Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Bumpers

Julian

So what do you all think
Where do we stand with winch bumpers with bar work, are they legal?
I see TBR are selling them again, but Devon 4x4 don't seem to be. I spoke to OEC and they suggested 'no go'
I have also seen on
http://www.tjmproducts.ch/
They are selling a range of euro bumpers, they look like the standard bars but without bar work

My (limited liability ;) ) understanding is that the grey area is / was caused by choice of wording. Is it primarily a frontal protection system or is it primarily a winch mount? My T3 came from OEC only last year when we were well into all this FPS madness so I thought they were still doing them but I guess not. Shame because with the hoop left off and painted an OEM bumper colour you'd probably hardly notice it wasn't OEM.

EDIT: I see what you're saying now - about the bars. They're not a great loss IMO if they are lost, didn't stop me breaking front lights on my 80 with a T15 and I don't worry much about animal strikes!

It is not legal to sell them or to fit them since a certain date. I can not remember that date. But if it was "fitted" before then, your ok ;)

Paul

One thing that baffles me is how is this enforced? MOT guy will not care, police have no evidence to prove it was fitted after a certain date... So who checks these things?

Rob said:
One thing that baffles me is how is this enforced? MOT guy will not care, police have no evidence to prove it was fitted after a certain date... So who checks these things?

Simple check would be with insurers, you did tell them you modified your vehicle didn't you? ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
Rob said:

Simple check would be with insurers, you did tell them you modified your vehicle didn't you? ;)

tbh though, it's just yet another unenforceable daft law IMO

Someone somewhere posted when this first became law that whatever the French equivelent of an MOT is they had started noting if you had a bull bar fitted or not. Maybe some other countries in Europe have done the same and it's more of a problem over there.

When i bought an "A" frame for the LR, the box had a sticker on it saying "not to be fitted to vehicles built before 2002" and it didnt mean the vehicle spec.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Someone somewhere posted when this first became law that whatever the French equivelent of an MOT is they had started noting if you had a bull bar fitted or not. Maybe some other countries in Europe have done the same and it's more of a problem over there.

Here in Spain anything goes......................if you can get an engineer to certify it is fitted safely! You do not see much in the way of modifications here in fact many are still experimenting with wide wheels on their Fiesta. The authorities are not keen on anything that the factory did not fit, if you decide you want to go the big wheels/bull bar/winch and are even fitting a CB..............honest, then you have to have the item/s:

Verified/licensed/validated/scrutinised and if they are happy you get a piece of paper saying so! But again I ran a Discovery 1 over here with armour/air lockers/snorkle/winch/CB ect for three years and only once did the guy at the ITV station (MOT) point out that I should have the snorkle checked for safety and security at the local Land Rover dealer!!

No problem I said and he passed it, I was not concerned as the car was sold anyway but I did warn the new owner.

regards

Dave

As mentioned, it comes down to wording. A winch bumper is OK, allegedly. A 'bull bar' is not.

However, I've been after one of these Type 17 TJM bumpers for a while now:

T17120PRADO_475.jpg

No-one here seems to be interested - OEC didn't even have the courtesy to get back to me :x . Can't believe I'll have to order from Europe :(

Gary
That is the one I have been looking at also
I think it would be pretty straight forward to point out it is only a winch bumper
Where have you found them in europe?

Julian - your variant!!

T17IFSCRUISER100_475.jpg

Go to http://www.tjmproducts.ch Switzerland!! Funny to see the pic of the Simpson desert on a website of a country that I perceive to be green and anything but flat :lol:

EDIT: I've mailed them for a price for my 120 ....

Gary
If you don't mind me asking how did you get on with them
Thanks
J

Not heard back from them - no surprise there :evil:

You'd think that some countries were exempt from the economic woes of the rest of the world, and that small-ish companies were somehow buffered from it all :cry:

I'll try again, and try OEC as well - but this time mention the Land Cruiser Club :D

Have you tried phoning them? bit old fashioned I know :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Have you tried phoning them? bit old fasioned I know :lol:
Do explain this phone of which you speak. :ugeek:

Gary, having a little look about at the Swiss TJM dealers and found this lot
http://www.off-road-boehlen.ch/index.html
on their home page they have a link to a TJM special offer page
TJM 17 for 120 series listed as CHF 1250 inc local VAT
They also have a TJM 3 for mine at CHF 1350 was after a 17 ideally but they are pretty thin on the ground

I'm still confused and a number of websites seem to have conflicting info. If you buy an 80 series can you fit it with a bull bar [arb/tjm] by calling it a winch bar? I understand that you would have to tell an insurer about the mod which then brings the date forward to the mod. I'm wondering because i'm going to look at an overland vehicle with one fitted so if i purchase it, am i therefore potentially breaking some law?

best thing to do is ask your insurer. remember it is only illegal to sell and distribute frontal protection systems which dont conform to the eu standards, so you as a consumer can only get into trouble with your insurance company IMO.

Back