Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hd-ft engine rebuild

Fit the pyrometer either in the manifold at the entry to the turbo (preferable) or just downstream of the turbo in the outlet pipe. The EGR blanking plate may be easier but a very poor 3rd choice as far as accuracy is concerned.

i was going to put in in the egr blanking plate because i only really need a rough indication im not going to over do it with the fuel settings i probably wont even adjust the main fuel screw just the boost compinsator

Those banjo washers are a VERY clever design. The top of the injector is razor sharp and bites into the ally washer to stop it turning. The link to the top washer therefore stops the top washer from possibly turning and coming loose.

The reason you can't reuse is that the injector top is square and makes a square shaped dent in the washer and it's difficult to line it up perfectly. Overlapping of the square injector with a square dent causes a leak. I had falling oil pressure and found at least 5 litres of diesel in the sump!!. That was after a 40 mile journey. What a muppet.

Am I right in thinking that the 24v injectors lie within the rocker cover then? I can't see how mine on the 12v could deposit diesel into the sump as they are external. The setup is obviously different.

Yes the valves are set out in a square on a flat head with the injector set vertically in the middle, injecting fuel directly above the centre of the piston crown. The spill pipe is therefore inside the rocker cover and you are not aware of a leak other than not starting after it's been left for a bit and rising oil level caused by diesel going into the sump.

The 12 washers come in a set of 6 which each comprise 2 parallel washers joined by a link. valve overlap 002.JPG

Between the adjusting screws on rockers 4 and 5 you can see the banjo and the thin vertical link joining the two "washers" together.

Finally got the Christmas present fitted now I know the engine is ok

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 226
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes the valves are set out in a square on a flat head with the injector set vertically in the middle, injecting fuel directly above the centre of the piston crown. The spill pipe is therefore inside the rocker cover and you are not aware of a leak other than not starting after it's been left for a bit and rising oil level caused by diesel going into the sump.

The 12 washers come in a set of 6 which each comprise 2 parallel washers joined by a link.View attachment 23961

Between the adjusting screws on rockers 4 and 5 you can see the banjo and the thin vertical link joining the two "washers" together.

Thanks Frank, I see it all now!!

Little update I have been driving it to work for the last couple of days and it feels so much smoother when the boost kicks in it actually pushes your head back a little I am still drink Bing it like a granny and I am going to keep driving it like that for the next few hundred miles then do an oil and filter change today when I started it to drive home from work it was so quiet I had to look at the rev gauge to see if it was running. I an so tempted to take it green laneing at the weekend but I don't really want to do a lot of my motorway run yet. When I take the breather hose off there is still a little smoke and oil vapour but it is not chuffing like it was I assume this will get better as the rings seat properly can someone else check to see how much their breather blows for me

Have a look here Kev,

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55072

post 82 shows what my 12v does on a ten second 'thumb covering' of the breather. Later in the thread I do a compression test which shows 500psi give or take 20.

I'm guessing as the bottom end is as far as I'm aware identical this should be a fair comparison. Mine has 135,000 miles on it yours, well, 100 on the rings?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link starcruiser the pressure from my breather is about the same as yours but it is smokey it does day that the engine will use some oil in the run in period so I'm not going to worry about it

Sounds pretty good Kev. It will be interesting to compare it to yours when yours has fully bedded in. [emoji4] hopefully (from my point of view) it will be little different but lacking in smoke.

Just a note, I think I did my video with the engine fairly cold. If yours was quite hot, oil vapour could be being blown from the breather more than at cold?

Well done Kev, a brave but wise move to go all the way with this and £600 was a good price in the end. :thumbup:

Good news.

to be honest the motorway would be ok. I wouldn't fancy lanning with it yet tho. A lot of ticking over etc opening gates and so on woudnt be good for the engine.

I saw a photo of your truck with that bumper on yesterday on FB. Was it at the docs somewhere? Will see if I can find the photo.

Yea I work in Liverpool dock Karl so that will be mine I have put a couple of pics on Instagram, it does smoke more when warm because I blocked the breather with my thumb today at dinner time and the engine was cold and there was no smoke

dont know who took that picture though :? at least someone else thinks its looking good :dance:

I'll have to do a video of mine when warm. It may be just the same. [emoji4]

Nice looking truck BTW Kev.

Last edited:
Sure i seen that parked by a white shed/garage when i came off the ferry at Birkenhead 2 weeks ago Dell ?

no wernt me not been to Birkenhead in it yet it was in bits in my kitchen two weeks ago, how do i put videos on?

Last edited:
dont know who took that picture though :? at least someone else thinks its looking good :dance:

He actually said it looked crap that's why he posted the pic :laughing-rolling:

Only Joking mate. Hes a lorry driver. It's funny with social media,forums etc etc how lots of people know trucks etc but don't actually know the owners. He was asking Paul at Westcoast if that was one of his bumpers. My brain just logged the photo and I recognised the photo on your thread.

Hopefully now you can start to enjoy the truck. Have you got the grin back?

Back