Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24v vs 12v 80 series ...

The 24v is a more refined engine and has more potential, but is more complicated, the 24v has more power in the higher RPM range, the 12v has more power at lower revs and more simple (no emission stuff and ECU), injectors are easier to get at and cheaper, ...
both are very good.

The 1HD-FT was the bases for the later 1HD-FTE with inlet manifold, fuel pump, bigger turbo, intercooler plus a ECu brain amougst other changes producing the same economy plus around 40bhp more with more torque. In my view having seen them here a far superior engine.

Big end bearings
Thank you very much for the quick response.
What are the signs that appear when those need to be changed? I'm asking this because I recently bought one with 300,000 miles on board that produces a ticking noise at idle speed. May these bearings be at fault?

What are the signs that appear when those need to be changed? I'm asking this because I recently bought one with 300,000 miles on board that produces a ticking noise at idle speed. May these bearings be at fault?
Beyond my knowledge I'm afraid. I think it's generally advised that if you have no proof of them being changed in the past it's best to do them as soon as possible though.

I have to admit that for me the tie breaker and reason I went with a 24 valve was that there are no glow plugs on the 24 valve, yes it does have a air heater which I removed on mine.
But ever since I had a direct injection Isuzu KB 250D which was so much easier to start than the previous model 2.2 it was almost a no brainer for me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have to admit that for me the tie breaker and reason I went with a 24 valve was that there are no glow plugs on the 24 valve, yes it does have a air heater which I removed on mine.
But ever since I had a direct injection Isuzu KB 250D which was so much easier to start than the previous model 2.2 it was almost a no brainer for me.
Not sure I follow Julian? The 1Hd-t starts on half a turn of the key at any temperature down to -10 (maybe more, I haven’t experienced anything lower) as it is direct injection with added glow plugs which is belt and braces.

The BEBs won't be making a ticking noise. You won't hear a noise from them really until it's too late. You'll hear a loud knocking noise and before you've time to pull over there will be a bang, you'll come to a halt and there'll be 10 litres of black oil running down the road.

There's really no way to know they've been done unless there is some evidence such as a receipt or a note somewhere. You might say that if it's done 300k without failing then it's probably going to be fine. But you simply don't know. If you do one day hear a loud knocking then please park up, switch it off and call for a recovery truck. Don't let them run it up for a listen!

I'd say that out of all the 12vs that I have done or seen done, roughly 80% needed this doing. There's only been a few that had either clearly been done or were perfectly fine.

Reactions: M F
Not sure I follow Julian? The 1Hd-t starts on half a turn of the key at any temperature down to -10 (maybe more, I haven’t experienced anything lower) as it is direct injection with added glow plugs which is belt and braces.

Granted I have had no experience with the 1HD-T just the 1HD-FT which started no problems in the dead of a Hungarian winter, February 2015 down to -18 one morning, and I was basing my decision on experience with Isuzu engines, I failed to mention I have also had a lot of time driving the 2H fitted to the 40 series in South Africa and that engine could be a right bastard to start on Highvelt winter morning.

Diesels fitted with glow plugs are indirect injection engines with a precombustion chamber in the head where the fuel is sprayed to be heated by the glow plug to aid combustion.
Direct injection diesels do not have a precombustion chamber and spray the fuel directly in to the space available between the top of the piston and the cylinder head.
Very loosely put.

I have always preferred direct injection diesels as they do not have any of the starting difficulties that can be common with glow plug faults.

Diesels fitted with glow plugs are indirect injection engines with a precombustion chamber in the head where the fuel is sprayed to be heated by the glow plug to aid combustion.
Direct injection diesels do not have a precombustion chamber and spray the fuel directly in to the space available between the top of the piston and the cylinder head.
Not all diesels with glow plugs are indirect injection. My point was that the 1HD-T is a direct injection engine. It has glow plugs fitted also and has no pre combustion chambers in the head. Hence my comment that it was belt and braces.

Not all diesels with glow plugs are indirect injection. My point was that the 1HD-T is a direct injection engine. It has glow plugs fitted also and has no pre combustion chambers in the head. Hence my comment that it was belt and braces.

I appreciate that, I am biased, I prefer not to have glow plugs due to personal experience.
I don't like them, I think they are unnecessary.
And as additional information I served an apprenticeship on heavy duty diesels working on L and V series Mercedes trucks and plant engines in the late 80's to early 90's in South Africa and Botswana.
:)

I appreciate that, I am biased, I prefer not to have glow plugs due to personal experience.
I don't like them, I think they are unnecessary.
And as additional information I served an apprenticeship on heavy duty diesels working on L and V series Mercedes trucks and plant engines in the late 80's to early 90's in South Africa and Botswana.
:)

I appreciate you have your preferences. I’m simply describing the 1HD-T.

Sweet. That apprenticeship must have been an eye opener.

The ticking noise is more than likely the gas hob ignition noise that effects most 80s. No one has ever come up with a definitive answer. For what they cost and the small amount of time involved its worth changing the bebs just for piece of mind.

Reactions: M F
Agree on both BEBs and "ticking" - ours seems very particular on oil - even oil of the same grade, on changing will sometimes tick, and sometimes not - haven't established a pattern yet - but 6 years on I've given up worrying. We changed the BEBs on our 24v as a precaution - I know this typically effects 12vs, but for the cost, I figured it worthwhile.

Any signs on the 24v shells Dave? I know other people have done this as a precaution and some time back, one set did show signs.

Changed my 12v ones at 150k - perfect , 24 Valve ones at 130 K - like new .
I think more depends on regular servicing and oil/filter changes than if it's 12 or 24 valve .
Would be interested if any 12v engines with known good service records had suffered .

DSC00584.JPG

These are the only set I've ever changed. They are out of my first 80 which I'd had since 2 years old.It was a 95 12V. I changed the oil every 4.5K and used semi synth. These came out at 148k. TBH they were good enough to go back.

Personally I don't believe that changing the oil has much to do with this. I think you could change it every 100 miles and get the problem, or you could leave it until you could stand a spoon up in it and never have a problem. It seems to have been an issue with the shells themselves. It's probably more about oil composition than it is about frequency. I've done two sets on my own vehicles as well as several sets on other people's. I've only had one set come out perfect. This was after 78k miles from new
P1000673.JPG

These were around the 100 and a bit thousand from another.
IMGP4127.JPG

IMGP4128.JPG

Personally I don't believe that changing the oil has much to do with this. I think you could change it every 100 miles and get the problem, or you could leave it until you could stand a spoon up in it and never have a problem. It seems to have been an issue with the shells themselves. It's probably more about oil composition than it is about frequency. I've done two sets on my own vehicles as well as several sets on other people's. I've only had one set come out perfect. This was after 78k miles from newView attachment 151449

These were around the 100 and a bit thousand from another.
View attachment 151450

View attachment 151451

Do you think the shells got better quality as time went on Chris?

Back