Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wing mirror retractor failure

Hi what I mean is you fold them fully back with your hand with engine stopped and key out then put key in and start engine they should unfold by themselves automatically they do on mine.
No, its designed to unlock rather than break.

There is a slight click and your heart sinks that you have broken it... but there is a small clip that unlocks and the mirror comes free. Free as in flapping free. When you turn ignition, it will engage the motor and deploy them again.

This is setup so as to not break the mounting or motors if you clip something.

Only thing is that i don't believe they lock back out in the open position by hand once it's free, need to have the motor engage and deploy it.

Try it on your good side first :)
Mine fold in and out without any drag effect they faintly click when I fold them back out I do that regularly when I park up at work, I do it by hand to save the motors and batteries unnecessary stress.
I also fold them back accidentally when I wash the car and just pull them back out there's no drag and I have never had a problem when I have used the switch in the car, in fact ever since I got the car that switch never lights up at night when the lights are on so it is awkward to use when sat in car at night when you pull up to stop temporarily on a narrow busy road.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't find any indicator wires in the fuse box, just permanent lives. As Clive says, if the loom doesn't have an appropriate connection (which it may actually have being a Toyota), then the side repeater is one place or look out the correct wire in the dash that goes to the instruments, that would save too much wire routing.

Clive,
that will be a great help if I can't replace the innards of the one I have. My mirrors are body coloured though (1E9), so I would get the black ones with indicators and have them painted. My current ones don't have indicators on them. Presumably I would take a feed for the indicators from the main fuse box?

Ed
Take the inners out of the new mirror and use your old casing

Take the inners out of the new mirror and use your old casing
I can not see how to get the inners out without breaking the mirror glass there is no screws visible and haynes manual says mirror glass is not changeable on 120. If glass was to crack I would just stick on one of those stickover cracked glass replacement mirror rather than change whole mirror I have used them on other cars its a cheap repair

Back