Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3.0l d4d fuel consumption...is mine thirsty?

I haven't looked into 1kd egr deletion with any great interest but as i understand it boost is managed by the ecu and so there is no traditional wastegate on the turbo , instead when off boost it bleeds the pressure back through the system via the egr . If i'm right a solid blanking plate will cause overboost - check engine light - and ultimately limp mode . As always i am happy to be corrected :thumbup:

If and when i get around to doing mine i will give some thought as to how i might block the egr altogether while allowing boost pressure to escape :think: without investigating the practicality of how it would work it could be piped straight to the exhaust i suppose ?

I haven't looked into 1kd egr deletion with any great interest but as i understand it boost is managed by the ecu and so there is no traditional wastegate on the turbo , instead when off boost it bleeds the pressure back through the system via the egr . If i'm right a solid blanking plate will cause overboost - check engine light - and ultimately limp mode . As always i am happy to be corrected :thumbup:

If and when i get around to doing mine i will give some thought as to how i might block the egr altogether while allowing boost pressure to escape :think: without investigating the practicality of how it would work it could be piped straight to the exhaust i suppose ?

Shayne, had my EGR blanked, (EGR was clean) I sent a blanking plate with a hole in the middle, my Mech didn't use it.
He made up a solid plate and fitted that, he road tested it, no light, no problems.

I have been driving it to work since Monday, 135 miles so far, no issues or problems.
Will fill up on Sunday to find out if it has improved the MPG

Sounds good to me Brian i will certainly give it a go without the hole :thumbup:

I had great success blanking the egr on my old Mitsubishi, so was keen to do the same on my Colorado. However, when starting to read into it, I have a 1kd-ftv, was finding what Shayne has mentioned above about the excess turbo pressure being dumped through the egr. Things like this -

"...the boost that is trapped will back-flow back into the inter-cooler then pushed through the air filter box in order to escape. This will also put the dirty air and EGR gases across the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. This will also be recognised by the turbo sensor located on the turbo inter-cooler which will be sent to the ECU and will in-turn drop the fuel rail pressure to try and reduce the excess boost that has been trapped!
OUTCOME: Even though the car will drive "ok" it will feel doughy at the pedal and feel like you are driving in a head wind and your fuel consumption will get worse not better."

Whether or not this is exactly how it goes, there are a lot of threads repeating that the excess boost is dumped through the egr. So personally I've decided to leave mine alone.

Will be very interested to follow this thread and see how it goes for you though :)

Last edited:
Just found this on Oz ebay
s-l500.jpg
And the seller goes as far as to state "easy to remove at inspection time" .

Perhaps the Ozzie fix is leading us astray ?

I am in no hurry to do mine as it is more or less a spare car but when i do get to it one day i will be asking myself why they choose to block the egr where it re-enters the intake rather than where it exits the exhaust ?

If we could block it at the exhaust side and then link the clean air over boost into the now redundant egr system the computer would never know .

All speculation and i shouldn't discuss it until i get under the bonnet but that's not likely to happen for a long time so maybe someone else would like to take a look and see if its doable .

Brian, how many miles did your truck have when you did the EGR? If yours is clean at whatever mileage it may indicate that the EGR system is maybe a little better compared to the KZ engine. I would have thought so anyway given how much more advance and re-designed it is. EGR should actually give you more MPG's but I don't think it's enough to notice and in the KZ engine it would get to the point where it would do more harm than good - hence removing it.

I'm just questioning the fact whether it's worth blanking the EGR on those engines, especially when it doesn't look to be the easiest of jobs...just a thought anyway

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Brian, how many miles did your truck have when you did the EGR? If yours is clean at whatever mileage it may indicate that the EGR system is maybe a little better compared to the KZ engine. I would have thought so anyway given how much more advance and re-designed it is. EGR should actually give you more MPG's but I don't think it's enough to notice and in the KZ engine it would get to the point where it would do more harm than good - hence removing it.

I'm just questioning the fact whether it's worth blanking the EGR on those engines, especially when it doesn't look to be the easiest of jobs...just a thought anyway

Beau, 124k, I've not noticed any difference in the drive, the big thing will be when I tank up on sunday,
if the mpg is the same I may just take it off

Exhaust gas could be used in a fire extinguisher and it should not be going through an engine full stop .

Toyota don't design engines to break down so i'm sure they have made every effort to ensure this wholly unwanted detrimental legally enforced upon them egr legislation does as little harm as possible to their engines , but they can only limit the harm - we can stop it altogether .

Well that's a disappointment, just tanked up and ......... still doing 22 :disappointed:

These are the figures from this site, am I chasing rainbows?
Would it now be down to the realms of a Remap to increase mpg?

https://car-emissions.com/cars/view/7765

Fuel Consumption Imperial (miles per gallon)
Urban 22.10 MPG
Extra-Urban 31.40 MPG
Combined 27.20 MPG

I did a wee bit more reading and its all very confusing . How to relate "easy to remove at inspection time" to "it will take a competent mechanic 4 hours" ? and non of the authors i have found bother to state what year or model their particular d4d or 1kdft engine actually lives in :crazy:

So egr aside i wonder if your getting all you should from the turbo ?

A boost leak maybe ?

Don't know Shayne, won't be going back to the Mech for a while, will get him to check it out when it does

That 22mpg is local running (15 mile each way to work) so I'm getting what I'm supposed to get, bearing in mind I have a roof rack and the A/Ts on.

Don't know Shayne, won't be going back to the Mech for a while, will get him to check it out when it does

That 22mpg is local running (15 mile each way to work) so I'm getting what I'm supposed to get, bearing in mind I have a roof rack and the A/Ts on.

Hi Brian
I have the same year as yours but a manual. I'd say if I put A/Ts on I'd get about 24mpg.
So your 22 is comparable.

Could be just where you drive Brian mpg won't be at its best if you have covered half the journey before getting up to heat .

The 3l d4d on the 120 lc5 auto runs 30mpg+ on the longer drives we do.

This is what I could consistently get, lightly loaded, just 2 of us.
Most of our long distance trips, on tarmac, would give us between 29 and 33.
This is almost exclusively on cruise control, set to speedo 55, genuine 55 , as I had slightly larger BFG AT pumped up to 38 to 40 psi.

Gra.

Would love to see high 20's in my cruiser again. I remember my dad telling me initially when he bought it he would easily get 500+ miles from a tank (KZ). Now it's only 400. I've always wanted to see how well I can do going 55mph but on the motorways it can sometimes be a little dangerous going that slow, no offence. Most of my long distance cruising is usually 75-80.

I've always wanted to see how well I can do going 55mph but on the motorways it can sometimes be a little dangerous going that slow, .

I was wondering if he was doing it reverse gear as well Beau , that might be fun :lol:

I've just had a monster 28mpg out of the last fill!
My rear calliper is no longer binding. I've also slowed down a bit. Do 50/55 on the A roads instead of 55/60.

Long may it last...

Bert are you also manual transmission? I have auto so guess it's about right. I just expected around 27/28. As long as it seems normal then that's fine. I didn't buy it for cheap motoring!
Mine's an auto, but my route to work is 33 miles each way on the A27 so it's a fairly straight run. However, I don't often let her out the stable just for a work run.

I have stopped calculating my mpg. I justvdrive an enjoy it. It's possible now I got cruise control it will improve. Interesting about egr though. I have come close a couple of times to blocking it.

Back