Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch isolating switch rating?

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I'm replacing my winch solenoid for an Allbright equivalent, currently the winch is connected directly to the battery and I want to install an isolator switch for emergency cut off on the solenoid box above the winch which is open to the elements.

The winch is an unknown brand and capacity, I've seen switches ranging from 100 Amp to 500 Amp continuous rating and pricing from £20 to £150.

So what should I be considering? I don't want to skimp but don't want to over engineer either to keep the costs reasonable.

Thanks Andy,

Looks just the job.

Hi Trevor,

I can't be much help on what you should get, but don't be tempted to use the motorsport cut-off switches with the red removable key like the first couple of items on the page Andy linked to.

A well-known Oxfordshire 4x4 preparation company fitted one with the winch they sold to my car's previous owner. The first time the winch was under a proper load (pulling Ian out of the mud hole at Lincombe) it promptly melted and fell to bits...

AFAICS the one Andy suggested should be fine...

All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

The other chap to have a word with is David Bowyer at Goodwinch - he stocks all the bits & bobs required for installing winches Trev & is an extremely helpful chap

The MBS4 is the one that Goodwinch supply.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back