Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 1KZ-TE Intercooler on a 90 .

the import 95-series prados also had an intercooler on the 1KZTE
and of course the D4D colorados 2000-2002 models

It specifically needs to be top mount Andy and if its a direct fit then all i would have to do is source the parts .

As AndyCook says a 90/95 Prado has a top mount which should in theory be a straight fit provided you order all the parts but they aren't cheap! The cheaper and more effective option would be to stick in a front mount intercooler, get an intercooler that fits, stick in the approx position and get measuring for pipework.

I've got a Discovery 2 intercooler knocking about somewhere that I plan on fitting to mine at some point.

Going down to see Charlie tomorrow at Prospeed to discuss exhaust options (3" from turbo sounds most probable) i had only just put down the phone when i noticed he also makes and fits his own intercoolers :think: its getting into daft money for something i don't actually need buuuut ........... well we will see .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is a very interesting thread - would sticking an intercooler on be effectively like upping the earlier engine into d4d territory (not sure what the performance differences are?). If so, what else apart from plumbing is needed? Do you need to do something with the fuelling etc?

The d4D engine is more powerful and more economical at the same time, so a 95 series with the d4D would be a great truck.

I have a Prado with 1kzte plus intercooler, and its a definite improvement on a non-intercooled 1kzte, but not up to d4D benchmark.

I'd say there is less to go wrong on a 1kzte, but reality is the youngest is 13yrs old now, so its a bit irrelephant.

Shayne - do it one stage at a time -exhaust first, then intercooler, then supercharger etc so you can tell if there is a progression.

Pete

Not quite. The intercooler on the Prado added a little bit, but still short of the D4D output. Even so, there's not that much difference between them.

Jonnyboy none of us feel the 90 series is underpowered , my own swb 90 often wheelspins off a junction if i accelerate to quickly . I have become curious about the power because i am convinced the engine is capable of a lot more , perhaps because squeezing a bit more power out of bikes used to be a bit of a hobby of mine , but i am the first to admit my truck doesn't need more power . You are looking for faults and room for improvement on your truck and your not even driving it yet . My advice would be to get it on the road before thinking about modifications .

Google suggests a ballpark figure of around 15bhp increase resulting from adding an intercooler .

Its certainly noticeable.

Thing is though, would a 13 year old truck, or 17 in my case, actually be putting out the workshop bhp? only way to tell is a rolling road I guess.

Pete

I would say almost certainly not Pete but as i said to Jonnyboy my truck doesn't need more power but if its got it secretly hidden in the depths somewhere why not bring it out to play :icon-biggrin:

Jonnyboy none of us feel the 90 series is underpowered , my own swb 90 often wheelspins off a junction if i accelerate to quickly . I have become curious about the power because i am convinced the engine is capable of a lot more , perhaps because squeezing a bit more power out of bikes used to be a bit of a hobby of mine , but i am the first to admit my truck doesn't need more power . You are looking for faults and room for improvement on your truck and your not even driving it yet . My advice would be to get it on the road before thinking about modifications .

Agreed, but do remember I have come from a 4.6 v8 p38 by way of two remapped Disco 2's !!!!

Google suggests a ballpark figure of around 15bhp increase resulting from adding an intercooler .
about 12% then. I suppose that the extra torque is what will make the difference, and if you plan other mods then the breathing at both ends is important....not just the exhaust?

So the breaker I got some bits off (bonnet etc) had an intercooler on the top of the engine. Not sure the year of it, but it was a 95, and defo had an intercooler cos the bonnet mat has the cutout!! Wondering if I should head back to him asap to rob bits off it?

Most probably a prado, so yes, would be a good idea.

Possibly a d4D, so take the lot !

Why is it being broken?

Pete

Possibly heading over there later on - will grab intercooler and all pipework, is there anything on the inlet or exhaust manifold I need? Worried about time to strip it all/hassle to fit it etc

Well Charlie at Prospeed didn't even want to discuss an intercooler , he said with a 3" straight through exhaust direct from the turbo i won't need or want an intercooler !

Removing the restrictive dump pipe and putting a 3" pipe in its place will def allow a greater volume of hot gas out. I think you will see an improvement in performance.

But thats letting the existing volume of gas out. By fitting an intercooler you allow a greater volume of cooler gas into the engine, so can burn more fuel, which will increase the power output (by 15% previously referred to).

Being able to allow that greater volume of gas out via a 3" exhaust is even better.

I dont quite get his comment, as his improvement allows further improvements, but as to whether its necessary is down to you based on how the car feels.

If I was fitting an intercooler a larger bore exhaust would certainly be a good idea, so why would that not apply the other way round?

I'd like a 3" exhaust, would be interested in cost?

Pete

Cheers Pete i think what he was trying to say is my truck is not a racing car and low down grunt is whats important . I heard others say they feel the 90 is somewhat pushed at motorway speeds which baffles me , my truck continues to noticeably accelerate up to about 95mph . That said i think the swb 90 has an advantage over the lwb 95 given it has the same engine hauling considerably less weight . As to price there won't be much change from 500 quid but hey its guaranteed for life and Charlie seeing my truck is set for off road was keen to route the exhaust where it is very unlikely to get damaged .

Last edited:
Back