Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series interest

Safamark

Country Flag
uk
Hi Everyone,

My name is mark, stay in Scotland and I’ve recently started taking an interest in the 80 series land cruiser.

I joined in the hope that I can get some general advice on my quest to purchasing a decent 80 series.

Ta.

I think you may well be in the right place

Welcome Mark. There are a few pointers we need to start to help. Budget firstly and the understanding that they start at 23 /24 years old and get older. You may have to travel many times and come away disappointed ( ask Chris above), before you find something good enough. Also that it is likely ( unless you are exceptionally lucky) that the purchase of an 80 series will only be the start of your wallet emptying spending habit.
It also helps if you know what you want spec wise, petrol/diesel/manual/auto/ leather/cloth/enginetype/original/modified etc etc.
As an 80 owner/ driver of 25 years I'd say take someone who knows 80's with you who knows their peculiarities and weak points, this can save you buying a potential money pit. There are persons on here, myself included who would view a distant truck for you if it is fairly local to them.

Good luck with your search, ( BTW Scotland might not be the best place to be searching for any Cruiser due to the salt exposure but you never know).

And check out the two sticky posts in the 80 section on what to look for in a good cruiser

Hello folks,

Thanks for the informative and quick response.
I might start with what I want and then start with what I’ve seen.

What I want:

I wouldn’t mind a diesel, obv the 12v is more in my budget than the 24v. I’m not sure about petrol, the consumption and the new E10 situation. I prefer cloth interior and the Amazon green is probably my preferred colour.

What I’ve seen so far:

1.) I’ve been looking at a petrol (the better engine) ‘triple-locked’ version down south. Good clean vehicle with low 100k mileage: £10k

2.) There is also a diesel (12v) ‘triple-locked’ close to me in Scotland with 100k mileage, it’s from a reputable dealer that family friends know. £13k. The underside is a little rough with loads of grease sealant to prevent rust.

3.) Last but not least is the nicest one in Scotland also. It’s a Japanese import (April 2021), when I say it’s immaculate I mean it’s immaculate. However it’s the 1HZ engine.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had an enjoyable experience with the 1HZ engines. I know people turbo them but not sure this is the way to go.

I would like to say that I am pretty competent in fixing cars, my dad was a mechanic and I am an engineer by trade so anything that needs fixed would probably be done by myself. It’s a good learning curve.

Thanks in advance.

1hz without turbo is a real slug.
I turboed mine, was very happy with it and the next owner drove to china and back with it without any problems. But it is said that after 100k km the engine will be toast.
I drive a hdft 24v now. Very happy with it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
of that list you have there, the 1HZ would be my choice, specially if everything else around the engine and the body + chassis its strapped to are in the best condition. The 1HZ on its own will go anywhere, just never in too much of a hurry. It takes a few days to get used to it - but its a great engine. Drive it, make sure you get a feel for it, because as @Firewout said, you will be looking for the 3rd gear a lot more than you would with the 1HD.

I often drive in convoy' with 80's with their 1hdt's and while they all pull away at the traffic lights, they are never far off - and down a mile or so, everyone's doing 70 anyway, you might just be doing 200 odd rpm more than the 80's and the 100's.

fully loaded, I have towed a defender 110 across off grid tracks near Urzulei in Sardenia ( nearly 40 km ) .... a belgian couple and their mercedes mwb camber out of bog ( on top of a cliff, at that ) on Harris island ... even towed a 2.5T load ( swb patrol ), from Brno to Bratislava, in Jan 2019 - during the infamous snow dump. So if you are concerned about effort and reliability etc, dont be - more often than now, the high number LC's you find in Australia etc, are running the 1Hz. And having known lots of people and vehicles with other engines, I definitely dont think its any lesser reliable than the 1kd / vd / 1hd. And part availability has never been a problem - some things are harder to find, but never impossible, and usually in the same sort of price range as the HD's. And I dont believe there is much of a difference in fuel consumption (?). Some of the maint cycles are different - eg. Engine oil at 3.5k Miles

anyway, just my 2p worth - buy the vehicle for the quality of and the potential of the condition of the metalwork, the care its been subject to and the life you may get from it.

@GeekOKent thank you for such a great and informative response, I really appreciate it. I am going for a drive tomorrow at 10am, no doubt will come back with the verdict here.

In my heart I know that I will always miss that classic 90’s “Turbo” decal on the side but I will just have to deal with that lol. As you said take it for the full package that is being offered.

Until then…

I’m in the Highlands, if it’s any help and have a 80 champ in Caithness if there’s anything we can help with

Hi @Jake the Peg, as soon as I get mine then it would be good to catch up.

Do you guys run any meets or anything like that, with member is this forum?

Ta.

Just letting everyone know the update.

So I had a test-drive and general look over the car today and although the 1HZ engine is noticeable slow, I don’t mind it as much, and I’m sure as @GeekOKent said, I will get use to it after a couple of days.

The bodywork and everything is spot on, I honestly could not find a 50p worth of rust on this 80. The guy wants top dollar for it but I think it’s worth it. The mileage was advertised wrong (user error) at 241k instead of 140k (conversion to miles error). But as mentioned the 1HZ will double that without a twitch. Some minor paint-fade patches (can be polished) and the usual hot sun Japanese dash cracks. I’m sure I can live with this.

One very important thing for me that I need help with is a reputable dealer should anything nighrmarish happen to the engine that I can’t fix. Help with recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone!

That sounds good. It's there a maintenance record?

Also, I guess you went through the two posts from @Chris in the 80 section around what to look for? Super important you go through those things.

@GeekOKent my apologies but I’m not sure how to access that “what to look for” as mentioned. I’m brand new the forums, threads, etc. Can you point me in the right direction? I did try the search function and had a look at the 80’s section but seen there was over 3k threads lol.

@clivehorridge has a 1HZ. They are no slouch. The cruiser, or Clive.
It is likely that a JDM import will be coked up from pootling around. Mine was. A month of heavy right foot and high doses of Wynns Eco Diesel will sort that.
With the members and knowledge on this forum, you shouldn’t need anyone to assist with bad things on the engine.
If you need help, there will be someone on here to assist.

Hello folks, been busy with my day job. @GeekOKent thanks for that link btw, will have a look at it now. @Jake the Peg im in Edinburgh, will be good to catch up once I finally have one.

Me again folks, reporting back on what the cruise-ship-shopping has been like.

So I seen that Japanese HZ1 80 in Scotland but….I decided against it, something was off about the seller and I just had a strange feeling about it, the asking price was £17k (roof tent inc and custom drawers) very little paperwork and the mileage was 240k as mentioned. So I said thanks but no thanks and good luck with the sale.

The next one I’ve been in talks with a white 240k 80 VX called a ‘Snow Version’- Jap Import. Has anyone ever heard of this ‘Snow Version’? Anyway I am going to see it on Sunday, will report back.

Oh btw thanks for all the input from everyone, I appreciate it.

This is a "Snow Version" 24v auto. It has diff locks in the axles and the spare wheel underneath.

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

From what I can gather these came in both 12 and 24V versions . It should have a square sticker under the front of the bonnet saying " Snow Version". This is the only 24V version I've seen but have come across 12V versions.

I will be very interested in seeing another " Snow Version" and what its got on it compared with this one equipment wise. Take some pics at least to compare with this one if you can.

Back