Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Brush up on the wheel-arches on the occasion of the new shocks and some rust problem in the cargo area

1 (1).jpg
1.jpg

Workinig in the snow flurries was getting a bit tedious yesterday, so was a joy to be out in snow flurries and 40mph wind today. Trying to track down the mysterious grating sound from the drivers side.

Thought it might be a loose or worn top wishbone. Managed to snap a crowsfoot spanner tightening it. Then found a more likely culprit, a bit of flapping wheel arch trim. Thought I'd tie wrap it to the piece of trim behind it. Drilled a hole to secure it and promptly went straight into the washer bottle.

You call that rust - PAH!
I'll show you RUST.
Bob.

Oh well, I wanted to boast ... In reality the situation is not so dramatic. That's the consequence of a rough road maintenance: nobody spills the salt on the roads in winter and then, if the car owner keeps it under cover, a 30 years old car can develop little rust .

Looking beautiful Francesco, does it get driven much?
The cruiser has 197,000 km, has been used often, but for short distances, when I went to see it the first time it struck me because it's completely original, the first and sole owner does not even have the radio mounted: the cruiser has remained as it left the factory. All in all it has modest wear and, rust aside, it's really well preserved.

Workinig in the snow flurries was getting a bit tedious yesterday, so was a joy to be out in snow flurries and 40mph wind today. Trying to track down the mysterious grating sound from the drivers side.

Thought it might be a loose or worn top wishbone. Managed to snap a crowsfoot spanner tightening it. Then found a more likely culprit, a bit of flapping wheel arch trim. Thought I'd tie wrap it to the piece of trim behind it. Drilled a hole to secure it and promptly went straight into the washer bottle.

Doh! :doh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Drilled a hole to secure it and promptly went straight into the washer bottle.

Wind, snow, gravity, the universe is next to you and tries to make your day cheerful and lively. What can you wish for more from the forces of nature? How to give thanks to the gods for such benevolence?

Well done for not lobbing the drill Rob , i will probably retrieve my grinder from the bottom of the lane when i'm in a better mood tomorrow and if its still there and in one piece maybe i will be able to get the blade off .

Wanted to get started on replacing my rear bumper light assemblies and then realized the rust on them was worse than I thought. It seems the light assembly fitting (square section) is half rotted out as well... hmm Do I take the chance and remove them and see what "fix" I can do, or just buy a new bracket.

Wanted to get started on replacing my rear bumper light assemblies and then realized the rust on them was worse than I thought. It seems the light assembly fitting (square section) is half rotted out as well... hmm Do I take the chance and remove them and see what "fix" I can do, or just buy a new bracket.

Assuming the price isn't extortion i would order new just because its always nice to think the job is done completely and if they last as long as the old then its money well spent .

Milner seem to be out of it, but from what I remember they had it for around 20 pounds each...

Milner seem to be out of it, but from what I remember they had it for around 20 pounds each...

It's personal choice mate memory is vague but i think you could manage without them , not much you can buy for 40 quid that will last 20 years nowadays though .

The back boxes clamp the lens onto the bumper. If the boxes dissolve you can mastic the lights on. If the box has dissolved your chance of getting the nuts off the lens are slim. You'll likely want new lenses and boxes if you are going the non-mastic route.

So this is preemptive maintenance. Seeing as I'm hoping to get the new suspension fitted this week, I thought I'd take the opportunity to get the Old Gal up on ramps, crawl underneath and start spraying my nuts with deep penetrating oil in anticipation....:fearscream:

upload_2017-2-13_10-2-0.png

While under there, I also wanted to have a look at the condition of the tank straps because I'd also like to drop the tank at a later date and repaint it......they don't seem too bad to me, so a liberal amount of penetration spray was applied....

upload_2017-2-13_9-53-35.png

upload_2017-2-13_9-55-51.png

It didn't hurt to take a peak at the breather too as this will be another job for another time......

upload_2017-2-13_9-56-29.png

..and lastly, just looking around the rear shock mounts and giving these a decent application of spray.....

upload_2017-2-13_9-58-6.png

upload_2017-2-13_9-58-43.png

upload_2017-2-13_10-4-22.png

So, overall I don't think she's in too bad shape for her age. If all goes to plan, Wednesday evening is the plan to put the new suspension on...... :)

Oh well, I wanted to boast ... In reality the situation is not so dramatic. That's the consequence of a rough road maintenance: nobody spills the salt on the roads in winter and then, if the car owner keeps it under cover, a 30 years old car can develop little rust .

Its looking lovely, I'm very envious.

Living in Scotland where we have salt on the roads for about six months of the year (bit of exaggeration) cars don't last long.

Bob.

So, overall I don't think she's in too bad shape for her age. If all goes to plan, Wednesday evening is the plan to put the new suspension on...... :)

Looks a lot, lot better than my 99 plate 90 when I got rid of it 6 years ago. From memory the only faff on the 90 suspension is getting the top mount of the shocks off. Best to cut through them, near the top and push the remainder upwards rather than trying to undo the top nut (well try, but be prepared to give up quickly). Making sure you don't damage washers or bushes if your new shocks don't come with them.

Looks a lot, lot better than my 99 plate 90 when I got rid of it 6 years ago. From memory the only faff on the 90 suspension is getting the top mount of the shocks off. Best to cut through them, near the top and push the remainder upwards rather than trying to undo the top nut (well try, but be prepared to give up quickly). Making sure you don't damage washers or bushes if your new shocks don't come with them.
Hello Rob. Is it the rear shocks that you are referring to?
upload_2017-2-13_11-5-13.png

If it is, I was wondering how to get to this as I could just about get my fingers over the top of it and into the 'pan' that the top of the shock bolts into.....

Hello Rob. Is it the rear shocks that you are referring to? View attachment 113689

If it is, I was wondering how to get to this as I could just about get my fingers over the top of it and into the 'pan' that the top of the shock bolts into.....

Thats the bit to cut yes. The nut, as you say, is challenging to get to. To fit a new shock you should be able to get a ring spanner onto a new nut from the wheel side between the chassis and the body. But your chances of undoing it are slim

Hi Bert just so there's no mix up the truck should be unsupported (no jacks) when you tighten the lower shock bolt to 64Nm .

Its looking lovely, I'm very envious.
Living in Scotland where we have salt on the roads for about six months of the year (bit of exaggeration) cars don't last long.
Bob.
Perhaps you may be interested an almost new mayor and some alderman for traffic and roads who could contribute to the elimination of the salt problem...

Back