Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Will BF Goodrich AT KO2 - 265/70 R16 fit my alloy wheels?

You might get some fouling - it depends. :neutral:

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question but I have fitted 265/75R16s on both the original Collie alloys and more recently on 80 series alloys. They both fouled a tiny bit on LH full lock, only on the mudflap, before and after I had a 50mm suspension lift. Others have fitted the same size without any issues.

However on most accounts I've read (and I've read very many :wink:) - 265/75 is a size that you can "upgrade" to without any significant issues.

Ok. So as long as I don't go full lock, they SHOULD be ok for now?
Next question, I don't really want to put a 2" lift on her, so Chadr, where did you source the parts for the 50mm lift, and was it a straight case of putting in new shocks etc without mucking about with anything else, pipes, wiring, fuel tank etc.?

I need to keep it simple as I'm quite simple :)

Ok. So as long as I don't go full lock, they SHOULD be ok for now?
Next question, I don't really want to put a 2" lift on her, so Chadr, where did you source the parts for the 50mm lift, and was it a straight case of putting in new shocks etc without mucking about with anything else, pipes, wiring, fuel tank etc.?

I need to keep it simple as I'm quite simple :)

If you get any fouling there are three steps you can take before resorting to a lift:

1. remove mudguards at rear of front wheelarch (helped in my case)

2. some have resorted to re-shaping with a hammer of the inside of the wheelarch (I'ne no experience of this)

3. get a full wheel alignment done. Castor angle in particular has a big effect on the wheel position in the arch and when I got mine done it removed all my fouling issues. I have heard it said that experienced alignment technicians can fine-tune your camber, toe and castor angles to reposition the wheel without any bad effects on handling, but that is more advanced than what I had done which was just resetting to factory spec. Although I later installed a 2" lift, this helped before I had the lift and my OS wheel fouled the chassis rail at full lock. (It didn't cause a problem, just a dug-dug-dug noise as the tyre blocks caught on the chassis)

If you do need to fit a 2" suspension lift its a relatively simple job requiring either spacers or new springs all round and front shocks (rears are less important) for the most basic lift. No need for brake pipes, prop spacers, steering spacers, castor correction bushes and all the other gubbins that some models seem to need unless you are going mega-high

If you get any fouling there are three steps you can take before resorting to a lift:

1. remove mudguards at rear of front wheelarch (helped in my case)

2. some have resorted to re-shaping with a hammer of the inside of the wheelarch (I'ne no experience of this)

3. get a full wheel alignment done. Castor angle in particular has a big effect on the wheel position in the arch and when I got mine done it removed all my fouling issues. I have heard it said that experienced alignment technicians can fine-tune your camber, toe and castor angles to reposition the wheel without any bad effects on handling, but that is more advanced than what I had done which was just resetting to factory spec. Although I later installed a 2" lift, this helped before I had the lift and my OS wheel fouled the chassis rail at full lock. (It didn't cause a problem, just a dug-dug-dug noise as the tyre blocks caught on the chassis)

If you do need to fit a 2" suspension lift its a relatively simple job requiring either spacers or new springs all round and front shocks (rears are less important) for the most basic lift. No need for brake pipes, prop spacers, steering spacers, castor correction bushes and all the other gubbins that some models seem to need unless you are going mega-high

Cheers for the info Dave

Dave's already provided most of the info - in my case, I could reshape the front mudflap (apparently a heat gun works very well) but I am a lazy bar steward and it only catches a tiny tiny bit - not enough to damage the tyre or mudflap. So I just live with it.

The caster can be adjusted to slightly compensate for this, however my caster bushes/bolts are seized solid, so adjustment isn't an option.

As per my sig - I have fitted an Ironman 50mm (2 inch in old money) suspension lift - which was done by West Coast about 6-7 years ago. (There are quite a few different options available nowadays - the search function is your friend here... ;)).

Can I ask why you're set aginst a 2" lift? Is it just the cost/hassle? They're certainly not necessary on these trucks but I personally think they improve the looks a bit and a 2" suspension lift makes them all but unstoppable on non-tarmac roads

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can I ask why you're set aginst a 2" lift? Is it just the cost/hassle? They're certainly not necessary on these trucks but I personally think they improve the looks a bit and a 2" suspension lift makes them all but unstoppable on non-tarmac roads
I guess it's the perceived hassle of a lift. If it's a case of swapping out the old suspension and putting new ones in with no other mods required, I could be tempted.

No other mods are required. You may well get more than 50mm of lift as the original suspension will have sagged a bit - it is 20 years old!

If you do go down that route make sure you match the SL components to the use that you intend i.e don't go for a heavy duty setup if it's going to be a daily drive family car and so on.

Again lots of info here already, the search function is your friend. :)

No other mods are required. You may well get more than 50mm of lift as the original suspension will have sagged a bit - it is 20 years old!

If you do go down that route make sure you match the SL components to the use that you intend i.e don't go for a heavy duty setup if it's going to be a daily drive family car and so on.

Again lots of info here already, the search function is your friend. :)
She's not my daily, that's what the Ford is for. She's for fun.

There's quite a few choices for suspension Bert but it helps to have a start point so http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/toyota-4x4-parts/suspension/suspension-lift-kits.html

Wheel spacers or wider wheels will do a lot to improve the look of the truck even if you stick to standard size tyres .
Ok Shayne, I'm almost sold on the idea. I did plan to replace the original factory fitted shocks soon cause they are old anyway. Think I'd go for what you said but pre assembled http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/pedders-full-2-inch-suspension-lift-kit-pre-assembled.html for ease. Shit, my Good Woman is going to be upset, she moans it's hard enough to get in and out of already.... :)

Women love to moan mate give her nothing to moan about and she will start chatting up the milkman out of boredom , that's my philosophy anyway :lol:

Given that your trucks a toy and modification obviously appeals to you it might be an idea to pick an already modified truck as a blueprint for your own and simply follow the lead given .

My truck is my first car and so i did it all ass about face buying the wheels and tyres i wanted first then making my truck fit them , without experience to guide me i did buy several things twice . Froggy Steve upgraded his suspension then decided he wanted a winch bumper so had to change his front suspension again , i think Andy tried a coil spacer lift and then for whatever reason decided on a 2" suspension lift instead and i'm sure there's plenty of other similar headaches encountered along the way .

Because you want bigger tyres and now your willing to upset the mrs with a suspension lift i reckon new wheels will almost certainly follow which might move scrubbing problems from here to here .

What i'm saying is save yourself some headaches and copy someone who has a finished modified truck .

Women love to moan mate give her nothing to moan about and she will start chatting up the milkman out of boredom , that's my philosophy anyway :lol:

Given that your trucks a toy and modification obviously appeals to you it might be an idea to pick an already modified truck as a blueprint for your own and simply follow the lead given .

My truck is my first car and so i did it all ass about face buying the wheels and tyres i wanted first then making my truck fit them , without experience to guide me i did buy several things twice . Froggy Steve upgraded his suspension then decided he wanted a winch bumper so had to change his front suspension again , i think Andy tried a coil spacer lift and then for whatever reason decided on a 2" suspension lift instead and i'm sure there's plenty of other similar headaches encountered along the way .

Because you want bigger tyres and now your willing to upset the mrs with a suspension lift i reckon new wheels will almost certainly follow which might move scrubbing problems from here to here .

What i'm saying is save yourself some headaches and copy someone who has a finished modified truck .
I will stick with my baby, anything else would be disloyal, besides I got her next to nothing and getting another is beyond my budget. I think the lift and new tires will do for this year. I was lucky enough to get all the undercovers repaired and recoated at work, the wheels are in for blasting and painting. I've got a nudge bar of an Isuzu that is also in workfor modifying, painting (the perks of working for a steel construction company and a great boss :) ) and then there's the radiator, ac unit and associated parts I couldn't get done last year cause I ran out of time and nice weather. Yep, I love my truck. Plus of course, as you say, there's a wealth of knowledge from folks who've gone where I no longer fear to tread on this website. Thanks guys :)

We put Pedders kit on our 80 series - really nice ride quality.

Back