Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

403,000 mile LC 80, 1997 and it's Blue :)

if it drove right on a test drive then what it says on the odometer is irrelevant really and it's pretty easy to asses the condition of the expensive bits on a manual 80.

400,000 on a Land Cruiser wouldn't give me sleepless nights.
100,000 on a Fiesta, (for example) would give concern.

400,000 sitting on a motorway at 60 ish is about the best sort of miles one could ever hope for.
I really think Andrew is trying to convince himself that the 400,000 miles would have every thing falling about in pieces.
When I feel that there may be some work required, but I believe it would be a damn reliable truck any way.

High milers on a Land Cruiser, , , , , wouldn't worry me much at all.

After all, mine is coming up to 260,000 miles, and I believe it still as reliable as the day it left the factory.
There is some thing about high mileage, when looked after.

Gra.

100,000 on a Fiesta, (for example) would give concern.

Mate of mine has a 1995 1.8D Fiesta as a commuting workhorse. Had a little work to keep the tinworm at bay, but otherwise going strong if now a little tired. Just about to hit 300k. :eusa-shhh:

I don't think it would bother me that much, I've had Toyota diesel cars of that era with over 300k miles on them. Still started first turn, did 90+ if required and towed all day. I've a 97 Carina TD at the moment, 217000 on it and aside from the gearbox synchro being shot, with a new set of shocks and springs it would drive like new.

I've yet to kill a Toyota diesel car on road and off road, the non mechanical parts just start to fall apart and it becomes uneconomical to fix them, so I send them for export.

Still, I'd prefer a lower mileage one that was clean than a high mileage one that was clean.........:think:

Guys for clarity, I am not trying to convince myself. I personally would not touch a vehicle with anything like that mileage.

My point which seems lost, is that at 400k and 20 years old you will be battling with all sorts of 80 weak spots, like front axle problems, oils seals that leak like a landy, electric problems, switches that short out and fall off, crankshaft bearings that have run, body and structural corrosion, knackered seats, all compounded with a history of cheap Chinese after market parts,etc.etc.

I just think that a moment of caution and a good think through would be beneficial, there are much better vehicles available you can spend your money on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew.
I see you are in Scotland, as is the car in question......
Perhaps, seeing as you have such strong views on the apparent terrible state this car is in, you should view it ignoring the mileage and report back? Out of balance's sake?
What I will say Is this:
It doesn't say much in the advert about recent repairs or history, but as an example it does say it was serviced every six weeks up to 2005, it may have covered the majority of it's mileage up to that point.
It does have a full MOT, which, as long as it's not a "creative" one, would preclude anything immediate and serious.
I personally ran a Mercedes for about three years. The history of the car was known from the day it was road registered. It had, at the time I did a 3 week honeymoon trip across Europe, covered about quarter of a million miles in around twelve years. I didn't hesitate to take it for a second, it had been on the M1 most of it's life. Every year it went for test it was always remarked upon how good it was and how well it was cared for, and it put many "low mileage garage queens" to shame.
After it moved through the ranks it continued to be well used until my brother in law wrote it off - slid in snow into the ladder bar at the rear of a lorry. The insurance company paid out absolute top dollar on it due to its condition and increasing rarity, indeed the motor engineer/inspector was visibly distressed to have to sign it's death warrant. This was before the days of cat b/c/d and the likes.
I know it got repaired and re-tested because I missed it myself by about ten minutes, frustratingly. Not sure if the tin worm has got to it now, but if it's still around it's bound to have starship enterprise mileage on it. And this was a fairly basic model saloon car with the smallest engine available, not a big lazy torquey diesel.........

:think: 14 bids, sold for £4700 now seller has relisted it, now there's been 15 bids and up to £3700 what's going on? is this a case of shill bidding?

That's what both Karl and I thought Chas.
Then again, the bidding activity on both my 95's has been strange, to say the least.
I don't possess a shilling, never mind a shill-bidder :lol:

Last edited:
I know the lad who bid it up last time chas as he was wanting to buy it. Then he messed about so I made the guy selling an offer. It then started bidding off at my genuine offer.

I wouldnt buy a vehicle at that mileage, even a "mighty" 80 series
Loads of parts and fittings will be worn

Even tonight driving home in my new Hilux, i cant believe the improvement in it over a 13yr old, and relatively low 115k miles 95-series

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldnt buy a vehicle at that mileage, even a "mighty" 80 series
Loads of parts and fittings will be worn

Even tonight driving home in my new Hilux, i cant believe the improvement in it over a 13yr old, and relatively low 115k miles 95-series

Snob :lol: when do the mods start Andy i bet you've been stockpiling them for a few months now .

I'm sure the Hilux is nice but you're comparing it with a modified vehicle, more weight, uprated suspension and different tyres? Makes a big difference you don't notice so much when you change the truck bit by bit not to mention I bet it cost a lot more than your 13 year old is worth so yes it should be better you'd hope :icon-wink:

You can't buy a new 80, so if an 80 is what someone wanted then comparing a 200k 80 to a 400k 80 what really matters is condition not what the ODO says, the ODO is just a hint imo nothing more and may be a red herring.

OT but the vehicle that seems to have the best features / spec etc for your intended use is not always the one that will give you the most enjoyment from using it.

Back