Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear winch bumper build

Flappy wheel on a grinder will heat it enough to break the seal when you smack it with a hammer

Pry bar either side and whack it with a hammer
20210518_123043.jpg

I guess zero is still a standard.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Genuine question, if it runs on the top and bottom bearings why does the shaft (oo er Mrs) need fine sanding to clean it up? Can you not just clean it up with a flap disc?

And yes, it must have been the top bearing that was keeping it happy as it didn't give any clues of what was inside till it went a little harder to open about a month ago.

I'd put it back together with red rubber grease because i'm inclined to think its waterproof ?

Just use bearing grease Nick. It's a bearing and it needs greasing, hence bearing grease. Why clean it? So all that shite doesn't drop into the grease and the brand new bearing.

It's a hinge its not carrying 3 ton 100,000 miles at a few thousand rpm it needs to stay lubricated dry thats all .

Just needs normal grease. But regularly. The answer isn't to use a grease meant for rubber in order to cure the problem. The answer it to grease it but more periodically than every 9 years!!!!

Lol wrong angle on consistency/viscosity cv grease is like margarine and red rubber grease butter , unaffected by water it would take a long time to break down and weep out . Once bitten twice shy though so i'd guess you will remember to put the grease gun to it periodically in future :icon-wink:

Currently waiting for an oil seal to show up. Emery cloth did turn up today though :)
20210519_153959.jpg

I think I'll use normal grease for the bearings... I'll save the 3 in 1 for the doors at home and the red rubber grease for the brakes as thats what it's for.

Back