Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series rear Gullwing Doors

Ok Chris, I'll send that all as you wish but I will need a delivery name and address if you want them sent to you.

But of course. Been touch busy today.

So today I had planned on picking up the painted gullwings ready to fit them up over the weekend. The catches and seal strip arrived while I was away so all looked good for a busy weekend. Just about to go out the door to the paint shop when I thought…best give a quick ring.

Good job I did as they're not done as they inexplicably thought I would be picking them up on the 18th. They'll be done on Monday.

So I take a look at the catches I've had delivered. All fine except the locking arm is the longer type for thicker panels. Turns out the suppliers to the company I purchased them from changed the spec long ago and never changed their info.

You just couldn't make it up.

So, if you guys don't mind an extra 20mm on the back of the catches, I can make them work just as well. If it's unacceptable, well I guess I'll just have to start searching again.

To say I'm at my wits end is an understatement.

Last edited:
I presume the extra 20mm is on the inside of the gullwings?

Not really sure what that means or looks like. 20mm of what where?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455318902.670344.jpg

On the left, what I have been sent.
On the right, what I thought I ordered. It is the prototype and is set to correct distance on the bolt.

The difference, in fact, is 8mm when the screw is fully extended on the left and flush with the top of the arm. Of course the screw could be cut on the right to bring the depth to a minimum. The difference would then be 16mm with the left encroaching by 59mm as opposed to 43mm.

Could I ask the Mods to please move posts 44 onwards on to the gullwings build thread, should make more sense there.

Ta.

Last edited:
I guess that if this would mean another delay and more grief for you then we'd be better to live with the extra. I don't really know what the implications would be to be honest. Not until I get one installed. I might then say Oh b****s or I might say, ooh actually that's quite handy. The new design looks very nicely made.

It is in fact far simpler than that Chris. I could have the catches on the right by Wednesday. They come in three heights from a different supplier. The problem is they are around £35 per catch dearer and are part of the reason I was able to get the price down.

I think I am missing something here, what do the bolts with the locking nut actually do? I thought these were just catches do they have a second function?

The bolts adjust for panel thickness. They are what closes onto the inside of the frame to hold the door closed.

Thanks Rich, I can't see any problem then with the extra length.

It's shameful that a catch could cost £35 to start with never mind costing £35 more. One question Rich, with the bit of extra length there is there any danger of catching your scalp on it when the doors are up? I mean for an average sized sort of a chap.

There is probably very little difference in catching your scalp on it Chris. I've designed them based on my standard unlifted truck to open up more than horizontal to avoid this as much as possible. On any lifted truck I expect the chances of cranial injury are significantly lessened.

My major concern was the catches hitting internally stored items on closure but whatever the length of the arm this needs taking into account with these catches, one area I don't really like about them.

I suspect in the grand scheme of things it will not matter a jot, and if I'm honest here I did consider simply sending them out with the new style catches. However I preferred to seek your opinion in a spirit of 'Glasnost'. [emoji4]

Last edited:
I trundled down to Bognor on Sunday to get the gullwings fitted, on arrival at Rich's house I realised I had left the window rubbers back in London :angry-screaming: so another day was planned, on my return back home the first thing I did was to put the box with the rubbers in the bloody truck!
Well today after a very pleasant run through the sunny English countryside I was the guinea pig for the first gullwing fitting (that should be fittings plural, as more than one attempt was needed) the previous Rich objection to a less then perfect fit was raised again.
With great perseverance the job was done by Rich after trimming the edge a bit to make them fit perfectly. All other gullwings will get the same treatment before being distributed.
I must say I am very impressed with both the wings and Rich's fitting. :bow-blue:

This is just the drivers side the other side is just as impressive. Many thanks Lynn and Rich for your hospitality. :thumbup:

103.jpg

These look a beautiful piece of kit, very impressed with them from the photos.

I wish I could justify getting some :lol:

Thanks Clive, when you see them fitted and a happy customer it makes all the struggling worthwhile.

I'm writing up some fitting instructions on the build thread as there's another pair going to their new home tomorrow and likely to be fitted if the weather holds off.

Two parcels ready for collection tomorrow. [emoji4]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459203159.541465.jpg

It's been a weekend of Gullwing building.

Back