Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series speed senders

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
As we discussed on another thread recently, it seems that after 20 years or so the speed sender units are likely to fail. My green one has already had one second hand unit fitted and has now failed again completely. My grey 80 has intermittent speedo wobbles too which knock out the Cruise Control. I figured it was time to replace them. Roughtrax sell genuine ones for a little over £200.

I searched around and found a seller in Taiwan at a very good price. I actually bought two at around £50 for a pair, shipped. They have actually sent me pictures of them, the packaging, a tracking number and finally a picture of the packet with my name and address on. Not a bad service. They do appear to be genuine with both Toyota and Nippon Denso markings. We'll see. Item Number 331663615738

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 15.15.01.jpg

Hello Chris, are these easily replaceable by an idiot? My speedo tends to stay asleep for about ten minutes on a cold morning and wakes up half way to work.

Ooooh Ahh Matey. Very much. If you are lucky you might even do it without any tools. Failing that a pair of pipe pliers might be needed to undo the locking ring. Other than that it's a plug and play replacement.

So just to save me confusing myself searching. And cos im a lil bit lazy. This will fit my 93 12v auto? Thanks Chris :icon-biggrin:

Only if they are green or white I'm afraid. The red, blue and silver ones all require a special modification.

Christ, you really ARE lazy aren't you.

Yes they fit all models.

Yay mines green! Thankyou. On the shopping list.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Chris, are these easily replaceable by an idiot? My speedo tends to stay asleep for about ten minutes on a cold morning and wakes up half way to work.

Does your odometer turn over or does the whole thing not work?

I'm fairly certain everything works just the needle seems a bit "sleepy" in the morning. But ill have to check the odo next time im in it.

If the odometer works but not the needle Nick, you will need to look at the speedo itself rather than the sender unit.

Mine used to 'wake up' a few hundred yards down the road until I fixed it. There's a thread on here if you need it.

If the odometer works but not the needle Nick, you will need to look at the speedo itself rather than the sender unit.

Mine used to 'wake up' a few hundred yards down the road until I fixed it. There's a thread on here if you need it.

Yeah, found it and replied. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the hijack Chris.

Not hijack, this is the other thread I was talking about.

That item number has ended Chris. Any other links ?

Very well tracked down and glad to see you are convinced on only using genuine Toyota parts.

Other links to the same item? Nope. I don't have any links to ones that I didn't buy I'm afraid. There were more available but maybe since I posted other eager beavers have hoovered them up Frank.

Yes only genuine for me. Unless I think it's utterly pointless of course. I have no idea if these are genuine, but they would have gone to great lengths to counterfeit them if they aren't.

On my Blue 80 the speedo is fine but the rev counter most days at start up doesn't work but normally in 10 minutes kicks on again. Seems to happen more on cold days.... is this the same problem?

No. The transfer box has a set of little gears in that drive the end of this unit. It measures the rotations as you go along. It's basically a series of pluses. The dash then interprets that into speed. Because it's physical rotation of the wheels and not revs of the engine, the pulse for the rev counter comes from elsewhere on the engine. You can do 30 mph constant in any gear. But it still reads 30 mph without knowing what gear you're in.

Chris you realise Taiwan uses a different alphabet ? After you fit your new sender your speedo will have all funny numbers on it.

Last edited:
There is always the world of 'aliexpress' that sells variants of the same sensors...whose 80 is nearing the 200k mark and is willing to have a buy? Mine isn't.

I contacted them and they sent me the relisted number as above. Bought one. Thanks Chris.

Back