Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheap and Cheaper CV's - Breakage picture

898kor

Not sure if this is any use but just FYI, the picture shows the breaking of two CV's yesterday (one done being stupid and knowing it might break, the other done with the locker in after the first broke and giving it beans - being stupid again!).

The one on the left is a Milner HDK £80 ish effort and the one on the right is a Sumo £40 tinternet special. The HDK broke on a mild end of being stupid, the Sumo broke when working on its own with big power on some rock steps. 20131229_173953 (Medium).jpg

Whilst not ideal, the breaks did make for quite a clean swop out - managed to drive home about 30 miles in rear wheel drive and no real drama or binding/grinding in the hubs / flanges.

I've had one go in exactly the same way. I didn't even know until I unlocked the CD and lost all drive. If they're going to break than that's not a bad place. But my Milner HDK one failed at the other end in quite catastrophic a way. Not good.

I've done 5 cv's now, Im going to put the longfields in along with drive flanges - if the R&P breaks so be it - bored of the CV game now but keeping the 37's!!

How have you found your diff lasting on yours with the longs fitted?

Diffs? Ahh well. There's another whole thread. I have Longfields in now but when I had the HDK CV fail under very soft roading conditions, I also chipped a tooth off my front ring. But that looked looked a failure to me. These were Nitro Gear R&Ps so should not have failed. But, I have regeared my diffs the 4.56 so I shouldn't be stressing the bits with my 37's on. I am guessing that you are still on the standard ratios. You can go to 4.88 but the considered wisdom at the time was that 4.56 was the way to go. So effectively so far with this set up I have not had any further failures. But when we get some nice weather, I shall be pulling the axles for a service and a look. Drowning them in gritty water is not good for them even with breathers working. I'd say that off road you'd not get them hot enough for breathers to be a factor really and I haven't suffered with water getting into the diff. But the hubs? Euch!

I need a couple of cv's for mine, where did you get the tinternet Sumos from?

I've had one go in exactly the same way. I didn't even know until I unlocked the CD and lost all drive. If they're going to break than that's not a bad place. But my Milner HDK one failed at the other end in quite catastrophic a way. Not good.

Chris the long fields you got what was the cost?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lots.

Seem to recall in the region of £650 delivered. I can look up the invoice, probably. But that's the sort of area. The shipping is a killer

Back