Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series progress thread

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
My love for these started back in September 2013 when I drove my neighbour 250 miles one way to collect his 80 that had been modified abit. Since then I couldn't look at my "lifted" hilux surf the same any more, it had to be an 80.

Before I could get my surf sold, I found the perfect 80. It ticked all the boxes. Leather, 8 seats, 3 diff lock, in Scotland and slightly lifted already. Looking back at it, think I got a good deal as I payed £3850, struggled to find similar spec for same price since.

Never thought id buy a silver car, but its grown on my, I like the contrast.

image_zpsd1817dff.jpg

As bought, with a 2" iron man b-spec lift.

Then the modifying stick came out, and so did the wallet.

1.5" body lift
image_zpsf6fc5dd5.jpg

Shortened the low box lever so it didn't hit the body, they already have some adjustment, just take out the nut and wind it all the way in
image_zps5684978e.jpg
image_zpsc0b137ff.jpg

My love for these started back in September 2013 when I drove my neighbour 250 miles one way to collect his 80 that had been modified abit. Since then I couldn't look at my "lifted" hilux surf the same any more, it had to be an 80.

Before I could get my surf sold, I found the perfect 80. It ticked all the boxes. Leather, 8 seats, 3 diff lock, in Scotland and slightly lifted already. Looking back at it, think I got a good deal as I payed £3850, struggled to find similar spec for same price since.

Never thought id buy a silver car, but its grown on my, I like the contrast.

As bought, with a 2" iron man b-spec lift.

congratulations-008.gif
Derek, It's the only way.
respect-055.gif

Then that night I hit a deer plumb on at 60mph, deer was in half and couldn't be salvaged, I had a wee tweeked bumper, easy sorted since im a panel beater, took the corner bits off as well because they looked abit daft.

image_zpsddeaa7db.jpg

Then came the 315/75/16 maxxis bighorns. £900 delivered and worth every penny.

image_zps967ced0e.jpg
image_zps4ad821d7.jpg

Been off this week, got loads of wee jobs done.

First wanted to get rid of the wiffy interior. 20 years of being an 8 seater family car, kids and dogs ect, had made it as we call it in Scotland "a red up". Sweets, crumbs, hair bands, hair, dirt and mud you name it, even found some euros, and about £1.50 in coins.

Rented out a vax for a day, best £27 ever spent. Took all day, but well worth it.

image_zps22512789.jpg
image_zpsba66dded.jpg

And 4 buckets of this crap!
image_zps61f2dd0d.jpg

Put some sound deadening down aswell, is abit quieter.
image_zpsb0fb96d2.jpg
image_zpsf203f9c6.jpg

Nice new fluffy carpet all over, without that stale dog smell.

While the weather is good, took the chance to take the sliding side windows out as the tint was peeling from the bottom, and had more dog hair and mould down that wee gap, and pretty stiff to slide open.

image_zps61beaed1.jpg
image_zps1c06cd20.jpg

To the pros to tint them, took out the passenger door windows aswell, more crap in there.

image_zps97016716.jpg

Some of this to lube everything up (new window seals are coming in next few weeks, dead slow atm) normal grease makes dirt stick to the seals, making it worse.

image_zps231f173b.jpg

Like new, old tint film was smelly aswell, sort of acidic.

image_zps380340cd.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good work, always nice to get them all cleaned up

Love the attitude of getting stuck right in.
Looking good!

IQ

Great looking Cruiser, always liked that colour combo.
Keep posts coming.

Andy

Great truck Derek! :thumbup:

What rims are you on with the 315s, 10"? They look similar offset to mine too...

Yeah 16x10 mods either 32 or 35 offset, nice bit if poke.

Been busy lately, new window rubbers thanks to Ian Rubie on here. Oil and filter kit and new stretch bolts so I can finally fit the big end bearings that came with the truck.

image_zps5c0047b3.jpg

Good job I did them sooner rather than later.

image_zps7bf676ee.jpg
image_zpsad7166af.jpg
image_zpsc7bda033.jpg
image_zps7164cbeb.jpg

Been busy lately, new window rubbers thanks to Ian Rubie on here. Oil and filter kit and new stretch bolts so I can finally fit the big end bearings that came with the truck.

Good job I did them sooner rather than later.

image_zps7bf676ee.jpg
image_zpsad7166af.jpg
image_zpsc7bda033.jpg
image_zps7164cbeb.jpg

Ouch, they're horrible :wtf:

There wouldn't have been a later, just a "too late".

Wasn't knocking much at all, and oil pressure was ok, scary like...

Havent been doing a lot of mods lately, just stuff like this
image_zps29ebd11d.jpg

Also been doing more off roading with a few friends who own 4x4`s. Always wanted a winch and winch bumper, and when I was told about a landcruiser for sale just up the road with one fitted, I drove straight there and bought it off the truck. Also said he had a winch in the garage, result! Got both for £400, happy with that as bumpers start at £350 for small ones with no bars.

However, need to lift the bumper up 1 1/2 inch due to my body lift, with it being aluminium this well be abit of a cock!
image_zps93d62046.jpg
image_zps14648d06.jpg

Winch is a oem Toyota winch with original remote and bag, just need the battery wire and some plasma rope.
image_zps15c8d31e.jpg
image_zpsde55efa5.jpg
image_zps7f459073.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Derek :thumbup:

With plasma winch line, you may be better off by removing the roller fairlead and replacing it with a simple alloy "letterbox" (Chas told me what their proper name is, but I've forgotten). It's a post on Froggy Steve's "which winch?" thread IIRC. It will save a bit of weight and the operation is smoother. The rollers tend to seize up too if not used regularly.

Nice one Derek :thumbup:

With plasma winch line, you may be better off by removing the roller fairlead and replacing it with a simple alloy "letterbox" (Chas told me what their proper name is, but I've forgotten). It's a post on Froggy Steve's "which winch?" thread IIRC. It will save a bit of weight and the operation is smoother. The rollers tend to seize up too if not used regularly.
It's called a Hawse Clive.

Back