Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear winch bumper build

I was informed by 4x4 R-Us who made my rear bumper/wheel carrier, if you only have one rear fog light, it HAS to be on the off-side. my carrier is on the opposite side to yours and only obscures the n/side fog so it's not a problem.

As Chas rightly says, you need an off side fog light, legally.

you could always put a red bulb where the off side reverse light usually sits and wire that up as your fog light. :thumbup:

Interesting. Some vehicles have a central one. I take the point about it being the off side not nearside. I need to see some official doc on vehicle lighting before I do anything drastic.

Chris

Damn, that's not entirely good news. On centre line or off side. I shall have to work on that one. I could mount one on the arm perhaps. Or build one into the bumper itself.

Chris

Chris said:
Ahh you had me worried there mate! Of course I did a rear bumper for a Colorado if you remember and that had low lights in there. So much easier in an 80! No fancy plastic.

Had to work out the dimensions so that I can get the 37's on there without blocking the lights.

Chris

Sorry Chris did not mean to worry you :D

Like i said its looking lovely and i cant wait to see it on the bog gobbling 37's :thumbup:

Joe

Mine's partially obscured by the spare ... so another one's been added to the carrier:

IMG_2251.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Justin, I think you're right. But I shall put mine on the arm as the regs say it can be 1000mm max from floor. Easy enough

Chris

I probably should have said - I don't have any problem with the three working (and one obscured)... But I do/would fail if the one on the carrier isn't working...

chris ..
as always your work is perfect..amazing.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
when i ll be back from china ...i ll copy your interesting ideas.. :cool: :mrgreen:
to build mine rear bumper..

the led lights for the plate it was a tip.. :thumbup:

Here's a link to the Vehicle Lighting Regulations - 1989 for reference, specifically as it relates to rear fog lamp positioning etc...

Useful document :thumbup:

important bit:

Requirements relating to obligatory rear fog lamps and to optional rear fog lamps to the extent specified in part ii
1. Number: One
2. Position–(a) Longitudinal:At or near the rear of the vehicle(b) Lateral–(i)Where one rear fog lamp is fitted:
On the centre-line or off side of the vehicle (disregarding any sidecar forming part of a motor bicycle combination)

Isn't that what I said?

C

Unfortunately it was Gary. Nothing that can't be fixed, just the only glitch in the whole plan really. I will use a genuine 80 lamp unit and mount it in a small boxed guard on the rear quarter. I can match the other side with the air point from the compressor.

Hey ho. Still, I could have spent £1800 on a Kaymar one. Without the winch. :roll:

Chris

Well, managed not to stuff anything up today. Mind you I didn't actually do any of the jobs I'd planned.

But I did get to make a skid plate for the winch. It's taken a couple of hits under there as the departure angle on the 80 is not too good. It has also been filling up with mud which around here is basically clay and sets like concrete. So hopefully this will help. It's 6mm plate and is bolted on the underside too.

[attachment=1:27m0h572]winch skid 2.JPG[/attachment:27m0h572]

Don't you just love slots? Makes life so easy. [attachment=2:27m0h572]winch skid 3.JPG[/attachment:27m0h572]

[attachment=0:27m0h572]winch skid 1.JPG[/attachment:27m0h572]

I have no idea why the images decided to rotate themselves through 90 degrees.

Chris

:thumbup:

Are you planning to powder coat the bumper, or are you going to leave it au naturale ?

P.S > does the whole family have personalised "M16 XXJ" number plates? :cool:

Yes the outer bumper will be coated, but not the inner cross member.

Well seeing as the kids are 11 and 16 they don't have number plates. Mind you the eldest does actually have a car. In storage. And yes, it's a Toyota.

Chris

And today's mystery fabrication is ....

OK can you guess what it is yet?

[attachment=3:2o8egobo]P1000840.JPG[/attachment:2o8egobo]

Yep, pesky legal fog light housing. Spoils the bumper a bit but there's not really many other options. And yes I have been scratching my chin for some while. It actually look fine with a tyre on there, without one it does look horrible. It's strong though :clap:

[attachment=2:2o8egobo]P1000845.JPG[/attachment:2o8egobo]

Got the hold open pin sorted

[attachment=1:2o8egobo]P1000842.JPG[/attachment:2o8egobo]

And the latch. I cannot believe how solid it is when closed. I really prefer this to all the cam lock ideas.

[attachment=0:2o8egobo]P1000844.JPG[/attachment:2o8egobo]

Pretty much finished. Busy today fetching wheels and tyres, but next week I should be able to get it coated. OK it's cost me next to nothing in simple terms but I have been on with it since Christmas!

Chris

Attachments

• P1000840.JPG
    P1000840.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 295
  • P1000845.JPG
    P1000845.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 294
  • P1000842.JPG
    P1000842.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 282
  • P1000844.JPG
    P1000844.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 292
Just a question Chris, why did you not set it back into the bumper so it will not get broken when you reverse into something ? ;)

Back