Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series pulling to the right under braking

Steve80

Country Flag
uk
Hi, I've got a 1997 80 series Landcruiser, it has a braking problem, it veers to the right quite hard when medium braking.
Over the last 18 months I've had all 4 callipers replaced with new, new discs and pads and all flexi hoses replaced with new.
It has ABS, the abs light comes on with ignition and goes out when running, when it veers the abs light has never illuminated to show a fault, I had all the brakes bled recently and it still does it.
Any ideas?
I thought it could be an abs sensor or pump fault but would have thought abs light would come on if so?
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks

When my troops did it was a sticking calliper piston

Thanks for the reply David, yes I thought the same, pistons were checked and they push back freely and the pads move freely aswell

You can of course pull the fuse under the bonnet to disable the ABS so that's no longer a factor. Worth looking at the rear load proportioning valve on the rear sub too. Not really likey to be that but it does need to be 100%.

Have to say it's a strange one. All components in top condition and it pulls to the right meaning something on the left is hinky. The only thing outside of the obvious is that somehow one side isn't getting the same fluid pressure as the other. Kink, blockage etc.

Hi Chris, you're thoughts are spot on, it has to be the left not getting enough braking pressure so to pull to the right.
I will have a look at the rear load valve but say for example it was stopping fluid to the rear left would that be enough to make it veer so hard to the right?
I wondered if the abs pump could maybe not be pushing even pressure to the left?

Well as I think I said, probably not the LPSV and you can disable the pump by pulling the fuse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Certainly if there are major aligment issues, but more than that, wear in things like bushes that allow the suspension to actually steer.

Yes agree about alignment etc but
a few years ago I had all trailing arms and axle bushes replaced with poly bushes.
I have used a lever bar underneath and checked for play.
The steering stays straight when driving, I've even checked the tyre pressures.
It is just like not enough pressure is going to the front left, would removing the abs fuse as Chris said eliminate this as a possibility?

Hello Steve - heavy pulling will be far more likely related to something at the front rather than the back. You’ve changed all the braking components at the front so I would agree with Chris and Shayne to check suspension bushes and steering components. Check tyre pressures too. A bad wheel bearing can cause a pull because the wheel becomes misaligned under braking but you’d probably detect a noisy bearing.
Maybe check for a damaged brake pipe somewhere between the ABS modulator and the wheels.

Hi Beastrider, yes all suspension components are good, tyre pressures good, I had the front axle seals replaced with new wheel bearings 12 months ago, I've spent a lot of money on it and keep it very well maintained.
I haven't checked the metal brake pipe from pump to flexi yet so will do that.
Thankyou

Before this gets expensive i'd bleed the brakes again , when theres air in there it doesn't want to come out and often defies logic - but it will come out eventually .

It'll be interesting to see what cures this.

My only experience of this phenomenon was on my first 80. When I replaced the pads on the front ( first replacement) I fitted some Blueprint pads. They never pulled up straight and you always had to be ready for them. After 2-3 months I junked them and fitted genuine pads ( as I have done now for the past 24 years) and never had a braking issue since.
This might not be your issue but its a suggestion.

Yes swapping the front pads left to right would be cheap and quick. Worth doing. Never heard of a duff pad before but then I only fit OEM or EBC

Check the tabs that hold the pads in are not restricted by the retaining springs. Two things can happen in that aftermarket pads sometimes do no thave the correct tab profile or you can get a build up of rubbish in there. ABS will not cause pulling unless it gets activated somehow. Most likely a camber problem causing uneven tyre wear and the truck to pull. Swap your front wheels as well. there is also the possibility of some slop in the steering box. Mine used to have a similar problem in that it would suddenly snatch at the last minute. Eventually after new brakes, tyres, bushings alignment etc etc it went away but couldnt attribute it to any one problem. worn bushings on the panhards chassis end wouldnt help either. Pulling to the right is never good - mush preferable to the left in order to avoid the oncoming traffic!

Well worth swapping the front wheels just to try. Very bad play in a front wheel bearing or other wear on the hub might cause this.

The bearings have been mentioned however, if the left bearing is loose then initial brake pressure will only be applied to the right disc.

Regards

Dave

Hi, I am going through all the suggestions this weekend, if I find the fault I will let you all know.
Thanks all for the advice its very much appreciated.

Was there a gradual start to the pulling or a sudden start? It sounds like a stuck caliper but you have said the pistons move freely, if you open the bleed valves on each front caliper and compare the fluid volume being ejected when you press the pedal you can see if there is a restriction in the piping, what condition are the flexi pipes, get someone to press the pedal and check them under pressure for bulging or distortion. As you said make a good inspection of the bushes in the suspension , check wheel rotation when jacked up. Are both sets of front pads worn evenly and discs in a similar condition?

Back