Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rack axial play

tsviatko

I started hearing loud thud coming from the front suspension recently. There is a sensible vibration in the steering wheel, too, at the time the thud occurs. So I got under the truck today to check out on the steering in general. I removed the steering rack boots and got a buddy of mine to rotate the steering wheel so that I can check out for any play.

It turns out the rack itself wobbles at the point where it enters the rack body. Here is how it looks like with the boot off:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxm2yL1MjMbfdHRJdXFKeDlTTlE/edit?usp=sharing

So, now I wonder:
- is it safe to drive the truck like this?
- how come that happened at all? What is supposed to hold the rack in place?

there is a rack preload adjuster that is used to take up slack in the rack

it is on drivers side of rack and faces towards rear

large lockring and then on my yr 2000 there is a 24mm socket (i welded two 24mm nuts together)

what age is your 90-series as before yr2000 the preload adjuster used a roller-bearing and these are known to wear out
post-2000 they use a smooth bearing

but that looks like a lot of movement, maybe another bearing in the vertical column is also worn

documented on 4runner sites

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/70884-how-replace-steering-rack-guide-pictures.html

Last edited:
Please excuse my likely ignorance, but isn't the pre load adjuster to take up play between the rack and the pinion?

I would have thought the "rack-end" bushes were replaceable, which would ensure less play.

Very happy to stand corrected! :whistle:

to me it looked like the rack end was off camera, so we were looking at the rack itself

Mm, possible. A little more detail required here, methinks...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I couldn't see any support bushes on toyodiy

only rings and seals

unless the they are the "rings" indicated on this screenshot

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 149
I have a recon steering rack that I can sell you if you want

The truck was made in '98 :(

I'll try replacing the adjuster. Let's see where that gets me.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep updating this post.

Alright I finally got a new adjuster and put it in.

Here comes the weird part. It did make the things noticeably better. In fact it got them so much better that I believed it solved the problem completely. Then I started testing it at somewhat higher speed and over some bumps. At that point I found out that in these conditions the play was still there. Pretty discouraging that was.

So I brought the truck back home and did a final test before leaving it. The play was gone. I tried it out the next day and the day after. No play. I did some offroading today and still no play. That really makes me happy but I cant help wondering why the play was not gone right after I installed the new adjuster.

I'm wondering what caused the play to begin with , perhaps the bar down to your rack is too tight ? . I loosed the sliding joint on mine after fitting a body lift then drove it around the block before parking on flat level ground and tightening it again . When it wasn't adjusted properly it made my steering heavier than usual .

I did exactly the same adjustment to the bar down to the rack a couple of months ago. I had to detach it 'cause of another repair and then I had to do this, too. So, that should not have been a problem.

The old adjuster was definitely worn out. With the old adjuster it took 9 full turns of the cap to compress the spring completely. With the new adjuster it took only 5.

Still I can't figure out why there was still play after I put the new adjuster in and how did this play go away...

I can't really help as i'm only starting to learn about this stuff myself but a few days ago i suspected serious faults with my steering as out of nowhere my truck suddenly became very vague to steer , turning 90 degrees at a halt sign required me to turn the steering wheel i full 360 ! . I searched everywhere trying to rattle everything looking for loose play but could find nothing that appeared faulty . Only then did i check my fluid level and realized it was low . I would have expected this to result in heavy steering but it didn't the steering just became vague . Just thought i would mention this as it might prompt suggestions from someone with more knowledge .

Back