Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3.0ltr Clutch pedal issue

spackrackman

Its been a while since posting because my 70 has been so damn reliable... I bought it cheap, did an "amazing welding job" on all the arches, new head and alu rad and its awesome, its quick, it managed to pull 4 tons of stone 6 times 5 miles each journey last week and it is just old enough to have a bit of character like my 40's.. But

yep, the last few days the clutch pedal seems to creep down and when I go to use it, its already half way down and not managing to separate the plates quite enough, a quick lift with my foot and its fine.. Is it as simple as the seals in the master cylinder? What I dont get is you can actually see it being sucked down to the floor, but its not power assisted so I assume its the spring mech that goes with the peddle..

Advice please?

its not loosing any fluid so thats what makes me think it must be oil squeezing past the seals in the cylinder.

Cheers all
Jonnie

Try bleeding the clutch for air before deciding on new seals .

no one? nothing? ah well

Sorry, no specific experience on your model.

It may be that there's a return spring in the master cylinder (I've come across them on other cars before now) and in any event it may be worth getting a full seal replacement kit that would include a new spring (if there is one).
That's all I can suggest unless the return spring is external. Maybe a spiral spring on the pivot or a simple zebedee job from the pedal arm to a fixed point. It's worth a look.

Sorry not to be more helpful.:?

Thanks, sorry, I was being a little wank.. I think a seal kit will be my first port of call!

Thanks

Thanks, sorry, I was being a little wank.. I think a seal kit will be my first port of call!

Thanks

That's what I would try first. The truck sounds cool, any chance of some photos?

I put a tonne of rockery stone in my 80 once and drove it 450 km across Romania! Stupid really, it drank the juice, but although heavily loaded the OME suspension was great. I still had travel, so it wasn't on the stops and it drove true.

Great truck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a balance spring on the clutch pedal to take some of the load when you hoof down on it. If there's a leak in the hydraulics the spring will depress the pedal without your help. When this happened to me I put new seals in the master cylinder, but a week later it happened again. In the end I changed the master and when my mate (the old mechanic) looked at the old one there was a tiny amount of scoring in the bore. My advice would be to save yourself heartache and replace the whole hydraulic system. I did, and it was easy but a bit expensive.

same thing happened my kzj 70 the other day lucky enough it was just the slave cylinder seals,wil have them tuesday wil pop them in at work

I looked in my shed and found an entire assembly from the vehicle that Ben cut the roof off, I knew it was worth saving all the bits. 10 mins to replace the master cylinder and all is now well again.

Back