Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which electric drill?

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
My trusty old Black&Decker power drill noisily gave up the ghost yesterday, so I need to find a reasonable replacement. Any advice / recommendations?

Basically looking for a decent wattage, chuck size of about 13 - 16mm, reversible, hammer action, multi-speed. And there are lots of choices with those specs!

Any info on whether to get a 'normal' drill or one of these fancy SDS or SDS+ or SDS MAX drills? And do I go for mains or battery? I already have a Bosch 18volt drill, which is a bit pathetic, IMHO.

Thanks!

I reckon cordless drills have their place but its always best to have a corded one in the tool shed as well. For DIY, I'd stick with a normal chuck then you can carry on using your collection of blunt drills with it :p

For making holes in walls and doing all manner of civil engineering an SDS+ is amazing - I got one on offer from my local screwfix a couple of years ago to clear tiles out of my living room and flatten the floor ready for a carpet, not used it much since but have drilled some serious holes in brick and breezeblock with it, it's insane! useless for drilling holes in metal though

So, I have a cordless screwdriver, a mains powered "normal" drill and my mains powered SDS+ drill, they all do different jobs, and unless you've got a job that involves drilling holes or chasing out channels in brickwork, stay away from the SDS (unless you want a Man-Points toy!)

do you want longevity? or just a cheap throwaway tool to do the job? I bought my mains powered general purpose drill as a throwaway item (£15!) but it's still going strong

Cordless will require replacement batteries after a couple of years, and again, some of the older cheap stuff is surprisingly good for what it is

If its gonna be used to destruction on a current job buy a B&Q cheap n nasty - murder it then take it back to customer service and they just tell you to take a new one . I did this 4 times when polishing a GSXR 1000 alloy frame , even the best drill will pack up when your applying pressure sideways on it all the time .

Makita, mine's been going 35 years and still shows no sign of giving up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I killed my parents 25 year old Black and Decker not long ago, and it got replaced with a corded Bosch for about £70. That seems to be doing everything I ask of it, and is not as heavy so is easier to use when just above head height (ie those times when you really ought to have got the ladder out, but can't be bothered)

I've got el-cheapo cordless ones that I use for stuff that is quick and easy, but if it's a bit harder I'll get the corded one out.

In Aus we used DeWalt's that a friend got from the US; these were cordless and the battery worked in the drill, rattle gun and circular saw... problem was that there were rarely any full batteries!

X 3 on Makita.

For cordless tho', the Panasonics are very strong and durable.
According to one old-fashioned lectric-motor-workshop, it's the only cordless worth doing any repair service on. Everything else you just throw, he said

X 4 on Makita

TBH I really can not knock my Ryobi gear though. Skill saw, Re-cip saw, Angle grinder, Hammer Drill x2, Drill/Driver, SDS, Torch, Impact Driver, Radio, Garden Sheers, Detail Sander, Jigsaw and mastic gun all with the same battery. I have no worries making sure I have a charged one either as I have a 6 pot Charging station plus 3 single ones. Best thing about the 6 pot is that it conditions the batteries aswell. I have got 10 Batteries (5xNi-cad adn 5xLI) so I usually always have 6 Fully charged ones.

I actually have quite alot of Ryobi Gear and have been more than happy with it all, especially for the price. 24v SDS is spot on and mains one for heavier work. Corded Jigsaw that I had before the cordless stuff which still runs straight and true. Table Saw which has never let me down. Draw Saw that I had before my Rage. still going strong after 5 years and about 500 square foot of decking, Dad is still using it to chop wood for his chimnea.

The only thing that has let me down over the years is the skill saw. It is absolutely perfect for board up to about 18mm but doesn't like being used on floor boards or anything too thick. Best to get the Corded Rage out for that.

Sorry for going abit OT

If its gonna be used to destruction on a current job buy a B&Q cheap n nasty - murder it then take it back to customer service and they just tell you to take a new one . I did this 4 times when polishing a GSXR 1000 alloy frame , even the best drill will pack up when your applying pressure sideways on it all the time .
This ^^^^^^^^^^

Works with high pressure patio cleaners also.

Just hammer it to death, before the 12 months is up.

Gra.

B&Q are probably the most expensive place to buy anything.

Roger

X 3 on Makita.

For cordless tho', the Panasonics are very strong and durable.
According to one old-fashioned lectric-motor-workshop, it's the only cordless worth doing any repair service on. Everything else you just throw, he said

I bought a Panasonic about 8 years ago. Bought two new batteries last year. Very expensive but nothing comes close to it for performance and strength. On high speed with a 12 mm masonry bit it goes through brick like a hot knife through butter.

Roger

X 4 on Makita

TBH I really can not knock my Ryobi gear though. Skill saw, Re-cip saw, Angle grinder, Hammer Drill x2, Drill/Driver, SDS, Torch, Impact Driver, Radio, Garden Sheers, Detail Sander, Jigsaw and mastic gun all with the same battery. I have no worries making sure I have a charged one either as I have a 6 pot Charging station plus 3 single ones. Best thing about the 6 pot is that it conditions the batteries aswell. I have got 10 Batteries (5xNi-cad adn 5xLI) so I usually always have 6 Fully charged ones.

I actually have quite alot of Ryobi Gear and have been more than happy with it all, especially for the price. 24v SDS is spot on and mains one for heavier work. Corded Jigsaw that I had before the cordless stuff which still runs straight and true. Table Saw which has never let me down. Draw Saw that I had before my Rage. still going strong after 5 years and about 500 square foot of decking, Dad is still using it to chop wood for his chimnea.

The only thing that has let me down over the years is the skill saw. It is absolutely perfect for board up to about 18mm but doesn't like being used on floor boards or anything too thick. Best to get the Corded Rage out for that.

Sorry for going abit OT

I have a Ryobi mains drill. No problems and a decent price.

Roger

X2 on the Ryobi. Recip saw, angle drill and standard drill, hedge strimmer all been good.

I have a bright orange one. :lol:

Gra.

Back