Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2" suspension lift

stumog

Country Flag
england
HI chaps
i am looking for a 2" lift for my 80.
i have asked about a price from footloose 4x4 for a OME lift which was way to expensive for my idea of 4 springs and shocks.
has any body fitted the peddlers set whats it like?
where can you get OME stuff at a resonable price.
do you need to do the camber adjustment with a 2" lift of can you just leave as std.
i also read somewhere that a pre91 80 has a longer std spring than a post 91 has any body found out once they purchased a 2" kit it only lifted it 1" ?
i am only going to fit 255/85 tyre so dont need massive lift. will be doing wich and some other mods in later so want to get a set up that will allow this.

thanks guys.

Hi Stumog. Well on 33" rubber you don't need a lift at all. But I don't think that's quite what you meant. You won't need castor (not camber) adjustment on a 2" lift.
Once of a day I might have suggested Iron Man. But I shall refrain based on their shocking product finish and the simple fact that people who sell the stuff don't seem to give a damn about it. But if you can live with that, I think the B set up is very nice on an everyday 80 and gives 2".

Give the Pedders a go and let us all know what it's like!!

Chris

so why has nobody taken the plunge with the pedlers do you think.
i see what you meen about the camber no sorry was that meant to be castor.

Well quite honestly I think because no one has really had the opportunity yet. It's not something you buy everyday and Pedders have not long since joined us as trade members. I have a spare set of IM in the garage so I shall be sticking it on when I get my new cruiser. If I didn't I would be looking very seriously at the Pedders product.

I have seen some of the product in the flesh and I though it looked pretty manly. Have a word with them and offer to do a long term test on here. There is defintely a space for a reasonably priced product, that works well and doesn't look like 5h1t after a month.

Chris

i have tried to call them today but no answer. i was going to try my luck to see what kind of deal i could get with them.i have only driven cruisers with OME and you do get a pretty nice ride with them but at £760 i cant see how they can even ask that.

Frankly, at that price for OME, it's bordering on CHEAP! Are you sure it's as little as that? Their finish isn't much better than IM to be honest. As to the ride, I always found OME to be a hit harsh.

I am looking at having my spare IM springs blasted and re finished. I have a local coatings shop and I'm going to ask them if they have anything flexible. I do realise that any paint applied has a tough time being flexed and squished all the time. But if you make and sell springs, this is something you should have sorted out.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
it was £768.96 didnt really matter which rate you went with all around the same money.
how much is the IM stuff is that from west coast?

on a different subject have you seen an 80 with the goodwinch from bumper its really cheap at the price they are stating not woth making any thing but looks to me that its a bit close on the corners so will not offer much protection. also doesnt fit my husky so i may have to fab something.

Ok well that's interesting. I rather thought OME had rocketed. Can't help you on IM, you have to ring for prices, generally not advertised.

I am not a huge fan of the Goodwinch bumper. It's a bit like the one I made - it's a winch mount, with a bumper surround. Not sure it will fend off trees like the one from ARB, TJM or Frogs.

I will be ordering the pedders stuff for mine, had contact by pm through here with them.
Just gotta add up my final spend on extending the house and get the boss to let me have some money.

will be putting pedders kit on mine when i've got the dosh to do it.

already have 285/75/16 cooper STT's on it on stock suspension

when i spoke to peddlers the other day they said with the 2" lift they do you still only have std length shocks which i am a liitle concerned about. is this normal sorry new to landcruisers really not sure of all the details. thought i would just ask people on here is this the norm or what.

A lift kit usually includes longer shocks to increase droop as well as ride height so that seems a bit odd really that they only supply standard length ones.

the chap i spoke to even said that he idnt recamend fitting longer shocks with a only a 2" lift. also said that if you fit a 2" oever std shock then they will be working in the wrong place and could end up bottoming out all the time? which in my eyes is the wrong way around. i alway thought that if you fitted 2" lift then you do a 2" shock so that it matches you can put longer shocks on but need to have cones fitted sorry ex LR owner.

No expert here either ... but logic dictates ... well it's obvious really. Am sure the pedders guy on here can comment though?!

you'd have to check the compressed length of the replacement shock against the OEM one to know if there would be a problem with that which is usually fixed by spacing the bump stops but that's something I'd associate with much longer than +2" shocks.

I guess you don't have to buy their dampers. In an ideal world, which it's not, I guess you'd buy new springs, stick them on and then measure up to see what length shox you need. Adjusting the bumps is easy and actually something that I need to do (again) My 5" lift is pretty flexy and I am still hitting the arches at times. Droop is another issue. Typically on an 80 the limiting factor for that is a combo of the length of the damper unit plus also the Anti Roll Bars. Now, whatever lift you put on, the damper will always be the end stop on droop (other than the twist in the trailing arm bushes I guess) On a LR the droop is so much more dramatic due to that rose joint swively thing that they have. This is why their springs continually pop out.

What I am mumbling here is that it's probably quite unlikely that the dampers you get will limit the static lift of two inches, nor will they probably top out over a speed bump or during normal handling. It's only when you start really flexing up that you'll reach a limit less than your springs want. And that is common on standard set ups in any case. So you may get a little less benefit with your new set up than you'd like - IF you go off road with it. If it's a more weight carrying, over landing set up, then the damper length may well not be an issue. Just jack the body up now and measure how much extension you get from your damper before the wheel lifts. If it's 2" or less then that's no good. But if it was say 4" then that's not so bad.

Does that make any sense?

C

Hi
I used Frog Island 4x4 for my OME springs and shocks and paid £750. I used a wedge lift 3 inch and the back and 2 inch at the front, so when the truck is loaded with loads of stuff I do not use it runs level.
Very please with the OME set up both on and off the road, then again I haven't tried any others.

Mal

Pedders have said to me (via pm) can pretty much make the kit to my requirements by mixing and matching shocks/springs, need to discuss over the phone with them and see what they say.
I'm planning on calling in the morning with a view to ordering. Will post the outcome.

Called pedders this morning but the person who I've been dealing with isn't in till Monday, going to call me Monday.

In reply to the question of length of shock absorbers, we have found that you can run the lift kit with our stock length shocks without issue.

Some people just want to lift it a bit don't want the hassle of having to change the brake flexi hoses and breather pipes. Others want to fit the longer travel shock absorbers to gain every inch of axle articulation. It's fairly individual and we like to think that we try to cater for all.

You can pick and choose your suspension lift kit. Obviously the longer travel shock absorbers cost more so that will reflect in the price of the kit.

Regards

Michael @ Pedders

Back