Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Can we overfill coolant?
Don't think so - if theres too much in it, it will just expand and exit out of the overflow pipe on the expansion tank

Changed fuel filter to learn how to do it. Not sure when it was changed previously but do we change fuel filter every 5000 miles?
I change it every other oil change - so 10k or 12 months, which is probably overkill !

I wasted more than 1 year relying on garages. Thanks everyone, from info and inspiration from here I made my hands oily :). Now I am on cloud 9 after doing these maintenance jobs and every time it feels easier. Today I fitted some bolts on bash plates without seeing them. Only power steering, brake fluid and AHC bleeding are left out to complete.

I now have the schedule to follow.
Engine oil/filter - 5K miles
Fuel filter, cabin filter - 10K/1 yr
Prop shaft greasing - 10K/1yr
Airflow valve on the air filter - 5K miles
Diff, transfer oils, and brake fluid- 30K miles/3 yrs
AHC, Coolant, power steering - 50K or 5 years
Plugs - Not sure
There is this thermostat to change at 50K but it seems to be complicated so I need some more practice.

Well done!! No spark plugs on your diesel. You can always test your brake fluid and coolant to see if you need to change it.

No spark plugs
oh didnt knew that.
I was following this video and some threads here, project 200 videos and thought just change all these as its cost is negligible compared to hassle free driving :)

Finally, after a long wait, got some confidence in my mechanical skills and did AHC bleeding. It's very satisfying and the car feels so much better now. Since I did the bleeding, I am thinking of a full AHC flush in a couple of months as I have about 4 liters of AHC left.
When the AHC was repaired last year they didn't use Toyota AHC as the fluid was brownish and not dark pink. None of the garages did the perfect job. No one loves your car as much as you do.

After completing the job, fuel was empty so added two 350 ml bottles of Toyota fuel system clean, filled up with BP Ultimate diesel and went for a 25 mile drive on motorway to check if I can get anywhere near Toyota's claimed mpg. I got 29 mpg driving at 55. If I left the car on cruise for another 50 miles I am sure I would ve got Toyota's figure. Its possible in testing mode but its practically not possible if I drive at 70 miles or lot of city traffic.

Attachments

• IMG-2949.jpg
    IMG-2949.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 16
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you empty the reservoir you might not get the pump to prime after filling with new fluid. That's what happened to me. I think I just took the pipe off the pump and turned ign on. Fluid everywhere but panic over. Then reconnected.

empty the reservoir
For flushing, I am thinking of topping the reservoir to the neck and repeat bleeding process. Each time I bleed about 1-2 liters of fluid is coming out.
Theoretically, If I repeat this filling, and bleeding process a few times, all AHC would be replaced.

Yes or you could suck most of the fluid out leaving the pump primed, then fill. That way, done twice, would give almost pure fluid in the system.

Reactions: Raj
Got new tyres finally. The old ones had done tiny cracks in the tread, had been plugged a few times and one was a new replacement cheapo one on the rear axle.

So kept the cheapo one for the spare and got myself some Bridgestone Dueler 697s. Please excuse the grubby wheels this was the old spare rim.

Screenshot_20220630-181905.png

Started replacing discs on the 100 brakes and pulling the callipers to send to BiggRed - what a mess, and the brakes have clearly not been working properly for ages - rear pistons seized, front right seized and so front left has been doing all the work. RoughTrax must love me by now :D

Got new tyres
Is it only me or does anyone esle has this rubber addiction? I cant stop myself from searching for tyres. I keep looking at different and think about different new tires despite knowing that I don't need them.

I know what you mean @Raj I was looking for ages, but eventually heard a cashback ad on a podcast which twisted my arm. Really my only 2 criteria were all terrain plus outside white lettering.

My unnecessary obsession lately has been paint , it started with yeah hammerite will do . Followed by what exactly is hammerite ?

It turned into a quest for chemical ingredient , what makes which potion better .

Proof is in the pudding so i've no results to share yet but i believe i am close to revealing a cheap generic rattlecan Toyota 202 black and whats more its magic in a can for a mirror like finish .

Astonishing how exactly the same paint marked automotive sells twice the price for 1 litre as it does sold in 5 litre as non specific enamel .

Grew impatient waiting for the ideal weather and I suppose I should have washed the truck and polished things up a bit before posting but this’ll do me I think

41CF03D2-D903-4D50-AE4F-94A9B121A6C3.jpeg

8BAACBF2-4490-416D-8330-0821C3E72E2B.jpeg

Buy Upol powercan and do your own .

I was lucky with the black as they don't have much choice in topcoat colour but its amazing stuff , fresh air in a can that makes things new again . It was too windy for spray paint really so i had to lash it on as close as 4 inches to prevent paint getting blown away before it reached the surface .

You can see the thinner evaporate as the paint instantly self levels . 10 minutes later when i added the clearcoat wind was stronger so i put too much on in one go thinking the forecast rain might not let me finish even if the forecast has been dead wrong for 2 weeks straight , hence clearcoat could have been better but i wanted it done .

Back