Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3 point conversion for middle row centre lap belt?

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
I've been searching in vain for a 3 point conversion for the middle row centre lap belt.

With 3 kids, 12, 10 and 5, the youngest travels in the middle in a Britax child seat secured (correctly) by the lap belt. However he will soon outgrow it and all the alternatives I've been looking at require a 3 point belt to secure them correctly.

I was wondering if anyone has done or know of a 3-point conversion?

I've googled it but there doesn't seem to be anything on the interweb. If I can find a suitable alternative ...and constantly using the rear row of seats isn't an option, it looks like the 95 may have to go! :thumbdown: :roll: :cry:

On the bright side I might convince SWMBO that we need a 120 or 100 even!! ;) though the reality is more like a medium sized MPV ala Verso/Touran/Zafira... :|

In all of your searching have you come across converting the middle seat on an 80?

With 1 seat removed and four kids, I'd prefer to see the middle seat be a three point belt too...

sae70 said:
I know that weve discussed this previously viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11930 :|
Just a thought, do the newer D4 90's not have them either :?:

Justin_Elliott said:
In all of your searching have you come across converting the middle seat on an 80?

With 1 seat removed and four kids, I'd prefer to see the middle seat be a three point belt too...

No, none of the 80 or 90 series Landcruisers seem to have 3 point belts for the middle (or rear) centre seat. Only the 100 and the 120 onwards seem to have them. The "facelift" 90s (i.e 2000MY onwards) do have a 60/40 split middle bench though, as opposed to the 1 piece unit of the original 90s but keep the lap belt for the centre passenger.

OK, now not read this through, but what about this http://www.ezonpro.com/products/schoolB ... ness.shtml it's called CamHarness™ and is designed for School Buses :)

edit; just been back for a look and it's not at all bad looking :think: It uses the existing lap belt for strength and you'd probably get away without a booster seat :)

:think: Looks good... although I can't see the kids being happy with a four / six point harness on a long journey - especially without an inertia reel... but in principal, its along the right lines.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Justin_Elliott said:
:think: Looks good... although I can't see the kids being happy with a four / six point harness on a long journey - especially without an inertia reel... but in principal, its along the right lines.
Maybe :think: But surely better than the alterative, MPV / German family estate :hand: Also if you sell it to to child in the right way, maybe as a Roary racing harness :D Failing this Haribos tend to work well :D :D ;)

Here's another option http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyV ... ness.shtml same firm different product :)

Now that's what I need.... :thumbup:

Now where can you put the additional 7/16" bolt!?

I swear I've seen the E-Z-ON trademark somewhere else though :?: :think: :lol:

Thanks for those links - I'll certainly look into them. :thumbup:

*UPDATE*

Just tracked down a guy in our office who owns a facelift (D4D) Collie and he seems to think that he has a 3 point belt for the middle passenger. Unfortunately it is not his daily driver, so I/we can't check immediatly.

What I might do is try and track down a facelift version in a car park and have a nosey round........... ;)

If that is the case, then it opens up a whole new range of possibilities. :)

I haven't heard from my colleague (not on-site today) but I've searched out a couple of post 2001MY models and they all seem to have only a lapbelt, same as mine. :thumbdown:

So it looks like a conversion will be required.....or even more drastic measures... :?

I had a look on ToyoDiy across all of the 2002 models for the Collie & Prado and they all only list lap belts :| :)

Well as I mentioned on another thread I found these guys http://www.seatbeltservice.co.uk via google, had a chat and was quoted £179.90 +VAT for the middle row lap belt to be converted to a full retractable 3 point belt.

The conversion was fitted this morning in around 2 hours and I am very pleased with the results. I know £216 isn't exactly cheap for a extra piece of belt.....but it is cheaper than changing cars! :thumbup:

I know that most of you are familiar with the middle row seat of a '95 but here's a couple of "before" pics anyway

Landcruiserseatbelt012.jpg

Landcruiserseatbelt008.jpg

SeatbeltService only offer a mobile fitting service and their guy came round in a little Suzuki mini-van all kitted out with everything they might need in it. He spent a little while thinking about where to mount and anchor the belt and discussing the options with me, as I didn't want to lose the flexibility of the foldable seat. In the end we went with the belt mechanism mounted to rear of the seat. It may be a pain for a 3rd row passenger's feet but they are few and far between and I thought a worthwhile compromise.

Seat underside removed and seat belt anchors exposed;
Landcruiserseatbelt015.jpg

New bracket for seat belt mechanism fitted;
Landcruiserseatbelt017.jpg

Fully fitted and seat all put back together, the black belt is just a retainer to keep actual seat belt (grey) in place;
Landcruiserseatbelt019.jpg

View from rear;
Landcruiserseatbelt024.jpg

Seat still folds away like normal;
Landcruiserseatbelt025.jpg

The "box" actually looks much larger in the pics than in real life and is quite unobtrusive.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the results and would be happy to recommend SeatBeltService to the forum. :thumbup:

(P.S. I have no relationship with them other than being a happy customer).

Looking good :thumbup:

Ive got the split 60/40 middle row in my l/c so i would have to look to see if ive got the same mounting points.

can you fit them yourself or do they only supply and fit :?:

Joe

They supply and fit - not sure they just supply. I wanted a fitted conversion so these guys were ideal for me.

Even if you don't use them, it should hopefully give you a good idea of what's possible ..... :)

That is pretty nifty.

I'm sure if the guys offer the service then they must (one hopes) know what they doing in terms of safety and strength. You can't just secure it anywhere that'll break when you most need it.

Not sure about the 90 but the 3rd row of seats is pointless to anyone who has legs. Doubt the introduction of a black box will be that much of a difference...

Crispin said:
Not sure about the 90 but the 3rd row of seats is pointless to anyone who has legs. Doubt the introduction of a black box will be that much of a difference...

Yes, unfortunately there wasn't enough clearance under the seat to mount the box, so it had to be on the outer lower edge.

Back