Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Jump starter pack to buy

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
Hi all I'm looking to buy an affordable jump starter pack for my 4.2 this 2004 . I've looked at a few on Amazon but not sure if the leads will be long enough
Any recommendations? Also when jump starting which leads go where?

Why do you need a jump pack? Why not fix the alternator or just get a battery if they are aging away ?

I have a 'Sealey Roadstart' pack. It incorporates an electric tyre pump and a light as well as the starter battery. The battery is from a Mobility Scooter so not very large and it is only of use as a booster, the main batter(ies) will need to have some life in them for it to work.

I started my Transit van with it the other day, but its battery was new(ish) and had run down to the point where it wouldn't quite spin the 2.5 litre diesel lump. The battery pack was just enough to fire it up.

I'm not sure how effective it would be on a 4.2 Amazon - that is one big lump of a motor !

Bob.

Bob, I think it's far more useful to just get a voltmeter and make sure the main batteries are in a good state :)

I've got one of the Clarke jump starters, think it's the same as the Sealey, just different branding. I've used it to start a few different vehicles, it did spin up the 4.2 okay when one of the twin batteries died. They're cheap enough bits of kit and work okay as long as you remember to recharge after every use. Think I've had this one 3 maybe 4 years now?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@karl2000 true.. but if I need to save someone else, I just start my car and jump them from it!

@Rosy had to jump me out of a camping trip once, long ago. And I knew my battery was in a bad state before the trip. Lessons learnt.

If you are using the jump pack regularly, maybe it's ok to get one and charge it every other week or something.

Otherwise I feel you are adding another cog to the system and potentially relying on something you don't watch or maintain. Maybe just get another battery and a split charge relay. That way atleast you know it's inline and being maintained (?)

went a bit off topic here, we now resume the regular programming... who knows of a brick that can crank a cold 1hd

I have one.
have used it to start my motorbike after I’d left the heated grips on, used it to start one of my vans after one of my chaps left the lights on, and with my crappy modern vans with electric this that & the other, stop start junk included, I keep it handy as a back up.
also use it as a power bank (heated bike jacket springs to mind as well as phone charging)..
not tried to , or needed to try it on the truck, but that’s got 2 leisure batteries I could use if necessary.

in my opinion, a useful bit of kit

I have several vehicles so I just wanted one just in case
Re the Amazon. I have fitted new batteries so all well there but wanted one powerful enough should the occasion arise
I have a van with stop start etc. If the battery isn't 100,% it won't even attempt to turn over. Like the other day when I left the ignition on for an hour with the blower running on setting 1
My baby a 500SL depends many months with just a battery conditioner attached so unlike to be prepared
I had a big jump pack from Costco excellent but bulky for all the vehicles that is why I was thinking of a more compact jump pack
Cheers all and thanks for your prompt replies
Bye from The Peak District

NOCO have always been alright for me - theres a good range depending on what youre trying to start.

Other reports on here about them havent been so great, but at least you can buy them from Halfords and then its easy to return if you have a problem.

Started my diesel 120 and a load of petrol cars no problem.

I’ve got a Clarke lithium ion jump starter which does 12v and 24v and started my 24v HJ45 no problem. It seems to keep its charge well and will work multiple times before recharging if needed.

Don't you all find the leads very short to reach an unpainted nut or something??

As long as the unit is switched off when you attach the leads, it wont spark so i believe you can safely attach it to the battery

Thanks for that but can you explain why i often read…. while jump starting a car to attach the negative lead to an unpainted item ? Correct I’m neither an auto mechanic nor electrician

When using traditional jump leads, the negative connection to the dead car is the last connection you make - this completes the circuit. The donor battery is 'always on' - there is no switch. So when you connect the lead, you complete the circuit. At this point, once the circuit completes, you can get a spark from the negative lead.

The problem is that batteries can vent explosive gasses, so the spark right on top of the battery is a bad idea!

Most jump packs have a switch, and as long as you attach the leads with the pack switched off, it wont spark. Jump packs also usually have some protection built in to make sure you dont attach the leads the wrong way around.

It's good practice to use unpainted metal for the negative if you can reach it, but with the short leads (especially on lithium iron battery packs) its not always possible. Check your jump pack - it will give you the safe instructions to use it.

Many thanks for that, I now know a little bit more
The instructions do say connect directly to the car battery as you say
thanks for your prompt reply
As the Amazon has 2 batteries does it matter which battery you attach the jump pack to ?

I have a Gooloo GT4000s. Admittedly, I have not jump started my truck and it is a bit bulky. However, I have helped jump start other people's vehicles and it works great for charging the kids' tablets. Plus, I like having a little insurance in case I forget to turn off an interior light overnight.

My thoughts too Tach - its very cheap insurance and does a few jobs. Example - I've used mine to help others get moving when they've flattened their batteries on ferry crossings (alarms activated!) and the ferry crews have been completely disinterested - Spanish ferries are a bugger for just leaving you to sort yourself out. For the price of them, they're useful bits of kit.

Back