Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Help

CJBNomad8654

I was taught that at a minimum you should have a winch that will pull 1.5 times the vehicle weight when fully loaded.I am outfitting a 1997 LC 80-Series for an overland trip. The factory weight is 2500kg. That alone is already a bit over for an 8000lbs winch. This suggestion is supposed to be a straight line pull, not with the cable doubled back. So, if I outfit the vehicle with the ARB 80 Series front bullbar with Warn winch, ARB rear bumper with wheel carrier and jerry can holder, 166l fuel tank, two Outback drawers, 70L fridge, cargo cage, dual battery system, compressor, roof rack, RTT, and necessary recovery accessories, what size winch do I need? For some reason ARB does not list the weights for its bumpers, bullbars, or accessories so I am asking for peoples experience and whether they have weighed their vehicle when fully loaded. I'm asking because the store I am at is trying to help me save some money on the build and said the 8000lbs would be enough, but according to the recommended size that is barely enough to pull the factory - showroom floor - version on the 80 series.

For the difference in prices, go for a 9500lb winch - there are some very good winches on the market at this weight category and reasonably priced. Personally I would also run plasma rather than wire - safety and weight advantages.

This is an argument that can run and run, so be warned. But I shall say this only once. The 9500 is absolutely enough. It will do what you need. I have a very heavy 80 that gets into some pretty deep stuff. 9500 gets it out. However, there is nothing to stop you WANTING to fit a bigger winch, but you don't NEED to. What you really need is a good 9500 lbs winch. Frankly I'd rather have a really good 8000 than a Chinese ebay 20 000lb one. What you want to be absolutely certain of, is that when you press 'wind in', that it is going to wind in. Reliability is everything. You tend to end up driving into things sometimes thinking, well if it goes wrong, I have the winch. Then all you get is click click click. Forget these £39.00 remote controls. They work, sometimes, for a bit. Fine unless your life depends on it.

Chris

Nice. Straight and to the point. All I need to hear is "I have a very heavy 80 that gets into some pretty deep stuff. 9500 gets it out."

Which 9500s would you recommend Chris? I had a 9000i Warn in SA many moons ago

Not Warn.

Any decent brand. I like the TDS Goldfish from Goodwinch, but not everyone does. The Come Up winches look very nice and I have seen them under test.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not warn - interesting - that was THE brand in SA way back. Have seen TDS Goldfish but never Come UP

I have a 9.5 tds from Goodwinch and I really rate it. It's got the bowmotor2 fitted so has loads of pull. Only issue had was the original motor failed but it's had some use. Use 11mm plasma rather then steel cable.
Had it on my old motors and will go on the 80.
Winch recovered a unimog with it and used to work as a marshal at tong so did a lot of recovery work with it.

Whatever winch you get if you look after it it'll look after you.

I've relied on it quite heavily in the past and it's got me out of trouble a few times. Plus I didn't pay for it lol, got as an engagement present from my now wife lol (so guess really paid for it!) Had it about 5 years now and still going strong (taking about the winch)
Tbh the motor failure was more pilot error then anything else.

Lol. Guess budget and how much you plan on using it will be a big factor in your choice.
I personally wouldn't think twice to buying the same one again if I had to. The motor upgrade was purely a "why not while it's apart" purchase but made a big difference in pull.

i may have two 9.5tds winches for sale soon -plasma,very little use

let me know when they are available Pete, if the price is right i could be in Kilmarnock in no time:icon-wink:

Another vote for Goodwinch - brake configuration means it shouldn't fry the plasma either. Meant to mention - in extreme need remember you can even tie a snapped plasma - try that with cable!!!

I have 2 x 12,000lb winches TDS Goldfish winches (one not yet fitred to the rear), as I found the 9,000lb ones not man enough. I do not do getting stuck, but when I do I am stuck!!

20032011615.jpg

I have a 9.5 tds from Goodwinch and I really rate it. It's got the bowmotor2 fitted so has loads of pull. Only issue had was the original motor failed but it's had some use. Use 11mm plasma rather then steel cable.
Had it on my old motors and will go on the 80.
Winch recovered a unimog with it and used to work as a marshal at tong so did a lot of recovery work with it.

Whatever winch you get if you look after it it'll look after you.

"I have a 9.5 tds from Goodwinch and I really rate it.
Only issue had was the original motor failed but it's had some use."
:eusa-clap::eusa-clap::eusa-clap:

OK, so you really rate it in one breath, then tell us all you had the motor failed in the next breath....

Next please.

Gra

Back