Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series spring spacers

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
As the title suggest guys, I need to lift my 80 a little more. The tyres are seriously munching their way through the bodywork like they have been on a starvation diet. When JCS tyres put the package together they sold me the 7mm extra offset rims. This brings the new style Insa Special Tracks too close to the flares. Has anyone got a set of spare lift spacers available?

I know that West Coast sell them, but despite all the good nature and advice, I don't know that I'm their biggest fan. These Iron Man shocks and springs seem to rust as soon as the come out of the box and WC shrugged and said, yes, some are like that. I don't think that their prices are that keen and their P&P is way higher than most in my view. If anyone has a link to some elsewhere then post that up please. I've even taken the tent off the roof to get me up a bit more.

So what yah got in the back of your garage chaps. I'm running out of wheel arches.

Chris

If you do track some down Chris, I could do with a front & a rear - Muxley seems to have developed a penchant for a lean to the right... :|

Swap the springs round?

Chris

Chris said:
As the title suggest guys, I need to lift my 80 a little more. The tyres are seriously munching their way through the bodywork like they have been on a starvation diet. When JCS tyres put the package together they sold me the 7mm extra offset rims. This brings the new style Insa Special Tracks too close to the flares. Has anyone got a set of spare lift spacers available?

I know that West Coast sell them, but despite all the good nature and advice, I don't know that I'm their biggest fan. These Iron Man shocks and springs seem to rust as soon as the come out of the box and WC shrugged and said, yes, some are like that. I don't think that their prices are that keen and their P&P is way higher than most in my view. If anyone has a link to some elsewhere then post that up please. I've even taken the tent off the roof to get me up a bit more.

So what yah got in the back of your garage chaps. I'm running out of wheel arches.

Chris

I wasn't too impressed either when my suspension lift didn't lift the front and I had to pay extra for some spacers to get the advertised lift. When I asked how much, the reply was £10 so I thought its only £10... Except when they arrived and I looked on the invoice it was £10 each and £10 postage, so £30 extra.

i've asked a purveyor of ome spring about spacers to take up the apparent difference in height between early 80 series and the rest. I'll let you how much he charges when he gets back to me. I've looked at ebay australia as there are plenty there but they're not wonderfully cheap and the postage is about £30.

Not found anything else yet, just american vendors and postage will probably be quite a bit from there too.

Can you not just make some bumpstop spacers to deal with your problem? like these... http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/suspension_pieces_spacers.htm

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Keep me posted on that one Callum. Bump stops are already lengthened but that isn't the issue. I need to go higher. It's more when one wheel drops and the other rises. Even with a stop, the arc of the axle brings the lugs into contact with the arch.

Chris

i have just got some from westcoast 4x4 but i did see that superpro list them i went to roughtrax which is only down the road from me they couldent help so went for the westcoast in the end as i needed them fast. i have to say chris my ironman lift kit is rusting bad and i hardly go offroad i fitted it just after the bad weather this winter gone. westcoast service is not the best lol.

Ta. Like I said I'd like to avoid giving WC any more of any money really. They want £45 + vat + p&p for one pair. That's like, well 2 minus 4 = carry 3, divided by uhm, well over at least £120 of your English pounds for all four corners. For some of spacers? Which probably rust even though they aren't metal.

Nope they are the last people that I'll call. Sorry, I know that some of you are fans, but I'm not. I think their customer service stinks. I have had Milner dampers look better for longer.

Chris

If i didnt have such a crazy work load chris i would have had them sorted by now :thumbdown:

I do know from when we were laning they really were giving the truck some pain.

karl

I made some for the rear of mine but I don't think the aluminium billets would end up being cheaper than just buying some plastic ones.

Joe, I like your endorsement of my abilities, but there are certain tools required such as a lathe or moulding machine. Neither of which I have at present. I don't have plasma or even Oxy-Acet so there really is no chance of me knocking up spacers I'm afraid.

Chris

Chris have you tried Julian or Greg? They might have some seeing as they deal with 80s all the time.

Not yet, Rob. I have been busy in the garage working on top secret 'Project Phoenix' :cool:

Chris

Would a body lift solve the problem? If you only need an extra inch clearance it might be a better solution without effecting prop and steering angles.

Ian

It might Ian, but I still feel that I need a little boost in the susp dept too. I am considering a BL at the moment.

Chris

Regarding suspension, I understand you have the inronman B coils. I have found that they do not keep their ride height too well, and all it takes to bring it right down is some camping gear and a full tank of fuel (i usually have a about 60 to 100kg of recovery gear and parts in the back most of the time). Maybe you should consider some stiffer coils as well as BL or spacers? I certainly am.

Back