Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12valve dash lights and an exhaust problen

woolly

Got 2 things going on ------

When you turn the ign key to start the car, the engine fires, but the dash lights don't go out. If I cut the engine and restart, then rev the engine to 1500 revs or so, the lights go out and all is well.
Alternator has been replaced last week--it was doing it before that though.
Any tips on what could be at fault here-- the car has been stood for a few weeks??

Also, the font exhaust pipe flexi-joint appears to have given up the ghost---I think it is a stainless system----has anyone got any ideas who it might be made by so I can get just that section?

Thanks guys.

I have a front flexy section for sale in the classified section ;)

Christmas tree like dash lights suggest there is an issue with the alternator, have you checked if the new one is working properly?

PS, please could you put your location in control panel, its easier to suggest places for your exhaust if we know where you are...

dash lights seem to stay on for about 10 seconds I reckon--but seemingly no ill-effects.........

I think I have a stainless exhaust system, and need to replace the front flexi section --get a new one welded into the system--or a sleeve. Does anyone know anywhere I could get this done locally---I'm in the Farnham/ Aldershot area and would appreciate the help and pointers.

Thanks

I agree its most likely to be an alternator issue. One of the symptoms with mine was the lights were sometimes lazy to go out and would stay on until I blipped the throttle up to about 2k. :thumbdown:

Mines the same--they are just lazy until the charge needle has come up or the revs rise. Is there a controller for them?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had this with mine once only. I stripped the alternator and found it was like new. Checked all the earths etc. Jon Wildsmith thought it might have been a lazy change back from 24v to 12v. I checked the change over box but found no problems. I do not know if there might be a relay as well. As I had no further probs I gave up.

Try starting the engine with the dash lights on and give the change over box a jolt with a hammer and see if they go out.

frank

frank rabbets said:
Try starting the engine with the dash lights on and give the change over box a jolt with a hammer and see if they go out.
:lol: Don't you just love the delicate approach! :lol:

I meant a SMALL hammer. If the lights go out it's been mended or brocken. My dad used to describe it as the most useful tool in the box and he was an aircraft engineer. No wonder they crash.

Young lads don't realise how horribly complicate even an 80 is. Back in the day you just had a bulb or a starter motor go. Non of these undiagnosable problems. And nobody wanted any more.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
I meant a SMALL hammer.

A friend of mine (now sadly deceased) used to work on boats, cars, DIY building and so on. He was built like a brick shed.

His toolkit was a bag with "Stenhouse School of Dancing" on the side ( :o :o ) and contained a hammer.

Q: "What you going to do if the hammer doesn't work, Bill ???"

A: "I'll get a BIGGER one !!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

frank rabbets said:
I meant a SMALL hammer.
Aaw that just too technical. Next you will be telling me you have a set of jewellers screwdrivers :roll: :lol:

Back