Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wiring Antenna switch for winch control

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
image.png
image.png
In an effort to use every single switch blank on the dash, I've got one of the below antenna switches.
I have an antenna too but I don't need it for that.
Does anyone have the first idea on how to wire this to run the winch ? Oh and does anyone have the plug that goes into this kicking around (Karl)
I assume I run the thin blue and yellow wires from the solenoid to the two different buttons of the switch and then would there be a return to earth from each side too ? Are the switches illuminated ? And the 3 pins
Power/earth/illumination

I'm going to be doing the same, but I won't attempt to advise you how, a lectricky friend of mine will be doing it!

But when he does, I'll let you know how, if it's not too late, that is.

PS don't hold your breath though :whistle:

I'd just get a wireless remote and save the grief. There's a lot of winch operating done from outside the vehicle. This won't help you then. Much. Avoid the super cheap Chinese ones, but there are some mid priced ones around. Failing that just by a Lodar. I wish I had kept mine off the silver one. They are top quality.

Like I said, avoid the cheap Chinese ones. They're rubbish really. They work until they don't I'm afraid. I recall thinking, when Gary was hanging over that cliff edge in the Atlas Mountains - Jeez I hope he has a proper winch remote. He did. And he's still alive. Apparently.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going to be doing the same, but I won't attempt to advise you how, a lectricky friend of mine will be doing it!

But when he does, I'll let you know how, if it's not too late, that is.

PS don't hold your breath though :whistle:

Cheers Clive

TBH I've been thinking to treat myself to a new winch with a remote and a remote free-spool too.

I need to have a chat with the bank manager,

I'll wait till she gets home ..... :whistle:

I'm gonna go for the remote option suggested by you guys.
I'll leave it unconnected for now but it fills the blank I guess ... not bad for a tenner
Hmmmm I need a FSM before I can refer to one, (googles FSM and eliminates female seeking male & Flying Spaghetti Monster before replying)

While we are talking winches .... is 50mm wire sufficient or shall I go 70mm2 for the main power cable ?
I'm gonna tie the earths on the two batteries together with 50mm, beef up the alternator cable to the same and then 35mm for the remaining blue/yellow

Winches usually come with 25mm actually. That should be fine. 70 is far too much and unnecessary plus it's expensive and damn difficult to work with. Bigger alternator is good plus run an aux earth directly from the alternator to the chassis, body or where ever. The earth strap on the engine is the only earth for the alternator. If that fails or is poor then the upgrade isn't possibly going to give you all that you want. Adding an additional earth strap to your engine is never a bad thing on an expedition vehicle.

Cue someone saying now that it's a terribly bad idea. :icon-rolleyes:

You would be surprised how many electrical "problems" I look at that turn out to be the earth.....most people never check the earth .
Deff add another earth strap , it can do no harm , also it's often overlooked when upgrading things , put bigger power supply and draw more current but try and earth it all through the same small earth wire "cause power don't go down the earth....it's only in the red wires " ;-) ;-)

Theres a good wright up on how to do it on the Slee website. Need a couple of relays to isolate each button so as you cant energise both, in and out functions at the same time. I took my switch apart to work out what each pin does.

Regards

Tom

Winches usually come with 25mm actually. That should be fine. 70 is far too much and unnecessary plus it's expensive and damn difficult to work with. Bigger alternator is good plus run an aux earth directly from the alternator to the chassis, body or where ever. The earth strap on the engine is the only earth for the alternator. If that fails or is poor then the upgrade isn't possibly going to give you all that you want. Adding an additional earth strap to your engine is never a bad thing on an expedition vehicle.

Cue someone saying now that it's a terribly bad idea. :icon-rolleyes:

Cheers Chris I was just on the verge of grabbing 2m of the 70mm stuff. Saved me a few quid and lots of cursing no doubt trying to get it located.

Cheers Tom/Grimbo.

Apart from the winch, I have 6 spots and lightbars in total, 4 usb sockets, a CTEK, smartpass and a solar panel, a Waeco fridge and an ARB compressor to wire in. I just find electrics really daunting :anguished:.
I've got the 12 volt conversion in (stood over the engine with an extinguisher on startup) and thats boosted my confidence a little so gonna hopefully get them all in by the end of 2017. That sounds like a resolution.

Back