Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Finally put the accessory meter back in. Works like a charm. No idea what was wrong with it. The compass bulb has blown though so need to source a replacement.

IMG_20220102_143804.jpg

Lifted the car today to look for drive shaft Zerk fittings. Finally found 3 zerk fittings on the front and managed to grease middle one and u joint towards engine. Couldn’t do other U joint as it’s too hard to fit grease gun there.
Of the 6 zerk fittings on drive shaft, managed to grease 5. Again sprayed silicone spray on all rubber on doors, hinges.

Not on my land cruiser, in the other half's Yaris. Dropped the sump, helicoiled the drain plug which has been stripped for at least a year, put it back together. A real chore and makes me appreciate the clearance under the cruiser.

Rarely get time to do much on the 80 not that it ever needs much...it did get a wash and wax the other day....

This weekend I have however - fixed a number plate light on the Wife's Merc estate
replaced a blown headlight bulb in my work Fiat Ducato ...both actually and this entails the removal of both headlight units
adjusted the brakes again on the 1943 Dodge Weapons Carrier for the 3rd or 4th time in an effort to get them balanced ( drum brakes with adjustable pivot points for both shoes) and driven it back to it's storage shed .
Fixed an issue on a 18 speed full power shift tractor transmission
Cut down several trees around one of ponds in the garden and trimmed others and dug up loads of marsh grass and looked at the boat to get out to the island and run out of enthusiasm .

With MOT coming up next month thought better try and restore the headlight lenses as they looked a bit milky. Bought AutoGlym restore kit which provides all the abrasive discs (800,1200,1500,2000, 3000 and buffing) plus cleaning Compound. £27 or cost of 2 new lens. Worth it I think :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_160416.jpg
    IMG_20220122_160416.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 39
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oil change day for me. It was pretty thick and black, about what's expected? Also I pulled about 5 litres out and then put 7 back in, I guess the filter holds quite a bit.

IMG_20220122_163842.jpg

Double post for me, finally replaced the torn caliper guide bolt boot that I've been meaning to do for months. Guide bolt is discoloured but otherwise seems OK. My stop gap of filling it full of grease seems to have worked.

MOT due shortly and noticed that both the rear number plate bulbs were not working. Don’t think they have ever been replaced since new as the screws holding the lens covers on were completely rusted and no way to get them out, so decided to take the number plate holder off which allowed me to get the Dremel to them and ‘convert’ them to flat head to get them out. Bulbs replaced, and as the holder was off decided to fit an additional reverse/work lamp. Fitted quite nicely, got the cabling through the rear door cabling harness into the interior of the rear quarter but stopped there as my fingers were not working as it was so cold! The rest of the cabling will be a job for another day.

9208CC91-CD0F-4536-8303-FA415DF40EBF.jpeg

A slightly odd coincidence occurred over the last couple of days - a front indicator bulb blew in both my cars.
It took maybe a whole minute and one screw to change it in my Landcruiser.
The Lexus IS250 needs the front bumper off and headlamp removed and about 40 bolts, clips etc

Attachments

• E52EFBEA-94BE-4904-98EE-2A6A4E5FC3A8.jpeg
    E52EFBEA-94BE-4904-98EE-2A6A4E5FC3A8.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 45
Today was spent undoing just 4 bolts......
Ok they were on a 30 year old bulldozer but it took all day to undo the 4 bolts that hold the rear blade frame on, remove the 2 hyd ram mounting pins and get the rest of the machine in the workshop....
Tomorrow will be spent trying to split the track and remove the front idler....
Everything is either seized or requires a crane to lift it.....or both :)
This on a CAT D7 sized machine

Tested new toys. Got 2 pairs of ramps and a hose extension that can go inside chassis holes. Tested these both. The ramps are good and its width is 30 cm just perfect for my tires. Cleaned a lot of pre-historic soil and treasure hidden inside the chasis. It felt like chase and hunt game. In 10 mins clear water will flow out but then when I push a nail and move around the holes, lot of grass, struck mud unblocks and the process starts again. This looks like a very big job, just the passenger side took more than an hour to get clear water out of all holes and unblock the chasis.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-05 at 18.11.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-05 at 18.11.10.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 31
Got 2 pairs of ramps

I think there are a few of us here that have those same ramps. Very useful. As part of your standard procedures before using them, and again when you've finished (assuming its not raining :)), check around them for cracks and make sure they are in good condition. I had one that was cracked in transit. Also if you are getting under there for any length of time, stick a couple of axle stands under the chassis anyway, as a precaution - that's what I do anyway.

Think you'll find the ramps a lot quicker than jacking the car up etc - they will be a good addition to your toolkit!

Well done getting a start on cleaning the chassis - just take your time and dont expect to finish the job in five minutes. I spent weeks sorting mine, but its time well spent - and as you have learnt, you're better off doing the job yourself if you can - at least then you know whats been done and to what standard. The more you do now the less I'll have to do when I buy it. ha ha :)

Thanks Karl. Didnt check for damage as I unboxed them today and used them straight away. Was in a hurry to play with my new toys. Luckily I asked my wife to be my spotter to climb the ramps. In third attempt I managed to climb ramps. She got paranoid and didnt let me work until I kept axle stands as safety :)

Good choice Raj.

Agree Karl, those extra wide ramps make it much easier to drive straight up, without stopping and checking. Nice rigid construction and nowhere near as heavy as the steel ones, and well within the weight rating of a landcruiser.
I think we got ours at a good price, considering what they are now.

Back