Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2004 Lexus LX 470 — insane breakdown

Jpc2004lx470

Country Flag
united_states
Hi all! Trying to get some insight. Just had my 04 Lexus LX470 (I know it’s old, my parent’s handed it off to me) serviced at Lexus two weeks ago, no problems. I’m on the highway in Vermont, and suddenly I hear THUD THUD THUD THUD (quite loud) when I am on the accelerator. I thought my wheel was falling off lol. I slowed down and it started making this horrible noise, so I immediately pulled over. When it is in drive or reverse it is making this terrible grinding noise. When I press the accelerator it is loud and horrifying, screeching. Also, it won’t move. It also makes a bad noise when I put it back into park. Additionally, park doesn’t work... I’m currently using my handbrake to keep the car in place while waiting for the tow truck. I’m so confused. 125k miles. Was scheduled for a new timing belt in January...could that be it? Any ideas? I’m praying it’s not shot. So random though, definitely going to have a word with my service department...

Hi, before you talk to your service department, have a check round yourself and try and find anything amiss. Check the level of your transmission fluid and note the colour and smell. It should (almost certainly) be a nice red with no trace of any other colour and should not smell burned. Level is a bit tricky but there are two levels on the dip stick ‘cold’ and ‘hot’. Hot is best after a run to get it up to temp after cycling through all gears but you don’t have the luxury of being able to do that so check the level on the cold mark. Have a look under the vehicle for any leaks of thin reddish fluid around the gear shift area. Check the drain plug is in the gearbox. It will be obviously covered on the underside in ATF if not.

The good news is its most definitely not your timing belt, though do check that the adjuster was also replaced at the same time.

My first thought is that the torque converter on some models had a bushing that went bad. It’s a known issue between certain dates. I’ve no idea if your symptoms point to this but it’s also curious that it’s started after having it serviced. Was everything done correctly?

There’s guys on here with far more knowledge on this than me. Have a search for torque converter and see what comes up.

Welcome aboard by the way. Hope you get it sorted. My view would be to have it checked over by someone that knows these trucks before going back to your service department just to make sure everything is as it should be.

Good luck with it.

Ps, it’s not old for a cruiser. It’s just starting out in life. These things go on for 3-4 times what yours has done if looked after properly. You’ve come to the right place to do that.

Thanks! I know! It was my mother’s growing up and it’s still an absolute beauty. It’s supposed to be a lifer, but in the last three years my dad has put 8k into it for me (I’m a student). Alternator, fuel pump, height control, sunroof gasket(water leak), wheel bearings, axle issue, sway bar(?), VSC issue(s), power steering issues...overheating problem/secondary fan failure... and now this... all in 15k miles! I’d say it’s a pretty horrific midlife crisis lol. Also it was a thorough service... 4 hours... smh. I had it done in New Hampshire though and it’s only been worked on in Boston and New York... I have a feeling the dealer was just crap. I’ll hear back tomorrow, I had it towed to a legit ‘yota dude who is checking it out in the AM. (I’m in Vermont right now and NH was the closest dealer.) Thanks for your input! I hate the look of the newer Land Cruisers and I would hate to have to upgrade. If the damage is worse because I drove it to the point of destruction I am going to spend the entirety of my winter break harassing that dealership until they give me some sort of compensation for their negligence lmao. Maybe I’ll get a free detail or something.

Did all those bills come from a dealership? Sounds excessive to me at that mileage unless there’s some reason for it.

2004? It’s barely a teenager in Land Cruiser years... :lol:

Welcome aboard JPC, hoping you get to the bottom of your THUD, THUD, THUD and the screeching...

Could this by any chance be sheared bolts on a front hub drive flange?

I’m thinking THUD as the shearing and screeching as the two faces rub together. It might also explain why the truck won't hold in ‘park’ because that’s relying on transmission to all wheels being in place.

JMHO....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very good point there Clive. Another thought is the Centre Diff being locked and having failed through transmission wind up. Difficult to know without looking at it.

Back