Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

150 series - buying questions

jbecks

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I sold my landcruiser a few years ago and I’m thinking about at returning to the marque after a deflating buying experience with a wk2 grand cherokees. I have viewed four grand cherokees, which all had engine warning lights or expensive faults! Like power steering rack leaks; all under 70k miles. Even a three year old, 40k mile grand Cherokee being sold by Jeep has an emission fault, damaged air strut and new wheel arch with parts being expercted to take a month to arrive. These were not cheap or bottom of the market either.

My knowledge on the 150 series is limited, are they prone to corrosion and rust like the 120s? Any main or common faults to look for?

Thanks

Seem to be few 150 owners on here, or maybe well heeled enough (and good luck to them) they don't need to get underneath and dirty.
As with all LC's its the same chassis and rust problems on neglected vehicles, whether the inner sills are prone to the same battering from the elements and resulting rust i don't know.

I tend to think of the 150 as basically a 120 in a new bodyshell with typically sensible conservative minded Toyota improvements along the way, and none the worse for that, if it aint broke don't fix it, kept the 3.0 litre for quite a while until the 2.8 replaced it.

Whereas the full sized Amazon LC's have been radically different vehicles to each previous model, Prados haven't in many ways changed from the superb 90 series which in its day apart from dumping the live front axle wasn't that far removed from the 70 series it eventually replaced for those looking for more comfort, continual improvement to a good basic design rather than radical change.

Now if only they'd galvanised the chassis of all Toyota 4x4's at least on export models going to places where they have a road salting fetish.

Only driven one and it was very nice. This will be the replacement for our D3 i think. Have been watching the market for a while and that one is a good price Andy. Like a 120 they do seem to suffer rust

stumog....... you'll miss the power of the D3 engine though.... the 3 litre and 2.8s are not exactly power houses....
If only Toyota had a 250 hp plus diesel to put in the 150 it would have taken a fair few Disco sales

Back