Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Meh, no worries. Should be able to sort this PDQ

Chucked an engine in an 80 series 12v manual today with dave. Just a bit of advice for people. Take the stud out of the bell housing to fit either engine or box. We tried until lunch with no success to get it in. Took the stud out and 30 seconds straight in.4.5 hours later she's running.

How many times have I told you about that stud Karl ? :icon-biggrin:.

Well done, I bet you were relieved when it ran.

Karl, you should have taken that stud out, stud out. Frank's right. Makes the whole world of difference does taking the stud out that Frank mentions

Did anyone mention putting it back in again?

Lol guys.

I did say to dave before we took it out that I thought I had read it somewhere. Next time ill remember for sure. I wasn't happy to have had half a day wasted :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Changed the tailgate lights, think I need LED bulbs, anybody recommend some for the reversing and indicator???
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441976223.818911.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441976237.795023.jpg
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Just don't put LEDs in the brakes without ballasts. Or your Cruise Control won't work.

I see from the pics that you still haven't got around packaging up my BBQ grill.

Nice. Just don't put LEDs in the brakes without ballasts. Or your Cruise Control won't work.

I see from the pics that you still haven't got around packaging up my BBQ grill.

The LEDs in the brakes have no ballasts, does that mean no CC????
Not packed up or used yet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang on let me read what I wrote. Errmm, ahhh, eeeh, yes that's right. The CC uses part of the braking circuit - when you brake it knocks off the CC. If it can't detect the correct resistance in the circuit then it gets quite unhappy. I had a world of problems then put the bulbs back in and all sorted. LEDs have low impedance and unless you put ballasts in - say on your indicators, you get winkies flashing like crazy. LEDS are great but can be a pain. Good for reversing lights or separate side lights, but anything active and you need more impedance.

Hang on let me read what I wrote. Errmm, ahhh, eeeh, yes that's right. The CC uses part of the braking circuit - when you brake it knocks off the CC. If it can't detect the correct resistance in the circuit then it gets quite unhappy. I had a world of problems then put the bulbs back in and all sorted. LEDs have low impedance and unless you put ballasts in - say on your indicators, you get winkies flashing like crazy. LEDS are great but can be a pain. Good for reversing lights or separate side lights, but anything active and you need more impedance.
Chris, how can I say this, but the CC works fine, probably a bit of user error when you plugged yours in.:icon-biggrin:

I never said it didn't work at all. But WHEN it goes funny, at least you'll know what it is. When it suddenly cancels on the motorway, or when it won't set, or when you touch the brakes the fuse blows .....

Not really maintenance, but as I popped a tyre off the rear LHS rim last weekend, I took the decision to fit the full set of 5 mud tyres on, and have the old G Grabber ATs removed and the steel aftermarket rims refurbished. They've been 3 years since the last blast and paint and have done well.

I'd put the rear pair on last weekend after the pop-off, so oiked up the front passenger side front and fetched the GG AT wheel off and gave it the once-over with the jet wash to shift the mud.

image.jpg

Same with the drivers' side...

image.jpg

While up in the air, I checked that nothing was loose or fallen off.

image.jpg

The OME shockers don't look so bad after 8 years and about 200k km.

image.jpg

Got the mud wheels out of the shed and rolled them down to the truck, bloody hell, they're heavy, on steels!

image.jpg

There's not not much wear on these, I've kept them for more extreme off-road, don't do to much of that these days...

image.jpg

Found an off cut of plasterboard to help protect the truck when hauling them up onto the roof

image.jpg

Three up, one to go! Good job really, the old back was starting to give way by this time :character-oldtimer:

image.jpg

All up and strapped to the rack...

image.jpg

Forgotten how tall the truck is with a set of 4 on the roof :lol:

image.jpg

image.jpg

So, as well as a refurb of the whole wheel-set, I'm on the look out for a set of five new BFG ATs, or something similar at the right price...

Last edited:
Thought it was about time I changed the rear brake pads seeing as was advised a year ago by Toyota to do so after last service. Pads still had lots of meat left on them, but as it's got a mot next week thought I might as well do them.

Changed the pollen filter too.... yikes that was in a nasty state indeed...

Easy peasy job done.

Gave all the brakes a grand fettle today in the sunshine. Worked all the pistons til they were free and smooth and put some new front pads in. They didn't really need changing but better now that in the Sahara I guess. I put some of the latest Miler compound in. Say what you like about the old ones, these are great. It stops so hard now everything is in the foot-well! For a truck of this size and weight with big tyres, it's impressive. The new braided hoses make a significant difference too. It certainly gives me a secure feeling.

Gave all the brakes a grand fettle today in the sunshine. Worked all the pistons til they were free and smooth and put some new front pads in. They didn't really need changing but better now that in the Sahara I guess. I put some of the latest Miler compound in. Say what you like about the old ones, these are great. It stops so hard now everything is in the foot-well! For a truck of this size and weight with big tyres, it's impressive. The new braided hoses make a significant difference too. It certainly gives me a secure feeling.
Braided hoses -- would that be Steel Braided Hoses? What does the MOT say about those? I've heard that some are not happy about not beeing able to see the state of the rubber underneath.

They are stainless yes, but covered with black coating so they look like OEM.

Given that we've got this little road trip coming up, I thought I'd better spend the day under the truck giving it a thorough coat of looking at. armed with all the popular sizes, I set about checking all the nuts and bolts were tight. To my surprise I found a few actually that had slackened a little including a bell housing bolt that was only halfway in.
Most were ping tight but there were some surprises on some of the big bolts. The new Milwaukee bad ass bolt basher got those proper tight.

Biggest surprises was that I found the lower front Panhard rod bolt was loose. On investigation I found that the captive nut under the spring perch had broken free, Damn. What a place to have a captive nut. FFS. After some grinding and fettling, I managed to weld an old spanner onto it. It was pretty rounded and no way would grips go in there. Handy thing the old stick welder. Couldn't undo the bolt though. Ahh haaa, Milwaukee to the rescue again and after quite some time hammering it began to turn. Old bolt and nut out, lovely new nut and bolt in. Whacked up tight.

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 16.30.12.jpg

Went for a drive. Gordon Zola!!! What a humongous difference. Seriously, it was like driving someone else's truck. It now has F1 cornering and a whole host of odd noises have gone. I have been trying to find a clunk on the steering for ages - well it was the PH rod moving.

Dropped the front axle oil AGAIN after only a couple of hundred at the most and it was gopping. More like engine oil. Hopefully that's the last flush it will need. All other oils were perfect. Just engine oil to drop after the overland gathering next weekend and I'm ready. All in all a day well spent. Pretty confident that nothing's going to fall off between here and the mountains.

Figured I'd get prepped for the exhaust, make sure the bolts come undone so no Messing on the day, needed to measure the flanges too so can pre make them. studs into the manifold snapped off even with copious amounts of plus gas and heat. So off with the front prop and out with the drill while laying under the truck to drill out the studs.

Not going for a full header now, for what little extra I'd gain it's not worth the extra £450. Having new down pipes and mating it upto the rest of the stainless system. The bloke who's doing it said there's only small gains to be had, he'd be happy to take my money and it'd look really nice but I've got better things to spend my money on.

Postys been
IMG_5201.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG
what could it be...
IMG_5203.JPG
some kinky rubber things
and some funny round shiny things
IMG_5204.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG
hopefully ordered the right bits, Stage one of manning up complete!

Back