Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Did my front & rear UJ's in the week, used a big boy vice & a press!

Changed Diff & transfer oils last night & made a ali new mount / holder up for my toughbook.

Gave the front wing & arch a final coat of laquer after fixing up the Lincombe damage, just got to fit the rubber jointing bit back on.

Might start stripping the brake calipers later & take off hoses & get some stainless ones made up..... any one got any reccomendations for the stainless hoses?

Andy

Rock sliders and hidden winch mount coming off to be blasted and coated today

The may start to make my underbody skid plates :mrgreen:

Finally fitted my new OEM Radiator (manufactured by Natrad) yesterday, preceded by a full system flush (twice) & drained the block from the elusive drain plug.

Also replaced the hoses & clips (again OEM) & refilled with Toyota Red.

Worst part of the job is having to dismantle almost the whole front of the car to get to the four mounting bolts. Grill off, headlights, sidelights & indicators out, batteries & trays out.

Getting the new rad in with the fan shroud in place is fun as well :roll:

Been under mine today and cleaned then painted the chassis and rear axle/diff with kurust, not that it needed it but going down the route of prevention is better than cure, you really can eat your dinner of it now :thumbup: Also the front end is completely LED'd up, looks good now there's no yellow lights :cool: :cool:

Oddly, been a bit quiet today. :roll:

On the rad front Brett, did you not just take the fan off? That way you don't have to fanny about with the shroud in the way.

But yes, it is a bind with the battery boxes, headlights etc.

Chris

Chris said:
Oddly, been a bit quiet today. :roll:

On the rad front Brett, did you not just take the fan off? That way you don't have to fanny about with the shroud in the way.
Chris

I did think about it Chris, I also thought about cutting the shroud in half :shock:

In the end I pushed the shroud back over the fan as far as it'll go & borrowed another pair of hands to wiggle it in, took about 2 minutes with my mates assistance :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fitted new brake hoses all round and new seals to all the brakes & had a good clean up underneath & re waxoyled everywhere including myself!!! .............
It was a real PITA to bleed the system, especially the load sensing valve, anyway it had a good flush through, not sure if the pedal is as hard as it should be though, and as its not back on the road yet, cant check properly

Andy

After the last two times i've had the calipers off and replaced pads and discs and had to bleed the system, it was a bit spongy even with all the air out. Pedal came back after about 100 miles.

thanks Paul, I needn't worry then!

I bled them in the conventional way, and the used one of those easy bleed things pressured from a tyre.
I had to make an adaptor for the master cylinder filler out of a bit of plate, glued some sheet rubber to it & drilled some holes around the edges, this was held in place with cable ties around the master cylinder to get it to seal & it seemed to work well!

Finished off the front axle stripdown & fitted the new 'doctored' diff - Muxley is still on bricks & the bin is full of oily rags...

Fitted roof rack & led marker lamps to base of rack, fitted 4 spot lamps to front of rack, fitted new secondary fuse board & run wiring down snorkel to it , replaced alternator.

Replaced the big end shells today, Any opinions on the condition of the old shells very welcome.

shells12.jpg

shells34.jpg

shells56.jpg

sumpoff2.jpg

sumpoff.jpg

Attachments

• shells12.jpg
    shells12.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 71
  • shells34.jpg
    shells34.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 78
  • sumpoff2.jpg
    sumpoff2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 82
  • shells56.jpg
    shells56.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 87
  • sumpoff.jpg
    sumpoff.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 66
Yay, go Dave!

Chris

Ahh, post pics afterwards. OK, it's a novel way of doing it. Dave, they look like some of the best shells to come off an 80 that I have seen. Worth doing for peace of mind.

Sorry for the delay in the pictures, it's first time I have posted pictures, there will be no stopping me now...

The first two are showing very early stages of surface break up but the rest look good to me. Did you know there should be a plastic blanking piece covering the hole at the bottom of the bell housing that we can see your flywheel through? Keeps a lot of muck out :thumbup:

How many miles had those done, Dave? They look pretty good - certainly better than most that come out!

Hi Jon, the plug came out when the sump gave up its fight, all back in place now.

Hi Andrew, 130,000 miles.

Popped apart every connector i could get at - in, out and under the truck and gave each a good squirt of silicone / ptfe dielectric grease.

spotted start of a little tin worm around back window so thats been nipped in the bud whilst i was up inside the back door.

far too nice a day to be inside.

Changed axle and engine oils before the big trip :thumbup:

Lucky i did, rear breather was blocked and axle was quite pressurised but meant the oil was quite clean ;)
Front one was ok but the oil had seen better days so will maybe change again next week, next on the list will be the extended breathers.

IMG00130-20110327-1136.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00130-20110327-1136.jpg
    IMG00130-20110327-1136.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 88
Back