Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

I can't hide my relief I'm afraid, the Truck romped through its ITP (MOT) test today with no written advisories. :dance:

He did advise me that he thought the rear brake compensator may not be delivering sufficient pressure when unladen (verbally) so I might attempt to crank that up a bit to generally improve the braking.

On the other hand, he also said that the brakes were remarkably good compared with other 80s that he's tested.

Good till May 2018 now, yippee :character-beavisbu:

happy-102.gif

Cool.
Need to mot mine in a couple of weeks, it's done about 2k since last year lol. I bet it won't go through emissions without the laptop!

Amazing luck today for a friend...

We'd gone to Tamworth (120km away) as we needed some bits and pieces from there; I was supposed to be back for a meeting late afternoon (which got cancelled) so we didn't need to rush back. Ended up at the brewery on the way home (as you do) and upon leaving the brewery we saw a friend's ute with a load of hay on the back and on the trailer go by... accompanied by the thrump thunk that a flat tyre does. Rang her up to tell her to pull ASAP and we catch up with her to find the wheel was running on the sidewalls of the tyre and a load of the carcass wrapped around the axle.

Luckily I carry all my tools in the car, along with other useful stuff... so we ended up changing the tyre for her at the side of the road:
13260010_10153955834819193_6538768812338873040_n.jpg
(me and Delz finishing off changing the blasted thing...)
The jack from the 4Runner only just fitted under the axle near the tyre, it was that flat...

Gave the air con a little service while at work today, condenser was replaced 2ish years ago and the 80 only does low miles, had only lost 100grams of refrigerant so not bad at all.
Gave it a good clean inside and out too.

Had the AC recharged again after the leak fix yesterday, working well now. And welded several plates onto the front downpipe which had split 4/5th of the way around. Ooops.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This was a little job I did the other week after the car clunking its head off driving home from a days green laneing and finding a puddle of diff oil on the drive
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I bought them disposable bottles of welding gas and couldn't get more than a 2 inch bead out of them what a waste of money. Im just waiting for Karl to drop me a set of axles off now so I can do a proper job of it

image.jpeg

Blimey, that's one to look out for.

I had an anti-roll bar front axle mounting break loose once, but to see the main bush mounts tear out, that's a first for me...:think:

I've changed the front casing now (surprisingly with a RHD axle) and all is well, but with the amount of Offroad that I do, I'm going to keep a look out for cracks after seeing this.

Tough is tough, but everything has its limits I suppose. I'm replacing the offset caster correction bushes (the devil's work according to Chris J) next week for OEMs and fitting the drop boxes I got from Stan @ Overlander, so that should take some of the strain off the mounts.

Nice job done (doing) Kev :thumbup:

Spent all afternoon not quite getting the fuel tank off my 120 so I have access to the cross member my top suspension arm has snapped off from. Lots of captive nuts into the chassis. Only got one left to get out. Only sheared one which I'm classing as a success.

Yesterday when I got back from lincomb I thought I'd see what the nasty noise was, a nasty grinding and while at slow speeds the brake light kept coming on the dash ((!)) the abs was kicking in every time I used the brakes as well. I found that The break pads had nothing on them I don't know enough to say why they were kinda stuck on ( on the offside rear) but I took it apart. I've already got pads but have ordered some of the disks off roughtrax and should have them on Wednesday. Today I figured I may as well play with the innerds as I've had the bits for over a year. I've only done one side at the moment I'll do the other when I get the disks. Could those in the know tell me if this looks right please. I'm pretty sure I put it all back right
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well the disks turned up at the yard today same time as I got back from my 2nd run, bonus. Got home about 5pm on a mission as the alternator in the beemer decided it didn't fancy doing any work on the way home. Got down to 7v and all the warning lights came on. Yay! So two cars and neither of them drive able. Finished off the drivers side and just finished the passenger side which went a whole lot easier as I now knew what to do. Just been for a drive. No grinding or warning lights. Woo!
image.jpeg
On the passenger side there was a clippy thing but missing on the drivers side. Forgot to take a photo of it but it goes across the calliper attached with Allen bolts. Is it important?

This was a little job I did the other week after the car clunking its head off driving home from a days green laneing and finding a puddle of diff oil on the drive View attachment 101293 View attachment 101294 View attachment 101295 View attachment 101296 View attachment 101297 I bought them disposable bottles of welding gas and couldn't get more than a 2 inch bead out of them what a waste of money. Im just waiting for Karl to drop me a set of axles off now so I can do a proper job of it

View attachment 101292
I noticed mine had hair line cracks there years ago, put some weld in before it got any worse.

Got some service bits for the 80, even got genuine coolant while there!! 20 litres concentrated for £20 :icon-biggrin: 50:50 makes 40 litres so should last
Rear drive shaft seal to do too as weeping.

This was a little job I did the other week after the car clunking its head off driving home from a days green laneing and finding a puddle of diff oil on the drive View attachment 101293 View attachment 101294 View attachment 101295 View attachment 101296 View attachment 101297 I bought them disposable bottles of welding gas and couldn't get more than a 2 inch bead out of them what a waste of money. Im just waiting for Karl to drop me a set of axles off now so I can do a proper job of it

View attachment 101292

I found this after getting back from Western Sahara last time.

image.jpeg

Well added to the service list, we had a family day out yesterday, got back home to a distinctive hot brake smell. Can barely touch the drivers front wheel, disc is blue and pads probably had it.
Caliper re build to do now too. May as well just do all 4.
The old girl is 19 in August after all!!

Got the AC backup and running with a new condenser, new drier unit and a regas.:occasion-snowman:

20160609_195027.jpg

New shiny bits for one of the calipers.

Will get the others rebuilt soon too but need to mot the 80 this weekend.
No point waiting for another to seize when they're so cheap to rebuild.

Luckily the disc is OK just needs some new pads.

Taking it to work tomorrow to teach the apprentice something college won't.

Gary I notice non-OEM Toyota parts there. Is that brand any good?

Back