will be fine. As long as it's API GL5 Hypoid gear oil SAE 90 would be fine too you'll need 3 lits.

You must use EP or Hypoid oil otherwise you'll need a new front dif in about 100 yards.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mark,
Just don't ignore Chris' advice on removing the filler first - you'll be in a world of hurt if not!

Cheers,
Grant

2' breaker bar, single hex faced off socket, never been known to fail, eh Grant!!

Andy

Turned down in a lathe so there is a nice sharp right angle to the internal faces of the socket. If rounded off presumably the plug could have a bar electric welded to it.

Frank

YEAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Job done, thanks guys :)
i got a inpact socket, got it turned down,
and with a breaker bar, copper hammer and a jack, ( to lift the end of the breaker bar up :)
the bolt didnt stand a chance :)
in time i will need to drain the diff as the oil was a yuck colour
is there a diff flush ?? :)
but thanks again :)

Wish I'd have thought of those tips. You guys are so good.

:icon-rolleyes:

If the oil is dark grey in colour you probably have some cross contamination from the moly grease in the swivel housings. Ideally you should check/renew the halfshaft oil seals first but if you just want to flush the diff, IMO, the best way is to refill with some cheap oil of the correct grade and spec, drive around 50 miles or so, drain and do the same again then refill with an oil you're happy to leave in until the next 'scheduled' change, around 24k miles IIRC. Whatever you do DON'T use an engine flushing oil.

Last edited:
I agree. I also raise each side in turn so that the oil can drain fully out of each arm of the axle. There are oil retainers in the ends that keep oil up against the inner seals. In theory this could be the worst of the oil in there.

If the oil comes out OK then just refill and be on your way.

Thanks guys for your input :)
All I need to do is sort out the other problems
And find a good workshop manual
And my baby will be 100% :)
Mark

Back