Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Orientation

warrenpfo

I have stripped my winch of its control box as want to mount it in the engine bay and replace it with an albright.

This might be a stupid question but it there only one way to mount a winch?

Below is a picture of the winch as it would be mounted up against the bumper at the bottom of the picture. Can i flip it so the free spool is on the left and the motor is closer to the battery to reduce cable and make for a cleaner installation?

8561916222_be256a8d2c_c.jpg

The only reason i cant see it working as the 3 horizontal silver bars you see have two at the rear of the winch and one at the front. The one at the front is currently at the bottom but if i was to flip it it would be at the top but im not sure if this would cause a problem or not. I would of course have to rotate the free spool leaver.

Under correction, but yes I think it can only go the one way - rope must wind on from the bottom, so that's where the guide rail goes.

Like I said - happy to be corrected :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yeah thats not a problem,then you can rotate the end with the freespool lever on around to put it back at the top(only to stop the grease running out).
But as gary says the winch is designed to only pull in one direction so if you flip it over you will have to pull from the top.

Rich is correct. The rope does not have to wind on from the bottom, but it must wind on in one direction only. This is so that the brake works. If you go the opposite way it won't hold on a slope. The silver rods are tie bars to hold the two halves together. They aren't actually guide rails. They usually only come with two, not sure why you have three unless that's the difference between the normal winch and the one with the bridge like I have. Hmm probably is. My rear winch is mounted feet first and turned around so the the rope in effect comes out of the bottom of the winch. But still from the right side of the drum.

So is the battery on the right on a 100 then Warren? Thought they'd be twin battery like the 80.

Chris

Yes Chris twin batteries but the passenger side is the Main and the drivers side will become Aux1 but will be able to winch off both if i need with the flick of a switch. Otherwise I want to winch off the main battery as that the one the alternator charges first with the engine on.

Interesting. You are splitting them then are you? I don't think that the alternator charges one before the other on an 80 - they're in parallel. But the main is the driver side. I don't think it really makes much difference really. Looking forward to seeing it all set up.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I split them then the alternator will charge one then the other but you are right at the moment it charges both at the same time.

As it stands the drivers side is only used for the pre heater matrix which when in SA will not be needed but will still be wired in just in case.

Will keep you posted

....As it stands the drivers side is only used for the pre heater matrix which when in SA will not be needed but will still be wired in just in case.
Will keep you posted
The heater matrix is not needed in any case. It's purely an emmision issue. I haven't had mine connected for three years, and it starts fine down to minus 20 C (hasn't been any colder here)

The most important electrical factor for starting is high CCA. With two batteries, the CCA is twice as high as with one. In the standard configuration, there is no main battery. They are both contributing equally. If you want to run one starter battery and one aux, it's entirely up to your wiring which one becomes which.

Last edited:
The heater matrix is not needed in any case. It's purely an emmision issue. I haven't had mine connected for three years, and it starts fine down to minus 20 C (hasn't been any colder here)

The most important electrical factor for starting is high CCA. With two batteries, the CCA is twice as high as with one. In the standard configuration, there is no main battery. They are both contributing equally. If you want to run one starter battery and one aux, it's entirely up to your wiring which one becomes which.

Thanks for the input. My understanding is that the alternator is connected to the passenger side battery which in turn is connected to the drivers ride. With the large fuse link on the passenger side with the fuse box connected I would make that the main battery as all you need to do to the drivers side is add a vsr to the positive and remove the heater matrix wire and you have a dedicated aux battery rather than trying to relocate fuses etc.

Back