Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch tray or winch bumper .

Well you can free spool in either direction so that tells you nothing. If you can pull rope out with the clutch engaged then the rope is on backwards.

This is the closest i can find so i can either copy the pic or remove the rope until its wired up and mess with it later http://catalog.redneck-trailer.com/PicturesCategory/TR 5000 winch.jpg

Or Ramsey rep9000

regardless the online user manual for both says freespool out and lock to use , if winch loses power it will automatically lock securing its load . As i have no power i can only spool out one way which tells me how to mount it ,,, i think :icon-smile:

Last edited:
Do you have a remote cable Shayne, or do you intend wiring to a switch on the dash (or both)?

Non of the above Clive i have no idea about electric winches , Trev breaking Lil Blue just presented an opportunity for me to avoid messing with electrics so i've asked him to fit the split charge system into my truck and i figured while i'm at it why not see if i can get the winch hooked up as well .

Stage one of a larger project if you will because i think i will be buying modifying and welding a steel bumper to the winch tray eventually .

Because Clive made me think about it i will guess the winch did have a wireless remote control which would explain that little black box in the pic .

Loads of universal ones on ebay for less than a tenner so will any 12v one do ?

Because Clive made me think about it i will guess the winch did have a wireless remote control which would explain that little black box in the pic .

Loads of universal ones on ebay for less than a tenner so will any 12v one do ?

I don't know much either Shayne, just what I've got.

My winch is simple, and I guess yours is too, some have a powered clutch assy, so you can free-spool at the flick of a switch. Yours and mine is a simple 3 pin pug on the remote cable, so you'll need the remote trigger switch, its cable and a receiver socket for the plug.

The wiring couldn't be simpler, it's a two direction sprung switch, one way for in and the other way for out. The spring position is neutral (off) so if you slip and let go, everything stops. A dead-man's lever approach.

It's peeing down at the mo, but if it eases off, I'll post a few pics so you know what I'm on about.

My remote socket is mounted on the control box housing the solenoids, but you can put it anywhere as there's only the small size control wiring going to it.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The rain has eased off a bit, here's the remote cable and trigger, it's not wireless, it's a wire, and I guess any 12V one would do the trick, but you need the cable and a socket for it to plug into.
image.jpeg

Here's the hand-held thumb switch
image.jpeg

Here's the winch end plug looking manky but it works...
image.jpeg

And here's the socket it plugs into on the control box, it's got a plastic dirt cover in place
image.jpeg

Dirt cover opened.... Showing the 3 pin socket
image.jpeg

Clutch operating lever... It's a Superwinch 9000...
image.jpeg

And at the moment, bundled very badly, admitted :lol:

Strongly advise getting a plasma rope, anything except the wire, it's very hard to work with for occasional use.

Last edited:
Pics don't work for me mate "invalidate attachment" but i think i know what they will show though my tray has the remains of a plug in remote socket still on it . :think: clutch is basically a lever to manually disengage the gearing on mine so a remote would just be in/out control . I don't know how these universal wireless remotes wire in but i would have thought they are just alternative means to the same ends as a plug in remote ?

I like the idea of wireless just because its less junk to stow in my truck .

If things go to plan the winch will never be used so yes the rope will be changed , its always nice to have a plan B

If things go to plan the winch will never be used so yes the rope will be changed , its always nice to have a plan B
Changing to a plasma rope is a huge weight saving too.

Pics don't work for me mate "invalidate attachment" but i think i know what they will show though my tray has the remains of a plug in remote socket still on it . :think: clutch is basically a lever to manually disengage the gearing on mine so a remote would just be in/out control . I don't know how these universal wireless remotes wire in but i would have thought they are just alternative means to the same ends as a plug in remote ?

I like the idea of wireless just because its less junk to stow in my truck .

Sorry 'bout the pics, maybe they're ok now.

yep, nothing exciting.

Wireless remote IMO, would be good for those doing trials and need a quick set up. But whatever you choose, you have to carry it. My cable and hand control has been dropped in the mud, driven over, left out in the rain, dropped in the wash bucket, all bad things you could think of. Not sure a remote would be good after that, and then there's batteries to consider. Sat unused for 18 months, then don't work when you need them.

The cable is long enough to lob it through the drivers window, so you can winch and drive, if necessary.

My next job is to wire the winch to the unused aerial switches, up and down, in and out, if you catch my drift. It's a second option that will make it a bit more versatile.

Pics work now and i agree with all your good practical advise regarding the wired remote :thumbup: undecided i will give some thought to where i can hide a 6ft length of wire out of sight for the other 364 days of the year .

I think the best bet is both that way of the batteries are flat you can still use the winch. I have mine.coiled up behind the rear seats. Do you have the cubby on the rear side panels shayne?

Yes Stu crammed full with jack , jump leads , wheel spanners , straps and other stuff i lost years ago . One step at a time is probably the best way to do this but there is no chance i will be fitting the winch tray in today's weather .

What you really need to hold the winch stuff shayne is a nice set of drawers in the back........

Yes and then use Helen's truck for all things useful , i don't think that would work for me .

I've got 3 toolboxes across the back end of the truck, one with usual tools, spanners etc., the others carry chain, shackles, straps, ropes, the snatch-block, air-line and pressure gauge, and the winch remote. In fact all recovery stuff.

If you don't want to carry Shayne, rig a permanently wired switch on the dash. A two-stage heater fan rocker switch or aerial switch would do, anything rocker with 2 positions for in and out will do.

Easiest is a radio remote. Just pick a reasonable one as you don't want your winch operating when you don't want it to (if that makes sense). Then all you've got to do is put the remote somewhere. Being detached from the vehicle means you can take any viewing position and you're not tethered to the vehicle.

A shut off switch somewhere is essential.

I exclusively use a remote that i keep in the centre console, along with a spare battery, a back up is allways a good idea though.what isolator have you gone for shane?

Back