Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Had the truck serviced today.

Boo you all say, "do it yourself and save on the labour costs".

Well you may be right, but...

Engine oil change (Mobil super Diesel semi synth 10W40), oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, G/Box oil change (Mobilube 80W90), T/F Box oil change, front & rear diff oil changed, new oil seal and gasket on the driver's side rear axle, new steering track rod end, full brake and suspension rubber bushes checked and the usual UJ and sliders greasing and the like.

Parts
In Lei (incl 24% VAT) 1,005.19 @ 5.4 Lei to the GBP = 186.15 GBP
Labour in Lei (incl 24% VAT) 525.14 @ 5.4 Lei to the GBP = 97.25 GBP

= Total 283.40 GBP (equivalent)

Hardly worth getting my hands dirty methinks... :dance:
Blimey, good value that!

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

At that price Clive I wouldn't bother getting my hands dirty either!!

At that price Clive I wouldn't bother getting my hands dirty either!!

Just remembered, they adjusted up the handbrake as well, left that off the list...

All the guys there are 4x4 fanatics and especially passionate about 80s. :thumbup:

Not today but tomorrow I'll be putting my meter on the starter circuits as mine has just clicked and not spun the starter. [emoji35][emoji30]

Not today but tomorrow I'll be putting my meter on the starter circuits as mine has just clicked and not spun the starter. [emoji35][emoji30]

If that's not bad news enough Rich, the timing of it couldn't be worse :?

I know Clive, but actually Sutton Scotney Services for a comfort break tomorrow would top this.…

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You will have to leave it running rich and send mrs rich in for a costa rip off coffee.

If you make it there we can swap a few bits about If needed to sort wht you need

Yes, if it's the relay I might be able to bridge contacts. At least it's my bag being a sparkie!![emoji6]

This might be the wrong place..... But what oil is everyone using for their manual gearbox and transfer box in an 24v 80 series?

Well fitted new exhaust today thanks to Paul,all went well even nuts on turbo came straight off,then it came to getting the rear section out all I can say is thank you to the good old bottle jack as I didn't have enough room to tilt the exhaust down so jacked it up from tow bar for clearance,sounds so quite now all you hear is the turbo whistle sounds good.
thanks again Paul for the exhaust buddy.

This might be the wrong place..... But what oil is everyone using for their manual gearbox and transfer box in an 24v 80 series?

I'm using Mobilube 80W90 in both... and have been for several years, seems to be OK.

One word.... HANDBRAKE...

Had the steel cable from the bell crank to the brake shoe lever snap the other week.. so stripped it all down today.

Mother of Jaysus the pin through the bell crank was a bugger to get out. Good penetrating oil is a lifesaver, as is a hard chisel to split the joint.

IMAG1054_zps9lytp4jd.jpg

The mechanism hasn't been apart since new... Hence the presence of the rusty goblin and his extended family...

IMAG1056_zpstb0vp5pa.jpg

Cleaned all the springs, dog bone and adjuster, New cable in and adjusted it all up. Remarkably all the springs are in very good shape, as are the shoes, I now have a handbrake!!! Will readjust after a few days driving, but so far it's tight as a drum. Tested it with a 2 ton trailer hanging off the back on a hill and super job!

Last edited:
Changed the front window rubbers today, Woo!

Well at last I've found a breaker who was willing to sell the alloy wheel center cap separately,and well I was their got the outside temp sensor off him and a couple of other items £40 all in and was only based in bury,someone on here put a link to an eBay add got to thank you so much,he's got about 6 95 series in at the mo if anyone needs any parts.oh and put a good word in for the forum so hope we all get looked after if anyone interested http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LA...-2000-2001-2002-BREAKING-SPARES-/110960340954.
Well next job get some paint and paint the buggers not sure what colour yet or if I'm going to do the inserts black the rest gun metal grey?

A wasted day because i can't find any high temp instant gasket locally but still counting my blessings as while putting things away and chatting to a neighbour i turned the ignition on just to shut windows and lock up , no intake pipes , no turbo , no exhaust headers , intercooler removed and a rubber glove over the throttle body but i turned the key more than i intended and the bitch fired up :shock: thankfully the rubber glove split rather than disappearing inside the engine so yeah a happy end to the day .

Last edited:
Changed gearbox oil, replaced a torn steering rack gaitor.

Well after fitting a 36" LED light bar to the front of the roof rack about three weeks ago I finally found time today to actually wire it up, at the moment it's on a separate switch but it will be rewired to come on with main beam.
There's some spill on the bonnet I shall have to see if that's a problem when driving.

Main beam

Main beam.JPG

Main beam + Winch bumper LED's

Main beam ++.JPG

Main beam + Winch bumper + roof bar LED's

Main beam +.JPG

Last edited:
The rabbits will need sunglasses!! [emoji6][emoji4]

Tried to get the 80 through its MOT and the tester terminated the test because the underside is to dirty and because he could bit out the probe into the exhaust as it is to crushed....

Back