Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Window Goes down but not up!?

Dan88

Garage
I put the window down in my 90 series today on the passenger side, then I couldn't get it to go up?
I dropped the window about 50mm, then it wouldn't go back up. The window will still go down but won't got up...
Any ideas before I get stuck in tomorrow?

Test to see if the switch has given up maybe give it a clean. i haven't taken this apart but is it easy to swap over from the other door to check if it is a faulty switch.

Joe

It'll work from both doors going down, but neither going up?

I would check the wires going through the door/body for a break, give them a wiggle and see if anything comes to life.

Joe

If you get totally stuck, and the window is down.

You could always pop the door card off and use a piece of wire. Connect one end to the + on the battery and the other end to one of the terminals on the connector going to the window motor, in order to close the window. :icon-wink:

When I have seen this problem on 70's its usually switch related as opposed to a wiring fault.

Try disconnecting the passenger side switch and see if the drivers side now works, and vice versa. :icon-smile:

It'll work from both doors going down, but neither going up?
Unlikely to be a switch then, but not impossible for both switches to pack in.
If neither switch is raising the window, then I would question if there is really power getting to the motor, and the window is physically being restrained from raising.

Does the 70 have up and down power relays? Can you swap them over?

After that, I would think it is a broken wire from some where where the motor is, to the connection where both switches (from the 2 doors)
I expect a switched 12 volts from the drivers door, and a switched 12 volts from the passenger door.
Where them two switch wires connect, to the point on the motor sounds like your suspect wire.

Gra.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
*Update*
The winder motor seems fine, when connected to a supply works well. I've taken the switches apart and the seem ok, I think. I'm going to strip the door loom next and look through that!

Back