Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series rear 'bumperettes'

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well fed up with the plastic endfences on the 80 bumper continually looking loppy, I had a rummage in the workshop.

Ah hah! Some decent gauge box section, some bolts and a bit of plate later....

P1000496.jpg

I consulted the Wildsmith tables of over-engineering standards and plumped for 8mm plate for the brackets

Then 5mm wall for the box section

photo2.jpg

The main bolts are 20mm taken from GW's trailing arms!

P1000499.jpg

The bottom bolts twin with the towbar and the were two 8mm side bolts too which actually allow for adjustment and fine tuning for final position. Oh, it's all been thought through you know.

P1000500.jpg

Decent bit of welding practice

photo3.jpg

One up..

P1000502.jpg

Two up..

P1000506.jpg

Decent bit of side protection for the rear quarter. Tried bending them with a bar slid inside before I capped the ends off. Nearly burst my eyeballs. No movement at all.

P1000505.jpg

Had to finish them with some cheapo black gloss for now to proof them until I can get to the powder coaters.

P1000501.jpg

All in all pretty pleased.

Nice one Chris. I did think of making some for mine, before I went the whold hog and just made a full bumper. I am sure there is a market for them ;)

Paul

I shall be following your lead there Paul and making a rear bumper too. I figure that these won't waste, they'll probably be incorporated into the design. Bit aof a shame to mess too much with the rear bumper superstructure, it's well made. As I want to put a winch in there I'll need to go a bit deeper than yours and Gav's too. I reckon the winch will mount up above the spare wheel with the rope coming through a tube to the outer edge over the top of the spare. These bumperettes would probably modify to take a spare wheel carrier.

Chris

Cheers Carl.

I've still got the aluminium step plate off GW which I might cut up and stick on top over the holes in the chassis corners. It would be a continuous matching top then. Thought a bit of bling ally tread plate might look good on the bumperettes too. Might be a handy step when packing away the roof tent.

Chris

Looking good, Chris :thumbup:

Chris said:
Thought a bit of bling ally tread plate might look good on the bumperettes too. Might be a handy step when packing away the roof tent.
No! Not tread plate!! I don't think that'll suit it. How about using black grip tape instead? It'll give you much more grip, being black it'll blend in well, and it's even stocked in my local Halfrauds these days.

Keep up the good work, Chris.

Cheers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris look very smart, but got to ask what is 'jizer' not sure it is cruiser related.
Anything you want to share :shock:

Julian, that Jizer not Jizzer :oops: . They're as different as Gunk and Sp.. well you get the idea :lol:

It's a really good degreaser, I run it in my parts washer. Not cheap but it does work. They do it in pressurised spray cans to and that really IS good. Like a mini chemical jet wash.

OK Scott OK, no bling then. I'll perhaps get some grip tape on there instead. When I get around to it, I'll plate the tops over. They really are incredibly solid. Now if I only had a pipe bender....

Chris

Cheers Ben. Just gotta be careful not to reverse into anything now.

What? I'm saying nothing. That was not a reference to recent events. No Sir. Just saying that's all.

C

Chris said:
Cheers Ben. Just gotta be careful not to reverse into anything now.

What? I'm saying nothing. That was not a reference to recent events. No Sir. Just saying that's all.

C

:lol:

you referring to the bollard i reversed into, or the tree at Lincomb? :?

Neither. Well neither that is if I was actual referring to something. Which I wasn't. :whistle: Not even necessarily in reverse, of course. Hypothetically.

Ahh only pulling your leg Mate.

Chris

They look good Chris, you could skip making a bumper if you weren't having a fixed rear winch. What would you do if you had a pipe bender then? :)

Hah, thought that might draw you out Jon. Well I was thinking about some modest hoops on top of the side bars. Nothing huge, but something that would raise the protection but without becoming a trap when leaning against banks etc. Also handy to tie your washing line to. Probably quite a tight bend. If you had say 50mm tube and went no higher than 100 mm (to the top of the tube) with an 80 degree bend at each end. Not sure if they'd clear the body panels without leaning them out slightly. Lots of clever cutting angles there!

Chris

Back