Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Stop faffing around and get on with it. The CVs from Toyota really do look very unprepossessing don't they. You'd expect them to be chrome plated and encrusted with rare gems. at least the cheapo ones have pictures on the box!!

Yeah I remember you saying they don't look anything special. That's part one. Gita get all the other bits come payday. Figured while I was in there I may as well tart it up with new bits

That box cost the same as my first car but not as much as the insurance!

Yeah, 640 for the bits plus 160 bum rape

Still less than one CV from Toyota UK. Just keep telling yourself that, it helps! [emoji6]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got no problems with that, just want it all good and reliable so one day I can join one of these trips! Don't want to get semi stranded like i did in Scotland.

Not completely my work - I helped to remove the tray - the damage and the proposed repair on a 2010 Ford Ranger PK double cab ute that had airbags to assist the suspension...

Annies%20Ute%201_zpsyc6pkaad.jpg

Pass%20Out_zpsq2q15xch.jpg

Pass%20In_zpsudr19jhs.jpg

Driver%20In_zpsukhjddqa.jpg

Driver%20Ou_zpstmrtbwn5.jpg

And the proposed fix:
Proposed%20Plate_zpsaqhrb4hd.jpg

I suppose we don't know what load it was carrying for it to have helper springs and washboard roads are common in Australia so it probably had a hard life. Not good though I agree.

Last edited:
I had one and broke a rear spring going over a speed hump! Also synchro went (common)

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

I suppose we don't know what load it was carrying for it to have helper springs and washboard roads are common in Australia so it probably had a hard life. Not good though I agree.

True enough, but had they designed the chassis with reinforcement there, it likely wouldn't have broken.

Vehicle designers should be simulating these conditions for a utility vehicle.

Overloading usually bends steel, whereas constant washboard conditions would induce cracks.

That is such a clean break and with no rust, it looks like it may have developed from a flaw in the steel. :think:

Couldn't agree more Clive. The repair should help greatly as long as another focus point is not created by the welding.

I have seen this on a large 4 wheel catering trailer that turned up to an event with much inspection of the tow frame. Turns out it had sheared exactly as the Ranger just where the frame left the underside of the trailer heading for the hitch, and had to receive the same treatment on site before it could leave.

OK...a long answer....

There's a couple of bits to pick up on, and I'll go through each one in turn

That's not a very good advert for ford Rangers, is it?

This break is actually unusual for any ute; most of the time they go around the cab area, mainly when it's a double cab as the load is not between the axle in the same way that a single cab has the weight - the most recent generations of the Triton/L200 are a bit more susceptible to that break as the overhang is so long on the double cab to get the biggest tub/tray area.

The helper bags were fitted when the friend got it, and it was a fairly local truck (about 90minutes down the road). She does use it for towing a horse float (box), but otherwise it's mainly used for transporting horse or horse feed around.

I had one and broke a rear spring going over a speed hump! Also synchro went (common)

The gearbox was a problem on the generation before by all accounts (the PJ over here) but they seemed to have solved it on the PK from what I've been told.

True enough, but had they designed the chassis with reinforcement there, it likely wouldn't have broken.

Vehicle designers should be simulating these conditions for a utility vehicle.

Overloading usually bends steel, whereas constant washboard conditions would induce cracks.

That is such a clean break and with no rust, it looks like it may have developed from a flaw in the steel. :think:

It's interesting, because it had the after-market airbags in there, we think it concentrated the load off the bump stop plate where it was attached, and that led to the cracking as the plate was really near where the crack is on one side. The guy who found it showed us where they more commonly go, which is at about the B-pillar on a single cab, just before the chassis curves up to go over the axle.

Couldn't agree more Clive. The repair should help greatly as long as another focus point is not created by the welding.

I have seen this on a large 4 wheel catering trailer that turned up to an event with much inspection of the tow frame. Turns out it had sheared exactly as the Ranger just where the frame left the underside of the trailer heading for the hitch, and had to receive the same treatment on site before it could leave.

The guy who is doing the repair is a boilermaker and works for one of the local steel fabricator, and the method of repair has been approved by an engineer (someone that Ben should consult for his suspension mods on LJ really...) and will be inspected once it's completed. Throughout the repair there will be pictures taken documenting what has been done - for example, the cracks will be ground back and angled ready to be welded with low hydrogen rods, and then the ground back and plated over the top (again welded with low hydrogen rods) and after that it should be all good.... The big difference is that the airbags are being sacked off...

Lastly, the steel framed, alloy floored tray has an interesting balance point, just after the axle, even with a full height headboard in 3" steel tube, so the weight distribution is interesting with a steel tray.

Air bag assist suspension :think: please enlighten me , i thought air bags in suspension simply stopped springs compressing so you don't get pulled by the plod for being obviously overloaded ?

Air bag assist suspension :think: please enlighten me , i thought air bags in suspension simply stopped springs compressing so you don't get pulled by the plod for being obviously overloaded ?

Helper bags are often used over here to help keep the ute level, especially double cabs that have the weight so far back (and in turn help keep the front end on the ground for steering) as opposed to stopping you getting pulled for being overloaded... We left them in as the Ranger can tow 3,000kg which is a 2 horse float with 2 horses in it, and they tend to run a bit of noseweight on them compared to the UK (probably a good 150-200kg nose weight) so the airbags would have been useful in that scenario for helping to keep the front end able to point where it needed to go.

I used to use the old school Monroe Load Levellers in the back of my Volvo V70 as that didn't have self levelling; pump them up a bit before you loaded it up and knock your teeth out, but load it up and it was no different to normal, no matter how much I had in it, well... until they went bang 1,000miles from home.... but those were in lieu of the shock absorbers, as opposed to sitting between the spring and the chassis.

Had the truck serviced today.

Boo you all say, "do it yourself and save on the labour costs".

Well you may be right, but...

Engine oil change (Mobil super Diesel semi synth 10W40), oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, G/Box oil change (Mobilube 80W90), T/F Box oil change, front & rear diff oil changed, new oil seal and gasket on the driver's side rear axle, new steering track rod end, full brake and suspension rubber bushes checked and the usual UJ and sliders greasing and the like.

Parts
In Lei (incl 24% VAT) 1,005.19 @ 5.4 Lei to the GBP = 186.15 GBP
Labour in Lei (incl 24% VAT) 525.14 @ 5.4 Lei to the GBP = 97.25 GBP

= Total 283.40 GBP (equivalent)

Hardly worth getting my hands dirty methinks... :dance:

This break is actually unusual for any ute; most of the time they go around the cab area, mainly when it's a double cab as the load is not between the axle in the same way that a single cab has the weight - the most recent generations of the Triton/L200 are a bit more susceptible to that break as the overhang is so long on the double cab to get the biggest tub/tray area.

One of the garages I've used in Morocco has quite an extensive gallery of utes they have rescued and repaired. Almost all had similar cracks in the chassis and the majority had demountable campers and had to be recovered from Sand Dunes. Its quite a scary collection of photos if you see them.

Back