Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Won't start ....

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Tried to start my truck this morning. ... Turned the key ... And it just clicked. So i gave the starter motor a belt with a crow bar thinking it was that that was sticking .... But nope it just clicked

Any ideas would be appreciated as i do need the car

Battery flat?

Have you left some thing on, which has flattened the batteries?

Do the head lights com on at full brightness?

Gra.

Headlights come on fully .... Nothing is left on ...
I am wondering if the immobiliser has got stuck or something ...

Just seen your post Carl, I had the same problem a few months ago, in my case it was a fault on my alarm/immobiliser not found until after getting another starter from Karl W :icon-rolleyes:

Thanks chas .... How did you fix the alarm/immobiliser

Thanks chas .... How did you fix the alarm/immobiliser

Called the Clifford engineer who fitted it as I had no idea where to start. He found a badly connected connector which he had installed, it had probably drifted apart with vibrations :think: he wrapped a cable tie round it to keep it together and then tried to fob me off with some story about it being a factory fault but I think he had fitted it wrongly, but there was no charge, just as well because he would have got nothing from me. :eusa-naughty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers ..... Think this one is a standard fitting from the factory ..... I've got a little black round thing that i have to put the key against before it'll kick over. ... Will get a pic that should explain it

here is how my ignition looks ....

th_20130215_134815.jpg th_20130215_134908.jpg

the black round thing is for the immobiliser ....this is how i bought it.

Last edited:
Doesn't really look standard! Any documentation come with it or on the key itself even? You might even get lucky if there is a serial number on the key itself.

Also is it definitely the alternator solenoid clicking? As I thought if that is clicking it wouldn't be an immobiliser problem. Well at least not in that circuit!

Does that second key actually start it? It does look like an ignition key.

If not i'm going to take a wild guess and say the ignition barrel (or electronics) have at some stage been replaced and there was a problem with sensor and or the radio chip in the key you currently start it with.

I'm far from an expert and really just making wild theories here ... but I think it would be worth taking the plastic down and checking for any loose wires. There are only a few screws that hold it on.

Does anyone else have more of an informed opinion?

The black surround where you insert the "immobiliser key" definitely looks like it belongs around the ignition barrel itself.

Looks like a sensor ring to pick up a chip in the key. Also looks like it's been bodged, if I'm not mistaken (not familiar with the 80) that black ring is meant to be around the ignition barrel, which itself looks very misaligned with the plastic shrouding.

All the hallmarks of a failing immobiliser sensor ring; I used to have to do similar on my BMW GSAdv when the EWS ring started playing up (which it frequently did)

Doodle, if the sensor ring was failing ... would you get the starter solenoid clicking?

Good question - I was referring to the sensor ring hanging out etc rather than the clicking solenoid. Depends on what happens when it fails, I guess.

My guess is that it wouldn't - so if the click is the solenoid then it's probably not the bodged sensor ring setup.

I'm sure a Jon or a Chris will be along shortly to answer more definitively.

If that's what it is, then I would concur. The fact that the sensor ring is bodged makes you wonder if someone has been there before for similar issues?

If it's a manual you could try a push start as well to further confirm.

Back