Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Dash Clock Frozen

Abehappy

Country Flag
new_zealand
My 80 Series Dash Digital Clock has frozen in 12:36 with a random O after the time which I’ve never seen before. When try to reset the time it doesn’t change at all, I’ve tried every combination of buttons with no luck. I haven’t got any fuse issues that I’m aware of, the radio, internal light ect are all functioning fine. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Attachments

• 4BBF8BB3-7641-4B5A-B790-04CB91FEFA4B.jpeg
    4BBF8BB3-7641-4B5A-B790-04CB91FEFA4B.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi yes it’s a Toyota original clock that came with my 80 series and I’ve looked at others here in NZ and they all look the same. I’ll disconnect the battery and see if that works after 15 minutes I’ll reconnect and see how it goes.

Is that a Toyota clock ? , doesn't look like the one in my 80 .
Is that a Toyota clock ? , doesn't look like the one in my 80 .
This is my 80 series 1992 I love it !! I go hunting in it and use it as a day to day. I’ll never sell it 320,000 k’s has a built in fridge heated seats VX limited 4.2 Diesel

Attachments

• C04292F2-027C-483A-8852-651EB142D157.jpeg
    C04292F2-027C-483A-8852-651EB142D157.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 18
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Solved !! Thank you Landlocked 93 it worked I disconnected both Batteries for 30 mins then reconnect and tad-daaa like magic the clock is back working. Happy new forum member !!

Mine worked OK but I wanted something different...what's new? So I have fitted a digital clock with inside and outside temperatures including ice alert.

Regards

Dave

Wish i could find a multi gauge or even just a clock to fit this rather pointless slot

1659388449743.png

Hey Dave that’s sounds like a great idea any chance you could post a photo and where you got your clock with inside and outside temp plus ice warning perfect for me.

Sure, if I don't post it up in a couple of days then give me a nudge, I am going out in a short while and might forget.

Regards

Dave

Hey Dave that’s sounds like a great idea any chance you could post a photo and where you got your clock with inside and outside temp plus ice warning perfect for me.

@Abehappy as per your request. The digit colours look different in places but that is an optical illusion, they are all even, the dashboard is out of the car at the moment as I am waiting on a second hand speedometer that is doing the rounds at the moment, problems with customs and so forth.

And in case your wondering the inside temp being show @30*C is inside the workshop and the 33*C is outside in the shade this evening.

Regards

Dave

Attachments

• Dash Clock.jpg
    Dash Clock.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 22
Kia Ora Abehappy. That's a nice one. The Jap imports are sooo good i found a wrecker in Dunedin with rear aircon piped through ducts in the B pillar. Never seen that before.

Thanks Dave that’s perfect tell me the big question is where did you get it and how much?
Thanks in advance Cheers

OK whilst it looks good even if I say so myself however, you are going to need a little patience to get it all to work properly and it may not be worth your time?
Our friends in China supply the unit and it is designed to fit on top of the dashboard, so there is the first problem, the second problem is the clock memory works from two watch batteries and they only last about three months, easy to replace if the clock is sitting on the dashboard, once installed you don't want to have to take the dashboard out when batteries need replacing, so a mode there to be done.

Next problem is the outside temperature sensor the cable is too short to be fitted anywhere where it is going to give you a correct reading.
Then of course the illumination circuit is supposed to be plugged into a cigarette lighter that only goes live when the ignition is on.
The clock also comes with a volt meter, well with the stock 80 one and I also have the National Luna dual battery monitor that shows my individual batteries state of charge (split 12 volt system), that would mean FOUR battery volt meters, so I hid the one that came with the clock.

So if you have lots of patience, and are pretty good at soldering small wires and are happy with removing small temperature sensors and you will need a hot glue gun (small), and are prepared to purchase two of the clocks at the at the same time (around 7 euros each?) let me know if you have not been put off already and I will let you know how to go about it, and could probably dig out a couple of pictures?

It's a great little project and very time consuming, but as you can see it works great.

Regards

Dave

Dave you’re far more patient than me. I’ll just use what I’ve got but I’m absolutely impressed at what you have done. It is what I wanted but I’d get my ambitions and capabilities mixed up if I had a go.

@Abehappy Yes mate, and if you look at what @Shayne has posted that is the unit I have used, you need two of them. Then get your patience hat out.

As a note they come with switchable colours, green and orange or blue and orange, if you or anyone else goes for this mod make sure you specify the colour you want, if not you get the 'default' blue and orange version, this adds to the complexity and if it arrives wrong you now have to cut out and solder in an LED in the colour you want!

Regards

Dave

Back