Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Oh and i started with yellow 150 sandpaper because my arch was cracked and the 202 Toyota paint i paid about £28 a can to have mixed had to come off . iirc 3 tins of powercan cost me about £12 .

Here's a painting tip on humidity , too dry a weather and paint spray solidifies before it hits the surface . To much humidity and it won't stick , will discolour .

My kitchen sink is next to the back door so i leave the door open and wash dishes . If they take more than half hour but less than an hour to drain bone dry then i'm good to go .

Today's plan is in ruins but I will wash them again this afternoon .

+ 1 for u-pol. Their aerosol paints/primers are a good consistency that cover well without runs, and leave a great finish. The etch primer is especially good, and is dark grey, so darker colour cover this easily rather than the light grey ordinary primer. Bigger than average at 500ml

While waiting for the weather to sort itself out I got carried away with cleaning the engine bay

FC6FAB54-6AB4-4BB0-ADE0-C7B3B9AD24C3.jpeg

99077F0A-4050-4C78-ABE1-F81BA5C0E428.jpeg

A63B1601-7733-4845-B37C-60872F4EF463.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well what started out as just a broken lower steering Knuckle stud. Turned into a Full front axle strip out, New steering Knuckle bearings, seals, axle seals, Gaskets, Knuckle wiper seals.... Jesus the list goes on,.... About £200 worth in the end ( price of a stud £3)... anyway a nice enjoyable job in the end :thumbup: While i was at it Treated the old Gal to some new Rear pads and a fuel filter....

Attachments

• DSCF0425.JPG
    DSCF0425.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0424.JPG
    DSCF0424.JPG
    482.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0423.JPG
    DSCF0423.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0422.JPG
    DSCF0422.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0421.JPG
    DSCF0421.JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm disappointed myself , paints been sat in the shed too long i think so spitting every time you think it looks just right .

See how it dries and maybe attack it again in the morning .

Already thinking the intake is gonna have to come off for tarting up as well now .

Will I get away with it without buying new gaskets and whatever ?

You'll be a lucky man if you do Shayne... I had to renew everything on my steering Knuckle Job.... Always best to renew i think Mate

I expect thats the truth of it Higgy i'm just not keen on waiting for parts right now as its only disabled because i got carried away with cleaning . Put it back together though and how long might it be before i go at it again :think:

I just realized its illegally parked as well :doh: thats how much formal planning went into this job :lol:

Last edited:
We all know chrome paint doesn’t work but when I seen it on a shelf for £2 while I had it mind to paint the heat guard bright silver I thought that’ll do .

623D4BE7-B751-406F-AE8D-73FC4BBE9C23.jpeg

The result was a happy shock

Took mine for mot today, failed. So I guess I'm fixing those issues. Just a dead fog light (wiring issue), blown headlight and handbrake needs tightening, so overall not too bad.

Fog light fixed. It had been wired to a mystery switch in the dash. Not sure why given there's the OEM switch and relay present. A bit of wire pulling and I have it wired to the correct switch through a fused relay.

Meanwhile my handbrake is being an arse because the adjustment hole is misaligned so it's a pain to adjust and the disc gets jammed really easily if you overdo it with no way to release it other than force.

Tempted by Shayne's painting job, I too started a small cosmetic job 2 weeks ago. Tried to repair the clear coat peeling but I ended up sanding the paint itself and exposed white primer. Another mistake and learning. I applied plaster and left the car without driving since then.IMG-3003.jpgIMG-3026.jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 12.50.53 PM (1).jpeg Today I sanded the area a bit more and used spray paint but this time spray paint was too thick and uneven. I again applied bigger plaster and left the car and left it. I will now sand it again to smooth finish and get it ready before next week or else I will end up sleeping in Lexus like last time for the wales camping meet. :)

I removed spare tyre a while ago while doing suspension flush and noticed some rust hiding there so ordered Krown and sprayed it where ever I saw some rust. This is good as whenever I go under the car, I can spray Krown where ever I see a little rust, just to satisfy my OCD. :)

If your satisfied the paint is a good colour match then remove the masking tape and paper and sand it back to primer , or flat anyway which might reveal some primer .

Put a rag over your wheel maybe but everything else that might catch overspray is the same colour so no need for tape .

First pass with the rattlecan is nothing to do with colour it just puts a sticky layer down so the next pass 10 or 15 minutes later doesn't run .

10 or 15 minutes after that the third pass will colour most of it so after another 10 or 15 minutes the fourth pass is just for luck really .

You might have quality paint in a crap spray can or crap paint in a quality spray can or anything in between , so what happens next is your call .

That its a patch of new paint will be obvious (even a pro can't match old and new paint) but if your otherwise happy with the finish add clearcoat 10 or 15 minutes later over a larger area . Let it dry for a month and when you polish your simply flattening the clearcoat so nobody can tell where the old paint and new meet .

If your not reasonable happy after the fourth pass with paint but its not too bad then wait a couple of days for it to dry before smoothing it with very fine wet and dry and hopefully the paint with be thick enough that you can just clearcoat it without adding more paint .

The harder you try to do it right the more likely it is to go wrong , it might look good after two passes with paint so stop there , if it needs six passes does it matter its only time .

Last edited:
might look good after two passes
I already sprayed 6-7 coats of paint. Each time I spray, waited for 15 mins, and looked, I felt I little bit more would be good. After I was satisfied, I did one last coat for peace of mind. I am doing all sorts of experiments and learning on LandCruiser. Even if things go wrong I am not worried as I have the forum for correcting tips :) and working on it is like mental therapy. It will go out, it'll get parking dents, scratches and maybe stone damages eventually once I start using it for what its made for (Overlanding/off-roading/utility).

I did the same Raj if the forum search function was better you might find 100 of my paint experiments lol .

The tape is your worst mistake because when you remove the tape there will be a line between old and new paint that you couldn't remove with heavy duty cutting compound and a machine polisher if you tried every day for 6 months .

You will have to sand it all back and repair a larger area now but its only paint and every mistake teaches us something about how to do it easier next time .

Back