Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series prone to rust?

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
I read this link by Andrew St Pierre White (4x4 'expert') where he weighs up his options to buy a 4x4 in the UK.

Anyway he has this to say about the 80:

"They are all old, and to find a good one, with mileage under 100K, is a real challenge. And rust is a huge issue. Unless the owner has had a love affair with the vehicle and maintained it exceptionally well, it will likely have serious rust. And if I miss rust in a vital place, it being covered up by the seller, I could easily have myself a very bad purchase, only good for scrap. But if I get a good one - they are cheap."

I thought the opposite was true.

I've no idea who he is but every pic i've seen shows him in a hot country so its likely rust is pretty much alien to him . I believe he was in the UK recently and no doubt he seen lots of LR's without rust but he obviously doesn't know most LR's are painted with a brush and few LC owner's would commit such sacrilege on a cruiser .

Last edited:
He hasn't a bloody clue.

Plus he has some nice new overland equipped LCs ready to sell. :icon-wink:
Surely he's not interested overlanders drive old, rusty cans.

More for us then.

Show me a 15 - 20 year old car without rust. Truth is tail gates rot badly and there are some traps here and there. But then there are UK examples like those at Laughton Landcruisers, Marius' Sundance, Scott's green L plater, Lazz's in 'that' gold colour, Frank's etc that are immaculate.

But there are some horrors out there. We know that. That's why we let them be exported to places like, err, South Africa!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am very lucky to have a loughton landcruiser and there is next to nothing on it. I did look at some sheds with a fair bit of rot. Although i have seen some other LR products that are newer and have no floors in them really to speak of. why is this carpet so spongy?
Stu

which one did you prise your self from? anybody we know? what time are you taking yourself to hospital tonight? sorry for spelling fair bit to drink tonight and burning dinner as we speak.
stu

I bought his 100 series.

Chris

It's not my experience. We have harsh winters, salt on the roads for 6 months of the year and mine has 18 years and 340k kms behind it.

Admittedly there was rust behind the back wheels where water had collected in the side wells, but the drains were blocked and it had never been fitted with mud-flaps from new. The front wings, the doors, the sills, all places that gather mud and moisture are sound after all that time.

Andrew is a good story-teller and he knows his business, but from what I've seen of him, that is promoting new sales and interest in the "sport" or pastime, not getting his hands dirty on an old vehicle. Nothing against him just my opinion. I like his videos and his passion, but he's a salesman and a promotor at his business heart.

Last edited:
I read this link by Andrew St Pierre White (4x4 'expert') where he weighs up his options to buy a 4x4 in the UK.

Anyway he has this to say about the 80:

"They are all old, and to find a good one, with mileage under 100K, is a real challenge. And rust is a huge issue. Unless the owner has had a love affair with the vehicle and maintained it exceptionally well, it will likely have serious rust. And if I miss rust in a vital place, it being covered up by the seller, I could easily have myself a very bad purchase, only good for scrap. But if I get a good one - they are cheap."

I thought the opposite was true.

He will be in the UK this weekend : http://www.adventureoverlandshow.com/

We'll convice him otherwise :eusa-shhh:

Back