Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Won't start ....

no numbers on the key (except the toyota logo embosed in the fob) ...or documentation with it ..

click can be heard on here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaa3JDcY3Xo

That sounds very much like the noise my 95 made when the starter contacts gave up the ghost.

Although this didn't happen overnight, it was a very gradual thing - try once and you would get the dreaded "click", try next time and it was fine. This became 2 clicks, 3 clicks and so on over weeks/months, until it took a few mins of trying before the starter would engage.

Eventually got around to changing the plunger and the contacts, and the starter is now good as new.

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like the starter solenoid is firing to me, but there's no high tension across the contacts. Could be the contacts are not contacting or that the supply is not supplying. I can't hear the 24v change over relay thumping.

Chris

I think Carls 80 is a petrol Chris, 12v only?

Ahh, well in that case, it still sounds like the solenoid, solenoiding but the contacts not contacting. The way that they wear means that the metal under the centre contact disc disappears over time. So the plunger works perfectly but simply doesn't hit anything.

Chris

I agree with Chris that it sounds like the solenoid is energizing but either the contacts are knackered or there's no main power to the solenoid or there's something wrong with the power wire from the solenoid to the motor. Use a multimeter or voltage tester / light bulb to check there is power at the solenoid on the big thick wire that goes to it from the battery, it will always be powered, no need to click the solenoid. If there's no power then check the cable and battery connection. If there is power then it's probably the solenoid contacts (could be the solenoid to motor wire but at this point best to fetch the starter off and check it out on the bench).

Yes, forgot the wire from the main plunger contacts to the motor. It's a long shot, but part of the system. Usually you do get some sort of warning of this. Usually poor or hit and miss starting. Then nothing. My new starter has been a bit hit and miss recently and I am wondering if it's actually the 'low tension' connection to the solenoid - perhaps in the connector plug. It has been on and off a dozen times in the last two years plus a solenoid fire of course at Frickley.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks guys ...

it did finally start .. ..and i've stopped and re-started several times ... each time it started on the first flick of the key.

still leaves me with a dilema of wether it's worth hanging on to replace the starter motor or not

No need to replace it, just take it apart and see if it needs new contacts.

Chris

where's the best place to get the bits from ... am thinking it would help if the contacts are replaced anyway

You might be able to get some from a decent motor spares place but otherwise it's main dealer job.

Last edited:
The factory fitted 1990's Toyota alarms & immobilizers were never fitted at the factory, at the docks yes, many of them were fairly heath robinson too.

I have also moved many an after-market immobilizer that was fitted by a approved fitter that was so badly done a 10 year old could have done better.

Last edited:
That sounds very much like the noise my 95 made when the starter contacts gave up the ghost.

Although this didn't happen overnight, it was a very gradual thing - try once and you would get the dreaded "click", try next time and it was fine. This became 2 clicks, 3 clicks and so on over weeks/months, until it took a few mins of trying before the starter would engage.

Eventually got around to changing the plunger and the contacts, and the starter is now good as new.

My starter contacts were replaced by Greg at Overland Cruisers - IIRC it took him nearly 2 hours to get the starter out and less than 15min to replace the contacts and give it a quick once-over and cleanup.

The contacts were sourced from Simon our forum friendly Toyota parts dealer, and came to about £35 IIRC.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Back