Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which used smart phone?

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
As i'm cancelling my mobile contract with my current strawberry handset i have downgraded to PAYG to keep number but need a half decent smart phone for web browsing and emails, any suggestions or even for sale?
I know i can buy a galaxy s2 from ebay but they are quite dear.

better..... jesus...... no way not ever..... I have had an iphone for a year, I have just moved onto a HTC one X until the new iphone comes out.. I played and played with it as it has so many options and ways of doing something and yes its very customizable but jesus they are crap, the screens are massive so the battery does not even last a day, held in one hand you cannot navigate to the top of the screen with a finger and I have big hands. I have to restart it when it does not get a signal, when playing music there is interference..

Andriod is good but it is not an iPhone.

If you want a HTC one x andriod then let me know I would sell it tomorrow and go buy an iPhone 4s just to kill time until they release the next AMAZING iPhone

but yes they are expensive.

Sorry I ranted on this thread but since I have had an android I have wanted to vent my frustration. Its like using Windows over OSX, it works but its damn annoying.

spackrackman said:
better..... jesus...... no way not ever..... I have had an iphone for a year, I have just moved onto a HTC one X until the new iphone comes out.. I played and played with it as it has so many options and ways of doing something and yes its very customizable but jesus they are crap, the screens are massive so the battery does not even last a day, held in one hand you cannot navigate to the top of the screen with a finger and I have big hands. I have to restart it when it does not get a signal, when playing music there is interference..

Andriod is good but it is not an iPhone.

If you want a HTC one x andriod then let me know I would sell it tomorrow and go buy an iPhone 4s just to kill time until they release the next AMAZING iPhone

but yes they are expensive.

Sorry I ranted on this thread but since I have had an android I have wanted to vent my frustration. Its like using Windows over OSX, it works but its damn annoying.

I'm sensing you're on the fence about which phone to choose next? You really should stop dithering...

Paul, be aware though that you loose your PAYG number after 6 months of no use. I lost mine (and credit I had on it!) a while back because of that. A way to keep it is to enable roaming on the phone and turn it on from time to time where ever you are.

Any of the HTC Desires are dirty cheap on fleabay now and are pretty good at what they do.

Good tip Crispin, i was going to use it here and in airports till i'm in oz, then use it there with a local sim card, i will transfer my uk sim into an old "normal" mobile for getting missed uk calls and texts to let people know i'm away, also by having a voicemail message directing them.

Paul, if you want a Android I would look at the Desire HD. Slightly newer than the Desire and a bit better processor etc etc etc. I have used one of these for the last 18 months and yes it'd not the perfect phone, in that I have to reboot it about once every 3-4 months, and yes battery life could be better, but then I think all smart phones have this issue.

If I turn off wifi, and automatic data synching, then by the end of the day I still have about 70% battery life left, with maybe 2-3 calls and a few texts a day. Don't surf the net much on it, but obviously that will eat away at the battery.

Not sure I will be upgrading to either the new HTC or the Galaxy, screens just seem to big for a phone :roll: As for iPhones, I will leave that to others to cover :hand:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have an iphone - but I'm not going there just so that people can call me names :cry: :cry:

But for work I have a Blackberry. I guess it's a smart phone, but I don't really use it as such. For a mobile e-mail device, I really find it hard to beat. Small keys maybe but they are REAL keys not touch ones. I live on e-mail and can type on that about as fast as I can on a key board. It is VERY tough and pretty reliable. I generally get a new one about every three years and they get a real hard life. The BB comes through it again and again. Battery life is epic. OK I don't love it, but if I had to go into the desert with something, it'd probably be the BB.

I reckon these are all compromises. Phones are best at being phones, cameras are best at being cameras etc. Smart phones are a bit like multi tools. Handy when you are out, but when static you go for the proper thing. I did have a Nokia before and it was so bad (really sorry to say) tha Vodabone actually cancelled my contract and let me start again.

Did I mention I have an iphone .......

Chris

HTC chacha should be cheap and works pretty well as a phone, emails etc, has a keyboard, not a massive screen though so maybe not much good for web browsing but that's not what I have a phone for.

iPhone 3GS will set you back £100 secondhand and is fine, but payg is an expensive way to surf the net on a smartphone.

just made the choice between Iphone 3GS and HTC Desire S and got........ the HTC - not regretting it at all so far - its fantastic..... :dance:

I've had a Galaxy S2 for nearly a year now, and I love it, good as a phone, good as camera, good apps, very user friendly keyboard, c'mon chaps tell me why the iPhone is sooo much better? :think:

wobbly said:
iPhone 3GS will set you back £100 secondhand and is fine, but payg is an expensive way to surf the net on a smartphone.

Having just "upgraded" from a Nokia 6310I to a iPhone 3GS I have to concur with the above sentiment. It gets even better once jailbroken.You can customize it until the cows come home. My most used app is a battery management program which really works great at stretching the power. As I'm a photographer I don't have the option to go Android, there is simply no competition between the platforms in regards to great graphical apps.

John

Motorola Atrix, it's an Android unit, its the same size as an iphone, my battery lasts 2 days easily, best bit is the proper OE car kit & in car functionality (big buttons when docked) and even better still the Lapdock unit which is what I'm typing on now. Its a laptop but its just a battery/screen/keyboard that you plug the phone into, its alive in 10 secs & does everything a small laptop does with a lot less hassle & all run off the phone. It ises the phones 3g or wifi to connect to the world & still has dialling functions when in use,the lapdock battery lasts 8 hours & will charge the phone up too, It is an utterly brilliant concept especially for travelling about & I would not go back!!!

A little OT as this thread is about USED smart phones but has anyone used on of the new Samsung Galaxy SIII phones yet? Impressions?

IPhone :D

I've just upgraded to a new iPhone 4s to compliment the new iPad and I'm over the moon with it. I've always been very sceptical of the praise that others have for all things Apple, but I have to say that they were all bang on :oops: :p :D It's not something that one can explain really but I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with an iPhone. You could buy a second hand iPhone 3G for around £100 but the camera is not all that and it's not the retina screen or you could pop along to O2 and get yourself a brand new iPhone 4s for £99 plus £36 per month giving you unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 1GB of data per month that only slows down if you go over. I've not used the landline since owning it. I also use it as a WiFi hotspot to connect the iPad to while out and about in the truck :D

Oh and I no longer carry a camera as the new iPhone 4s has an unbelievably good 8MP camera that uploads every photo I take to iCloud automatically so I don't even need to worry about storage capacity or loosing them. In fact all of my contacts and diary information and calendars all go into the iCloud and then populate out to the iPad and the wife's iPhone so we never have a diary clash again :D

Apple a way of life, how did we manage before :? :) ;)

IPhone of any kind gets my :thumbup:

Written using my iPad and viewed from anyware in the world on my iPhone :D

All i need is cheap and old and can get emails.
I have a blackberry bold and i think it is great, can i set it up to notify me of emails from web base rather than BB service. I know i can check them using it as a web browser.

Back